Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Which version of Raelin do you think is the best?
Raelin (ROTV) 50 84.75%
Raelin (SOTM) 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #9 -- Raelin (ROTV) Vs. Raelin (SOTM)

With her Spear of Gerda, Realin has been protecting all of Jandar's forces for a very long time. When she was called to defeat the Marro Hive, she grew offensive and increased the distance of her Aura. Do you think it was a good idea for her to do that? Which version of Raelin do you think is better?

This debate was submitted by Darkmage7a.

Compare the units by looking at thier:

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefullness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

Here's the hint for next week's debate: (Please guess.)

Spoiler Alert!

MegaSilver
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:34 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Unit Debate #9 -- Raelin (ROTV) Vs. Raelin (SOTM)

Well, apparently there is another person who asked this some time ago:

Here is the site: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=11182

MegaSilver
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:03 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

Old or new?
1. Statistically, both are exactly the same. However, there is a great difference in special powers. Both have a form of the Defense Aura, but the old Raelin's gave a bonus of two as opposed to the new's bonus of one. However, the new's range is increased. Two defense, though, is much greater than an increase of one defense.
2. In playability, each Raelin fits perfectly in the Master Set they were designed for. The old only needs to sit back and boost the soldiers fighting before her. The new requires more order markers to use her powers such as Whirlwind Attack. But this means that less order markers would go to the squads that are kept alive much better under the old's aura.
3. Overall, the old Raelin is more useful, due to the one more defense she grants. Spider_Poison places old Raelin at a A+ and new Raelin at a B.
4. Head-to-head, whoever got the first strike or had the high ground would have the best chance of beating the other, since they have identical stats.
6. Strategically, the old Raelin works best behind large amounts of squads and strong, ranged heroes like Kaemon Awa and Q9. The new Raelin seems to be designed for fighting along with a small group of heroes and/or squads that can spread out more. Hmm....
would
Spartacus 200/200
Crixus 090/290
Raelin SotM 120/410
x2 Capuans 140/550
work?

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:44 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

I think this is an easy choice.

Old Raelin.

1. Stats: Tie
Advantage: Old Raelin (She cost less)

2. Specials: I'll disregard flying here because they are the same. 2 defense id better than one in all cases, but is the whirlwind attack going to tip the scales? No, if you are attacking with your Cheerleaders you've lost.

Advantage: Raelin 1.0

3. Playability: They both are just supposed to sit there and use as few markers as possible, so their aura is really all that matters. Raelin 1.0 gives the better aura and is cheaper, so naturally she fits in armies better.

Advantage: Grandma Raelin

4. Overall Usefullness: Cheerleaders need good auras. Who had the better one again?

Advantage: Raelin (RotV)

5. Who Would Win Head-To-Head: This is silly, in an 80 point fight the SotM Raelin won't even be on the field. No contest.

Advantage: Raelin (Beetles Style)

6. Army Builds: 1... 2... 3... 4...

7. Best Strategic Use: Cheerleader

Advantage: Raelin (guess...)

Winner? Raelin, the Kyrie Warrior (Merciful)

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

It's clear and obvious which one is better. The ROTV is a boosted Raelin. It's more playable because the aura is larger and gives that magic 4 defense dice to many if not most squads. There is really no debate here.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM

goaliescaper is surprisingly tart

As evident in my vote I prefer the rise of the valkyrie raelin for a few reasons:

Lower cost

Stronger aura

Identical stats to many more expensive figures

Being helpful without a single OM

He shoots... and the airborne elite drop just in time to save the goal!
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Old Raelin

New Raelin is a more multi-purpose figure but the old Raelin is better for what the piece was origionally designed for. Plus, she is less expensive.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM

I am shocked by the extreme margin of votes. 20 to 4 so far!

I voted for the new version of Raelin, since I am mostly an offensive player. I rarely use either version (I know, strange to most players), but when I do, I'll usually go for the new Raelin. As most players will target her, I prefer to have the chance to attack all the enemies that may come to me, as IMO that most players will send squads (I would) to take care of her. The new Raelin could take better care of herself in this event than the old.

Of course she is meant to be a cheerleader, but I prefer versatility in battle, because after all the situation in battle will change often, and I want figures that can best take care of themselves.

MegaSilver
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM

The Wall Woo who?

I like the new raelin. You need less order markers to keep figures in range and she has at least a little fight in her.
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I am shocked by the extreme margin of votes. 20 to 4 so far!

Of course she is meant to be a cheerleader, but I prefer versatility in battle, because after all the situation in battle will change often, and I want figures that can best take care of themselves.

MegaSilver
I'm going to argue that the new Raelin is not more versatile. They have the same stats, so if Raelin is being attacked by anything they both are just as likely to take a fatal hit as the other. The Whirlwind attack should never come into play because Raelin should be surrounded your own figures, so a melee army should never get more than 1 figure to you anyway. If they are using range against Raelin you still won't be able to Whirlwind attack because the range will likely be spread a bit, or it is just to far away to move towards.

I play offensively quite a bit, but I still bring along Raelin (1.0) in many armies. Never once have I felt that drafting her has hindered my ability to move forwards and attack. (Barring melee armies where she shouldn't be drafted anyway.)

The thing about playing either Raelin is that you need an army that can afford to move her, or can sit next to her all game. The former is very rare if not non-existent, and the latter is ranged armies (quite common).

If you are playing a KoW army and expect to move Raelin (either one) up with them every turn, you are slowing an already slow progression of units that desperately need every chance to move closer to their enemy.

The main problem I see with Raelin (new) is that she doesn't bond with anyone. I know this would make her a very broken unit, but if she did bond I think the newer Raelin would have a slightly better chance. Even if they bonded, you still wouldn't want them tied up by other figures. 3 defense is good for a cheerleader, but not for an attack hero (especially when that attack is 3 dice). (I think this is Alistair's one flaw, but thats a new topic.)

All in a good debate.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Though I do not really use either one often I would have to say old Raelin is better. If new raelin was closer in cost, maybe 90-100 points then I might go that way. As it is she costs too much for a cheerleader.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

1. Stats/Special Powers
Raelin RotV has the better aura in that it provides an extra die. However, I'm an attack sort of player, so I like the extra spaces Raelin SotM gives. Plus, with Whirlwind Assault, she can fight on her own.

Edge: Raelin SotM

2. Playability
With 2/3 the price tag and a stronger aura, Raelin RotV fits into more armies more easily.

Edge: Raelin RotV

3. Overall Usefullness
Raelin RotV is a better defender and cheerleader, but SotM is more versatile.

Edge: Tie

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head
Neither has powers that affect a 1-on-1 fight and they have the same stats.

Edge: Tie

5. Army Builds
Raelin RotV: Anything that can squeeze 80 points.
Raelin SotM:
120 Raelin SotM
180 Taelord
200 Omnicrons x2

6. Best Strategic Use
Both are best used defensively. Raelin RotV does that better, but SotM can clear herself of squads if need be (not her best use, though).

Winner: Raelin RotV

But I voted for SotM. I'm not a fan of old Raelin, and I like attacking better than defending. So SotM is more fun to play (with and against) for me, as well as being better balanced.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units