Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old August 4th, 2020, 10:28 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I Mean?

Could just give M.A.R.S. 4 or 5 range and call it good.

~Dysole, thinking there's an interesting dynamic with the normal attack being higher attack and lower range than the special
Old August 5th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Not to knock your idea really but to be honest I'm not that fond of this design. I liked some of the concepts in the original design thread better as it fit more in line with the Havech link concept which I prefer. MARS just seems very plain to me.

Sorry for some folks who are curious as that is not an open forum.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old August 5th, 2020, 09:28 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

It's somewhat plain in text, but it's not plain in gameplay. A double explosion is pretty frightening, and I suspect it plays dynamically and thematically.

I am also concerned about Hoplitron bonding. Partly because adding such a powerful ranged special attack to a bonding army is terrifying, and partly because it likely outshines other Hoplitron bonding options. As Dysole noted, this is easily overcome with a little Range. Actually, I think Attack 3 Range 5 would be occasionally useful, as Missile Barrage also hits friendlies.
Old August 5th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Hopies already play well with lots of soulborgs so no theme issue. I'm less concerned with Mars out shining other soul borg builds and like 616 you cannot set up a good attack in one turn there is a limit already.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 5th, 2020, 10:25 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Could just give M.A.R.S. 4 or 5 range and call it good.

~Dysole, thinking there's an interesting dynamic with the normal attack being higher attack and lower range than the special
That's a good idea. I had mostly been considering either 1R with a high attack or ~5-7 range with a low attack as options, but a short range with a high attack still has value.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how the complete lack of range currently makes M.A.R.S. quite often deal collateral damage. There's something inherently satisfying in watching an explosion take out 5 figures, even if 2-3 of them are your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Not to knock your idea really but to be honest I'm not that fond of this design. I liked some of the concepts in the original design thread better as it fit more in line with the Havech link concept which I prefer. MARS just seems very plain to me.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a design. I don't think that this is the place to discuss the old brainstorm, though.

Scytale also pretty much hit the nail on the head. On paper, M.A.R.S. might seem a bit boring, but in practice, the double explosion SA plays very uniquely and really defines the unit. Both when playing with and against M.A.R.S., his sheer potential for destruction really has the potential to change how you play the game, even with a relatively small tweak to a tried-and-true power. I'll have another trademark long post for when I eventually resubmit him, but the Missile Barrage SA definitely makes for a fun and compelling design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
I am also concerned about Hoplitron bonding. Partly because adding such a powerful ranged special attack to a bonding army is terrifying, and partly because it likely outshines other Hoplitron bonding options. As Dysole noted, this is easily overcome with a little Range. Actually, I think Attack 3 Range 5 would be occasionally useful, as Missile Barrage also hits friendlies.
Yeah, I'm heavily considering increasing his range a little bit. From my testing, the Hoplitrons are a significant enough improvement to him that he feels comparatively underwhelming for his points without them. I think that dropping the synergy altogether lets him slide more into his own niche and be primarily balanced around that, rather than around the Hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Hopies already play well with lots of soulborgs so no theme issue. I'm less concerned with Mars out shining other soul borg builds and like 616 you cannot set up a good attack in one turn there is a limit already.
I agree that there isn't really a thematic issue with him working with the Hoplitrons. My issues with the synergy are mostly because I'd prefer for him to be more standalone, especially since current testing with the Hoplitrons indicates that he becomes much better when he isn't your only figure moving on the board. I intend to at least give it a couple more games to see if the synergy is truly going to dominate the design, but if it is, then I'll just cut it out altogether.
Old August 6th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I agree that there isn't really a thematic issue with him working with the Hoplitrons. My issues with the synergy are mostly because I'd prefer for him to be more standalone, especially since current testing with the Hoplitrons indicates that he becomes much better when he isn't your only figure moving on the board. I intend to at least give it a couple more games to see if the synergy is truly going to dominate the design, but if it is, then I'll just cut it out altogether.
I think a standalone hero is a stronger design in keeping with classis scape sensibilities.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 6th, 2020, 08:12 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post

There's nothing wrong with not liking a design. I don't think that this is the place to discuss the old brainstorm, though.

Scytale also pretty much hit the nail on the head. On paper, M.A.R.S. might seem a bit boring, but in practice, the double explosion SA plays very uniquely and really defines the unit. Both when playing with and against M.A.R.S., his sheer potential for destruction really has the potential to change how you play the game, even with a relatively small tweak to a tried-and-true power. I'll have another trademark long post for when I eventually resubmit him, but the Missile Barrage SA definitely makes for a fun and compelling design.
Maybe however I think it's the lack of durability that I question overall. I suppose at the price point it's not bad per say however with the limited amount of soulborgs that Valkrill has and the size of the miniature I was hoping for more. The "old brainstorm" worked to impart the concept of the Havech durability with ways to mitigate damage ala the Incindiborgs. Of course I realize that many believe them to be a bit overpowered and all but I liked the ideas that linked back to that concept.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old August 28th, 2020, 02:17 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I recently began fleshing out the Yokai side of Masha Shingai more, and I've settled on the bones of a faction that explores the unique shapeshifting potential of Yokai and how weird they can be. All of the reasonably-progressed drafts so far are within the last few pages of my customs thread, but there are two that I'd specifically like more feedback on (especially since I recently realized that the sculpts are currently plentiful online).

The first is the "controller" for the faction, Abe no Seimei:

With Seimei, I mostly wanted to create a completely unique controller unit and ensure that the faction plays completely differently from everything else. Since Masha is currently the only designed Yokai, I wanted each unit to provide some utility to forming a cohesive build, while Seimei is more of the glue that ties them together. To that end, most of the Yokai are based around revealed Order Markers to some extent, just like Masha's Terror of the Honorless. When combined into one faction, though, this would be very prohibitive in terms of OM placement: to counterbalance this, Seimei's Night of the Yokai essentially lets you choose which Yokai boost to activate after each turn, making those powers easier to activate. Normally, moving revealed OMs is useless, but it represents a lot of utility to the Yokai and really emphasizes what makes them unique.

Shapeshift is the other defining power here, since it adds a ton of mobility to the faction. Although not all Yokai are known for shapeshifting, it's definitely a major theme and the faction would feel incomplete without it. It essentially frees up the OM competition even more while still avoiding consolidating OMs--since any Yokai can take their turn from any other Yokai's position, OM placement becomes much more about which figures/powers you want to take advantage of for that turn. Combined with Night of the Yokai and unique revealed OM-dependent powers, the Yokai will have a ton of strategic freedom and play very uniquely.

Finally, Divination is specifically an ode to Abe no Seimei's legend. Historically, Seimei was the most famous Onmyoji (think of a mystic expert). He acted as a royal advisor in the Imperial Court, and he was generally an expert in the supernatural and predicting the future. After his death, tons of legends began to spread about Seimei, saying that he was half-Yokai himself, that he's immortal, and that he could control minor Oni from a very early age. He's essentially been equated to the Merlin of Japan at this point, and he's a very big part of the Yokai mythos. He makes perfect sense as a controller for the faction, IMO, and Divination is a critical part of his theme.

Mechanically, Divination also does a lot to tie multiple Yokai into one army. Bringing a fourth revealed Order Marker to the table (even if it can't be moved currently) does a lot to make taking many Yokai palatable, since otherwise there would be a hard cap of 3 "powers" activated per round. Currently, Masha's the easy choice for that X OM, though I'm hoping to give him some competition as new Yokai are fleshed out.

The second Yokai is the faction's source of mobility, Kinchо̄:

Given that the intention is for most of the Yokai to be Unique Heroes (much in the vein of the Lawmen, Ninjas, or Monks, where each general "gets their own Yokai" that fleshes out their themes more), developing the faction is going to be difficult. Seimei lets any Yokai take their turn from the position of any other Yokai, but they fundamentally are still moving one Unique Hero per turn, which makes board control quite difficult.

Kinchо̄ lets the faction develop an additional Yokai per turn through his Tanuki Trickery power and Seimei's Shapeshifting (plus, the Trickery is much easier to achieve with Night of the Yokai). Athletic Defense lets him serve as a blocker in standalone/monk builds, or it lets him be a little more creative in where to leave himself for the next Yokai. When combined with Phantom Walk, it makes for a very dynamic and different unit, one that rewards creativity and weird strategies.

Kinchо̄ is also a Monk currently. I've tested him with Lao Xin several times now, and the synergy is not untenable. Ideally, I'd like for most of the Yokai to be a part of two factions, which makes it easier for them to see time on the table (much like how Masha excels with the Samurai, but can also protect the Yokai from squads). Kinchо̄ is definitely a new tool for the Monk army, but the trademark need for revealed Order Markers means that you have to give up some development and offensive power to activate the Trickery. It has been a fairly balanced synergy so far.

Overall, the core of Seimei, Masha, and Kinchо̄ makes for a very promising start to the faction, IMO. Obviously, they alone aren't enough to fully define the faction, but the other drafts that I've been working on are less polished and are undergoing more refinement currently. I'd like to get some feelers on these two specifically, while the availability for their sculpts is still ripe.
Old August 28th, 2020, 03:49 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Abe no Seimei
I appreciate that you're trying to create a very different sort of controller. I like the idea of a faction that relies on placements of revealed order markers; now what the faction needs is a unit that gets a benefit from not having any revealed order markers. The place-swapping is interesting, though it should be limited to normal movements or things will get very messy. It's also pretty broken with squads (if there were ever yokai squads), as you could chain-move a member of the squad across the map. Probably best to limit to heroes, or once per turn.

Kinchо̄
First, I do not like the use of 'о̄' instead of just 'o'. (And you won't find a bigger anime fan than me.) I'm not sure what the unit's role is. He isn't tough enough to be a defender, and his attack is too puny to be a front-line fighter or an assassin, despite his powers pushing him in those directions. What you have is a mobile guy who can't fight and has no cheerleader abilities.
Old August 28th, 2020, 04:02 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

How available is the Kincho figure?
I think C3G uses his hat for Raiden and thought I remember someone saying the figure was not easy to acquire.
Maybe it was just expensive?
Old August 29th, 2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Abe no Seimei
I appreciate that you're trying to create a very different sort of controller. I like the idea of a faction that relies on placements of revealed order markers; now what the faction needs is a unit that gets a benefit from not having any revealed order markers. The place-swapping is interesting, though it should be limited to normal movements or things will get very messy. It's also pretty broken with squads (if there were ever yokai squads), as you could chain-move a member of the squad across the map. Probably best to limit to heroes, or once per turn.
I was actually intending to leave it open to at least Unique Squads in case suitable sculpts are found, but this approach does pretty much exclude the possibility of a Common Yokai Squad in most cases, I'd imagine.

The idea of a unit that benefits from having no revealed Order Markers is interesting. I'll definitely have to figure out a way to explore that more.

I didn't realize that the current wording would allow for Shapeshift to trigger for special movements as well (the intent is for it to only trigger during normal movement, not during powers like Athletic Defense). Here's a quick stab at wording to fix this and make the power more squad-friendly:
SHAPESHIFT
Before moving normally with any Yokai figure that you control, you may first switch it with any other Yokai figure that you control. Figures can only be moved by Shapeshift once per turn, and they never take any leaving engagement attacks.
Like you noted, the best alternative would probably be to limit it to Yokai Heroes or to once per turn, which at least allows for some synergy with squads.

Quote:
Kinchо̄
First, I do not like the use of 'о̄' instead of just 'o'. (And you won't find a bigger anime fan than me.) I'm not sure what the unit's role is. He isn't tough enough to be a defender, and his attack is too puny to be a front-line fighter or an assassin, despite his powers pushing him in those directions. What you have is a mobile guy who can't fight and has no cheerleader abilities.
The name is actually from a specific Tanuki legend, so I kept the macron in place. It's definitely problematic in terms of typing, though, especially since many keyboards don't have a default convenient binding for it like the umlauts on Dünd. The design itself isn't terribly based on the actual Kinchо̄, too, so I can live with dropping it.

He's surprisingly tough with his stats (I actually had to nerf him after initial testing indicated that he was too strong on his own), especially against melee forces. In a Monk build, he's been useful as an initial teleporter and as a road-block, though they benefit more from another squad of Shaolins (or even two squads of rats, which are of course more efficient blockers). The 3 attack stops him from being viable as a pure assassin in that build, which would otherwise concern me with Tanuki Trickery and Lao Xin's Sifu.

In a Yokai build, his role basically becomes a ferry for the other Yokai--ideally, you want him to stay relatively safe to keep your movement options open. Once you're done switching units out of the Starting Zone, he has some minor positioning usefulness still via Athletic Defense, albeit the randomness of his movement stops it from being overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
How available is the Kincho figure?
I think C3G uses his hat for Raiden and thought I remember someone saying the figure was not easy to acquire.
Maybe it was just expensive?
There were over 100 copies online when I last checked yesterday. The highest price that I saw was roughly $6 (he averaged $3-4). Perhaps they were referring to the actual modding process? The figure itself seems pretty plentiful to me.
Old August 29th, 2020, 01:15 PM

Leo Ultra is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Abe no Seimei
The place-swapping is interesting, though it should be limited to normal movements or things will get very messy. It's also pretty broken with squads (if there were ever yokai squads), as you could chain-move a member of the squad across the map. Probably best to limit to heroes, or once per turn.
That's a good point. We do have a Unique Squad in the works and this is a concern, although we do not intend to create any Common Squads in the Yokai faction, or at least, no Common Yokai Squads. For fixing the glaring unwanted synergy of moving A, swapping A and B, then moving B, I'm thinking about how we can word something that distinguishes between Army Cards. For example,

"Before moving normally with any Yokai figure you control, you may first switch it with a Yokai you control with a different name. Figures moved by Shapeshift never take any leaving engagement attacks."

I wish you high rolls, fair winds, and following seas.
I am a proud member of Platyfly!, a sketch comedy YouTube channel dedicated to giving Platypi the Flying Special Power!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards