Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Brease is surprisingly tart
Re: HyGroundTiles- 3D printing custom terrain

We really appreciate hearing your input. You have to remember kickstarter is to help cover the hundreds of molds needed to produce all the pieces and that is expensive! Shipping is also included which raises the price. We may work on adding a smaller pledge level. Especially if people are interested in small things like the Chasm Mat. It's great hearing what everyone has to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I'll be surprised if it meets that $150,000 goal. The wood based gaming terrain kickstarters I backed did not clear $100,000. Especially when those who are not interested in the base $70 set can't order any of the add-on sets. I went from a potential backer interested in the Ewok village, the Forrest Set, the Dock (but not the water), that Giant Flower, and a few other single hex items to not a backer at all. That Chasm Mat is really cool too, I certainly would have at least bought that if nothing else.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:20 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'm interested in seeing a demonstration of how well these tiles work with Heroscape tiles.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:36 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

Just my 2 cents
I don't really understand the want for Heroscape tiles to be used along-side Hyground tiles. Personally, I want the Hyground tiles to, more or less, take over the Heroscape community and allow for newer player to get into the game easier. Thus, I think old player should evolve and use the new tiles. I will still be keeping some old heroscape tiles but I plan on even possibly selling some old tiles so I can help make the new ones. I think that if this project gets off the ground it will help grow the Heroscape community and help keep it alive. Who needs compatibility when you can have players!
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
Just my 2 cents
I don't really understand the want for Heroscape tiles to be used along-side Hyground tiles. Personally, I want the Hyground tiles to, more or less, take over the Heroscape community and allow for newer player to get into the game easier. Thus, I think old player should evolve and use the new tiles. I will still be keeping some old heroscape tiles but I plan on even possibly selling some old tiles so I can help make the new ones. I think that if this project gets off the ground it will help grow the Heroscape community and help keep it alive. Who needs compatibility when you can have players!
I get that, and I certainly hope that this can encourage new people to get involved and will make it possible for people who found the game too late to get some terrain. But here's why I want them to work with Heroscape official tiles:
7 RotV
3 SotM
3 BftU
4 RttFF
4 FotA
2 TT
2 VW
3 Marvel

As much as I want this project to be successful and help the Scape community as a whole, I have too much invested in the official terrain to chuck it and buy all new stuff. For me to invest money, I need it to work with the official Scape terrain.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

I think $70 for the base set is very reasonable. That's a LOT of tiles, definitely a Master Set's worth as far as Heroscape goes, and this is being produced by a smaller company, direct to buyers, without the advantages that Hasbro had. Some of the add-ons are a bit pricy but there's so many little sculpted bits I'm not really surprised there. The lava set looks comparable tile-wise to Volcarren Wasteland and is only a few bucks more expensive.

The high goal is definitely a barrier, though. Hopefully you guys stick with it if this one doesn't work, though, as it IS a good idea and definitely has an audience.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
I get that, and I certainly hope that this can encourage new people to get involved and will make it possible for people who found the game too late to get some terrain. But here's why I want them to work with Heroscape official tiles:
7 RotV
3 SotM
3 BftU
4 RttFF
4 FotA
2 TT
2 VW
3 Marvel

As much as I want this project to be successful and help the Scape community as a whole, I have too much invested in the official terrain to chuck it and buy all new stuff. For me to invest money, I need it to work with the official Scape terrain.
But that's what I'm talking about, I dont have quite as much as you but still a hefty collection. I'm going to offer much of my terrain for sale and give proceeds to Hyground. Mostly I expect to sell to collectors or something, but I really want to see these tiles thrive. I understand the investment you already have, but if were looking at Heroscape 5 years from now, it will have to survive on something like these tiles.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:57 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'm somewhere in between the two of you. My collection is about half the size of mac122's (literally a little less than half) and I'm not interested in selling it, but I think the HyGroundTiles look awesome and would love to have some. I also like what they would do for keeping the game alive. Without being willing to sell my current tiles, I don't have lots of capital to dump on it though. I will be thinking about it over the coming days--if I don't spend all my $$ at GenCon I will definitely be considering going in at one of the lower entry levels.

--

I think the prices are very reasonable. The first Heroscape Master set was underpriced for the amount of plastic you got from it, really.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM

ScottyZ is surprisingly tart

Maybe a better approach would be to begin with less options, thus lowering the cost. I would start with a basic tile and several different color tops. Trees and stuff are cool, but each "thing" is another mold.

My custom Units and Terrain (coming soon).
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:29 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

I totally agree with ScottyZ. They should start with plain brown base plus 3 or 4 caps and a tree or two to boost sales.

Getting one of each unique tile type or set costs 464$. And sets like desert or oasis don't have enough sand to build a proper island or desert area.
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Considering the increased cost of materials since Scape started, and the factors johnny mentioned, the prices are not unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
But that's what I'm talking about, I dont have quite as much as you but still a hefty collection. I'm going to offer much of my terrain for sale and give proceeds to Hyground. Mostly I expect to sell to collectors or something, but I really want to see these tiles thrive. I understand the investment you already have, but if were looking at Heroscape 5 years from now, it will have to survive on something like these tiles.
To each his own. IMHO, if you are expecting a significant number of people to sell off their collections to switch to this, I believe you will be disappointed. However, if it is shown that these tiles can work along side official Scape, many of those that have significant terrain collections will be enthusiastic customers, especially for those pieces that add something new.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
To each his own. IMHO, if you are expecting a significant number of people to sell off their collections to switch to this, I believe you will be disappointed. However, if it is shown that these tiles can work along side official Scape, many of those that have significant terrain collections will be enthusiastic customers, especially for those pieces that add something new.
I don't really expect people to change the way I am because it does require a certain amount of effort. Although, I think the change could be embraced easier if some people are willing to, i suppose, show the rest what it's like. I'm not trying to grandstand, I'm just excited for the evolution of scape. I definitely will still be using some old tiles, I just don't care too much if they are compatible is all.
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

If the goal is to keep heroscape alive the project is doomed. Currently there are 706 active member on this fourm. Even if each one bought a master set worth (unlikely) it is far from a buisness model.

Clearly heroscape is a convient spin off.

The money is convicening the warhammer (and similar games) crowd that this is a better option than their current detailed maps. I'm surprised that most if not all of thier pictures feature heroscape figures, I would think figures from active games would help entice those folks.

I would highly recommend getting a Grid to Hex rule set for the various D&D verisons out there. Once in a while I run a D&D campaine on heroscape tiles, and this would be great for that.

If the project launches I would likly get in on a few of the expansions, but as it sits I have enought base tiles.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion