Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM

KeeperOfPeace is surprisingly tart
Warhammer 40K

Who here plays Warhammer 40K? I was thinking about starting it, but I know nearly nothing about it except that it is expensive. I have decided that I really want to play Tau since I am a HUGE mecha fan. All of that armor, guns, and mechs makes me feel all happy inside.

Old May 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
This should be in the Other Games section, yes?

No, I haven't played 40K, I did play Fantasy a long long while ago...
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Darnit, I keep posting in the wrong areas. Sorry.

Old May 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Haha. Its all good.

Now to get a mod to move it....errr admin to move it.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Sapper has disabled reputation
WH40K is cool, but you are right it is expensive. I had a small Ork army and never played so I got rid of it. WH also takes alot of time, having to paint and customize your army. But if you have the time, money, patience....go for it.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM

daevablacc has disabled reputation
I've played WH40K and I still have the figures. Here's my advice:

Get the figures and make HS stats for them that mimic their WH40K stats.

The games are more time-consuming and tedious than HS so I have more fun playing HS. My brother & I got bogged down by all the measuring and such. But that's just my opinion and the opinion of my brother. You may find it to be quite fun.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Well the first game I ever played was Mechwarrior Miniatures. So measuring is nothing more to me than remembering the good old days. The only thing I dislike about measuring is the arguements that start. I don't really mind paiting units. And assembling them is no biggy.

That is why HS is such a great game. You count the hexes and there is no possible arguement except for line of sight.

I know I wouldn't be able to play all the time, but it just looks like such a sweet game I can't really just ignore it.

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker
If your a miniature painter and have the cash, go for it. I played for years but got out of it because of the ever rising prices. The game is fun, much more involved than HS, and opponents are readily available at almost any hobby store. But, please, paint your minis. Nothing looks worse on a nicely terrained gaming table that two silver armies battling it out.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
If your low on cash get thje computer game. Its a lots more interesting. I believe the second expansion is comming out near the end of the year

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old May 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM

dlaw008 has disabled reputation
W40k is an okay game. There's nothing inherently wrong with it. But there are some conditions that you should know about before you decide to get into it. All of this is my experience and may not reflect others':

First - it is really expensive. More expensive than you think it is. Much more.
Second - it is time consuming. Actually playing the game is about 5% of the total time you will spend on creating, assembling, painting, basing, etc.
Third - W40k players can be a picky lot. Many are great. Just as many will insist that you cannot play with your unpainted/ primed/ not WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). I.E. "that is a bolter, not a storm bolter that your marine is holding, and therefore you only roll x dice instead of y dice like your army sheet says!"
And Fourth - the 5% of the time you spend playing can be an absolute dicefest. It always kind of cracks me up when I post at other boards that people ought to try Heroscape and they suggest that it is too dice heavy, but they'll turn around and play 40k.

It all comes down to W40k is almost totally concentrated on the modelling/ painting aspect and not the gaming.

Good luck if you choose to try it (You may not expect this, but I used to love it and owned three complete armies).

-Doug

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General