Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:40 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
Re: A list of Classics

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; September 23rd, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Here are my suggestions:

The Brothers Karamzov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's long and dense, but ultimately worth it.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Many people recommend 1984 , but I find BNW to be much more applicable to the course of modern society.

The Great Gatsby, by F.Scott Fitzgerald. This is possibly my favorite book-it is beautiful, nostalgic and full of amazing insights into life.

For Whom the Bell Tolls/The Old Man and the Sea/A Farewell to Arms, all by Ernest Hemingway. These are all breathtaking works of literature, and Hemingway's clipped, masculine prose only makes them better.

The Grapes of Wrath/The Red Pony, both by Steinbeck. These are both very sad and poignant books, and are well worth reading.

To the Lighthouse, by Virgina Woolf. This is the most accessible introduction to modernist, stream-of-consciousness literature ever written. Plus, it is very moving.

Dubliners, by James Joyce. This is a collection of 15 hort stories; the final story, The Dead, is magnificent.

These are just a sampling of the books I consider worth reading. There are many more that I could name, but the above is a good starting point.

Have fun!

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart101 View Post
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Many people recommend 1984 , but I find BNW to be much more applicable to the course of modern society.
Or, you could just read both like I did.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
I read both. I liked both, but I consider BNW the best of the two.

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

Old October 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

~Bravey
I didn't care for any of the characters in Brave New World like I did for Winston and Julia.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM
Needs Reassurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

~Bravey
I didn't care for any of the characters in Brave New World like I did for Winston and Julia.
Oh, that's very true. Orwell manages to really let you get attached to the characters, whereas you can only pity or despise the characters in BNW. Still, I prefer it simply because Huxely did such a magnificent job of painting a frighteningly real picture of the future. Until the Soviet Union fell, 1984 held that place, but I really think the future from BNW is the most apposite to modern times.

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How about:

The Twilight series
The Hunger Games
50 Shades of Grey
and my personal favorite, Justin Bieber: The Unauthorized Biography

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Needs Reassurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 View Post
How about:

The Twilight series
The Hunger Games
50 Shades of Grey
and my personal favorite, Justin Bieber: The Unauthorized Biography
Awesome!

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:11 AM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A few books I recommend, which I believe have not yet been suggested...

Les Miserable This is quite lengthy, as I've heard it's the longest stand-alone piece of literature ever written [could be wrong though.] It took me a fair amount of time to get read, and parts of it were pretty dry and didn't seem to have a lot to with the storyline itself, but I definitely think it's worth the read.

Chronicles of Narnia (One should not go through life without having read these).

Ivanhoe

The Iliad

Phantastes: A Faerie Romance for Men and Women. This book by a George Macdonald is a curious work, about a man who ends up in fairy land. This was a major inspiration to CS Lewis. So if you enjoy his works (and I recommend all of them) this is a must.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:32 AM

KnobleSavage is surprisingly tart

Tarzan of the Apes
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM
Girl (Super)Power!

Strange_Love rolls all skulls baby! Strange_Love rolls all skulls baby! Strange_Love rolls all skulls baby! Strange_Love rolls all skulls baby!

My favorite author is Jane Austin. So any of her books make the top list of classics for me. My all time favorite being Pride and Prejudice.

I also enjoy the sequels to the classics. (most recently read Darcy's Temptation) Often they are written by other authors but take up where the story left off. Some of them do not keep with the style but others are great. This also means I enjoyed Jo's Boys and Little Men which were sequels to Little Women. But both Little Men and Jo's Boys were written by Louisa May Alcott the original author of Little Women.

Also A Wrinkle in Time is a great read. I read it when I was in 5th grade. It is a sci-fi book everyone should read.

Robinson Crusoe is also a great one.And of course The Adventures of Huck Fin and Tom Sawyer....Looking at my bookshelf I could go on and on.

Last edited by Strange_Love; October 3rd, 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: saw more books!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books