Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM

dingofire is surprisingly tart
Re: How will we know Wave 9 sales performance?

Well, thanks for the comments. Nice to see I didn't get blasted too badly and my tiny, single box is still barely a lovely shade of green. Also, thanks for the info about TRU.

Below is a brief summary of the Wikipedia article that I referred to originally, found here. There's certainly room for interpretation, like saying Orm's and RttFF were released at the same time, therefore they are "one release." Maybe I shouldn't count TRU exclusives? This list doesn't include re-releases of waves either, and I know those have been happening, like Kroc said. The original numbers I posted were through the very scientific method of "counting how many things Wikipedia has listed in bold per year." I certainly have no intent of spreading misinformation or causing rage or yucky feelings of any sort.

There's no other way to interpret this other than the fact that there are less now than there once was, right? That's all I was saying originally. Or that's all I meant to say.

2004:
1. RotV

2005:
1. Wave 1
2. Wave 2
3. Orm's Return
4. RttFF
5. Wave 3
6. VW

2006:
1. Wave 4
2. Raknar's Vision
3. Thaelenk Tundra
4. FotA
5. Wave 5
6. Flagbearers

2007:
1. Wave 6
2. SotM
3. Marvel
4. Wave 7

2008:
1. Wave 8
2. Aquilla's Alliance
3. Ticalla Jungle

2009:
1. Wave 9

Now, there are those wonderfully mysterious threads about October and maybe even December 2009 bringing us more new stuff. So, who knows? Just wanted to talk about it as of today.

Last edited by dingofire; August 3rd, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM

Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker

dingo, your list above is correct. Yes, count the TRU exclusives (Volcarren Wasteland and the flagbearers).

Six releases in '05 and in '06, four in '07, three in '08, one in '09.

Now as to what that means, who knows. I myself would prefer something less than 6 releases per year but more than 1 per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Feel free to spread the doom and gloom, but not with incorrect statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Really, dingofire, a little bit of fact checking. You aren't impressing anyone by moaning about things that never happened.
Hmmmmmmm?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Well, if the above wikipedia list is correct, I apologize; I didn't consider the flagbearers and TRU exclusives as part of the term "expansions and waves," but they count too, so I stand corrected. I was also under the impression that the first year of Heroscape production was a full year that saw more than the RotV release.

That said, I still don't see the slowdown of product as evidence for doom & gloom. If anything, the first few years were an explosion of product that has now settled into a more reasonable pace (particularly if you believe Truth about working on new Heroscape projects with WotC). There are plenty of 'Scapers here who've said that a 1 Wave-per-year schedule, with the occasional terrain and large hero expansion, would be just fine. I happen to be one of them.
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Another thing to keep in mind is that Hasbro has been doing reprints of stuff throughout this whole time. Unlike Magic which goes out of print on purpose to get you to buy new stuff, everything in HS is slated to come back eventually unless it's not feasible. Even then, they've scaled down the costs on Rise of the Valkyrie a couple times (fewer dice, thinner cardstock, opaque water, etc.) to get it to come back. There were reprints of Waves 2, 3, 5, 7 and I think 6 last year. Wave 1 came back this year.

So even when it looks like they're making less stuff, they're still pumping out reprints as well as the new stuff, so it's probably doing all right... right?

And dingofire, you should probably be glad that there hasn't been a ton of new stuff. You've got a lot to catch up on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just want to eat my share of mud pie here.

I stand absolutely corrected dingofire, I am truly amazed at the number of releases in the early years.

I'm still not depressed, though, the changeover to WOTC has cost us quite a bit of time, and frankly, my dear, I don't think 6 releases a year forever would be good for the game.

I like the one new one in the summer per year pace, JUST IN TIME FOR MY BIRTHDAY! Yea! OK, I know, one for Christmas would be gravy too. But no more than 2 new per year, please. I already have a hard enough time keeping up.

Thing is that unlike games like Magic (as far as I know) with this game you really need to have all the pieces to maximize your joy. It's more like chess than card collecting. You want to analyze the combinations, think about how the new units alter the metagame.

Too many and not only would the quality surely go down but my limited comprehension of the game would change to absolute mush. I have enough mush in my head already. And not enough on my plate, for some reason they don't sell grits in Turkey. Yummm, for some good grits.
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM

dingofire is surprisingly tart

When I was 6, my friend Diego and I made a mud pie with marbles in it. We each ate a bite. Everyone should try mud pie at least once, Kroc.

I think the ultimate point lies in Jexik and Kroc's answers, though, and I'm glad it's shone through. I'll paraphrase, with every intent of making their words my own: "yeah, it might be really neato (phraseology added for effect) for there to be a bunch of new expansions every year, but unless we have unlimited space and money, and our wives have unlimited patience, it might get old eventually." Too much might actually stand as a hindrance to the game's growth, too (gasp!).

And maybe, just maybe, WotC realizes this, and they've simply converted Hasbro's shotgun model of releases into delicate little gooey bits of goodness which we can all ingest at our leisure (pronounce that leh-zure to get the full effect) without choking. Now, I've got a bunch of catching up to do! nom nom nom....
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
There were reprints of Waves 2, 3, 5, 7 and I think 6 last year.

Five reprints in one year!

There is no way I could afford that! A new release and a reprint is ok once every six to nine months IMO.

Have mercy on our pocket books.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I'd be happy with 2 waves (or susbsitute a wave with a Large Hero & Terrain Expansion pack or a new Master Set)released per year, one early in the summer (mid May to mid June) and one right before Christmas (Early Nov to Early Dec).

I just think they need to make fewer copies of each new release so they will get cleared off the shelves faster, making room for a few small reprints of older waves each year as well.

Right now I have Wave 8 left overs from last sumer clogging up all the store shelves in my local area. Wave 9 and the Wave 1 reprint have yet to hit the store shelves, and while I shop online not everyone who plays/buys Heroscape does.

They would move more product faster if people who just shop in store actually saw a larger variety of figures avilable for purchase. Seeing the same guys on the shelf month after month just needlessly stalls Heroscape sales to the detrament of WOTC (Hasbro), retailers (Walmart), and players (Us).
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

We still have Wave 5 clogging up some shelves around here...

And I agree that the longevity of this game is linked to not doing too much new product and cycling through old product. 1-2 releases of new things mixed with ample reprints is enough to keep the game alive and interesting without burning it out, imo.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion