Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
The Book of Fen Hydra

The Book of Fen Hydra
Champions of the Forgotten Realms - Collection 11 (D1) - "Warriors of the Ghostlight Fen"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check the Heroscapers Gallery for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio:
(Truth's front-page description)
:
Here it is. Big Bertha. The Fen Hydra sends those Heroes that can’t take the pressure running home to mommy. The Hydra clocks in with a massive beginning attack value of 4 attacks at 4 each. To add insult to injury (usually literally) it also has a REACH ability that allows it to attack out at 2 spaces within certain vertical limitations . . . All in all a VERY scary opponent and a fun figure to play, but a good strategy and a hearty tank will help your army prevail against even the most dangerous of foes!

Q: How do Uncommon Heroes work?
A:
See The Book of Feral Troll, Clarifications section.

HYDRA HEADS vs. COUNTERSTRIKE
Q:
If the Fen Hydra has at least two attacks, attacks a figure with counterstrike, and takes wounds, does it lose its remaining attack(s)?
A: Yes. "The effect is instantaneous and you lose whatever number of attacks you took in wounds." (Well-put, Fourshadow). So, you know, be careful.

REACH = Ranged Attack
Q: If the Fen Hydra Attacks a figure 2 spaces away using its REACH Special Ability, does the Reach-ed figure receive the Defense Bonus from Jungle Trees and Brush?
A: Yes. REACH gives the Hydra a normal ranged Attack with vertical limitations. A Reach-ed figure Defends against a normal ranged Attack, including any bonuses to its Defense which it would normally get under those circumstances. This also means that melee Attack-bonuses (such as those offered by Finn the Viking Champion and Sir Gilbert) cannot modify an Attack made using REACH.

4 Heads & Targeting:
Q:
The Fen Hydra has 4 Heads with 4 distinct targeting points. Do I need to use a different targeting point for each Attack made with the Fen Hydra?
A: No. Use whichever is convenient for each Attack. You don't need to declare which point you are using, and every point remains available as long as the Fen Hydra remains in play, even as it loses lives.

Synergy Benefits Received
- ORNAK : Red Flag of Fury
As a Unique Hero that follows Utgar, the Fen Hydra may benefit from Ornak’s RED FLAG OF FURY activation synergy.
Synergy Benefits Offered
N/A
Terrain Benefits Received
-Water Tiles : SLITHER :
The Fen Hydra does not have to stop its movement on a Water Space.
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-
Fen Hydra- What's your army idea?

Hydra vs. Counterstrike
Power Rankings

Jexik: Fen Hydra- This is a Kaemon Awa quality hero. Gentlemen, start your lawnmowers. A

OEAO: A

Cleon: Tier 10 (6/208)

dok (VC inclusive): A

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

(Image courtesy of Guru. Thanks for this great shot. I have no idea how you're riding the horse and holding the camera at the same time)

Last edited by superfrog; March 15th, 2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: What's the hydra's favorite toothbrush brand? REACH!
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of the Fen Hydra

The Hydra is my favorite D1 hero. I wanted to see how it would perform against my favorite 120 point hero, Krug. I ran tests to see who would be the first to win 4 games.

Krug won the first match and had 3 wounds at the end. The Hydra won matches 2 and 3 with no wounds in each game. Krug won the next 3 matches with 4, 7 and 6 wounds. The Hydra definitely has a chance against Krug but in my testing, without height advantage or bonuses, Krug came out victorious. Since Krug's starting attack is so low, and the Hydra's defense is so high, it really didn't matter who got to attack first.
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:17 PM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
Since Krug's starting attack is so low, and the Hydra's defense is so high, it really didn't matter who got to attack first.
Unless the Hydra has lost initiative and wait for turn 3 to attack. If it wins initiative the round after, it should finish the battle. That's an advantage I see it having over Krug.
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

For 570 points, 3 x Phantom Knights and 3 x Fen Hydras makes a killer army. Learning the order marker management takes a little bit of practice, but once you figure out how to use the uncommons together effectively, it really is powerful.
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Got the Fen Hyrda's out for a spin. Coupled with Raelin and Kelda plus Ornak it can really present the oppponent with, "What do I take out first?"

The Hyrda's are dangerous with that kind of support. Can't kill the Hydra until you take out Raelin. Can't kill kill Raelin till you take out Kelda. Hard to take out Kelda with Raelin nearby. And meanwhile as time ticks by Ornak is giving both Hyrda's a turn each round. Devesetaing.
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
Got the Fen Hyrda's out for a spin. Coupled with Raelin and Kelda plus Ornak it can really present the oppponent with, "What do I take out first?"

The Hyrda's are dangerous with that kind of support. Can't kill the Hydra until you take out Raelin. Can't kill kill Raelin till you take out Kelda. Hard to take out Kelda with Raelin nearby. And meanwhile as time ticks by Ornak is giving both Hyrda's a turn each round. Devesetaing.
Order Management with that is a horror though. First OM is fine, but are your Hydra's just going to sit there while you mosey up Raelin AND Kelda? Because they have to stay near Raelin and Kelda has to end up next to Raelin to work. Not saying that it won't work well if played expertly, just that it would be very difficult to do so.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM

JusticeProctor Woo who?

I haven't played with the Fen Hydra yet, but have played a couple of games against it. Unless you bring something ranged and powerful against this beast, most figures costing less than 100 points or so are going to get mowed down, without the Hydra skipping a beat.

While not as intimidating as Q9, the Hydra is something of a "can I take this out?" if you can't range it down.

"All your melees belong to us!", hisses the Hydra.

Jesus Saves! ......everyone else takes full damage.
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:41 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:

Order Management with that is a horror though. First OM is fine, but are your Hydra's just going to sit there while you mosey up Raelin AND Kelda? Because they have to stay near Raelin and Kelda has to end up next to Raelin to work. Not saying that it won't work well if played expertly, just that it would be very difficult to do so.
I didn't have a problem doing it
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:

I didn't have a problem doing it
Hence "not saying that it won't work well if played expertly"

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I haven't tried Raelin/Kelda/Ornak/Hydras, but I have tried Raelin/Kelda/Hydras.

My first round OM's went like this:

1 - Raelin. Fly her out to a perch in position.

2 - Kelda. If Raelin got shot after OM#1, heal her. Also get into position.

3 - Hydra. Move up, stare ominously, and bite at the air.

I could also see switching around #1 and #3 there, especially if, after you move the Hydra up first turn, it's still in Raelin's aura. Either way, I like Kelda with the #2 or #3 that round to do some immediate healing if your figures take wounds getting into position.

The next round depends on what the opponent is doing and the map, but if you can load up on the Hydra they'll be in some trouble. During the game, I found myself going 1,2,X - Hydra and 3 - Kelda a lot. That was my plan until the first Hydra died. Problem was it never did.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

All this stuff about Raelin and Kelda, the Kyrie that I think works best with the Hydra is Taelord. You get up to 4 attacks of 5 and only have to worry about 1 figure staying within the aura unlike a squad.
If you finish off the army with something that can handle range or help the combo make it to the enemy its devistating.

If I can find the right units to finish the army off from this core and fit the parameters I might just take this army to my area's next tournament.

Last edited by ElvenEnvy; March 27th, 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM

JusticeProctor Woo who?

ElvenEnvy, I disagree with your Taelord comment "only have to worry about 1 figure staying within the aura". That's the beauty of Raelin versus Taelord (not just in this instance but in just about every one with any other figure). The difference of having a longer leash (4 or 6 vs 1), not to mention costing half the points, is what makes Rae the better cheerleader here. The hydra needs some maneuverability to attack the max number of figures.

It's the Hydra's defense that needs the increase, to keep it's already fearsome attack at it's fullest. It doesn't really need any help in in offense department!

Jesus Saves! ......everyone else takes full damage.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units