Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old May 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Heat of Battle event

Figured a new thread would be in order for this event, as one thread for everything was getting rather cluttered. I would like to know the rules for this event. I've been playing with some various rules for no starting zones and wanted to present a few questions and possible advice if these havn't been addressed.

For who places first. I would assume that it is based off of a D20 rule. I would recomend that whoever wins can pick who goes first, rather than just going first. In some situations it is better to be 2nd than first.

The big thing is restrictions on where you can place. just not placing on glyphs isn't restrictive enough. I found that the best rules are 1. a squad must be placed adjacent to another squad member from that card (not in the case of multipule commons though). 2. No figure may be placed directly adjacent to an enemy figure (keeping in mind adjacency rules, so you could possiblyplace in a hex at a lower or higher elevation, or under a ledge). Without these rules, especially the squads starting together one, I've found that common squads in general, and gladiatrons/blastrons in particular, are much too over powered. Even if they can't be changed now I'd just like to know what the exact rules will be so I can adjust accordingly. I don't have any gladiatrons
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart
Re: The Heat of Battle event

The rules are already set and they're not goin to change them.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The point here is to clarify the rules. I've just presented a few questions that may or may not of already been brought up. Also just a thread to talk about this one event. I didn't mean for it to be for changing those two rules. If they are already set then of course that is the way we would play. I just want to know for sure
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The rules are

d20 roll - high goes first.
Take turns placing one army car worth of units anywhere on the board.
There are NO stipulations preventing or forcing adjacency to other units.

You will almost always begin play with your units adjacent to your opponents if not at least in striking distance. The idea is to start the game in the mist of an ongoing battle between your forces.

Tip - If you want to be the last person to place units on the board in an attempt to have board control before the game begins, play more army cards than they are. When they run our of cards you continue placing all your remaining pieces.

Roll again for initiative. Just because you placed cards first does not mean you play first.
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I think you need to clarify what you are trying to clarify.

When it comes to Heat of Battle at GenCon you can place your units wherever you want as long as they are not on a glyph. Units do not need to be placed adjacent to each other.

Another HeatOf Battle tourney you play in may require such a placement if the TD determines that that is how they want to do it.
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I think you need to clarify what you are trying to clarify.

When it comes to Heat of Battle at GenCon you can place your units wherever you want as long as they are not on a glyph. Units do not need to be placed adjacent to each other.

Another HeatOf Battle tourney you play in may require such a placement if the TD determines that that is how they want to do it.
Thanks Onacara, I think that's what I wanted to say.
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Darkmage answered the question I had, thanks. It will determine what kind of army I play. I've got a few ideas of what stratagy I will want to use now.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!

Is anyone else thinking that Tul-Bak-Ra backed up by Squads of Marros would be an excellent HOB army?

With his teleport he can get out of trouble, get to a key figure, and bring in more damage as he is weakened.

Just thinkin'.

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:33 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
The rules are
d20 roll - high goes first.
High roll chooses who goes first.

Quote:
Tip - If you want to be the last person to place units on the board in an attempt to have board control before the game begins, play more army cards than they are. When they run our of cards you continue placing all your remaining pieces.
Depending on the map and the location and amount of high ground, I might choose to place my pieces first in order to secure a key location instead of worrying about who places last. It really depends a lot on what my opponent is bringing to the table as well. If my opponent has all Marro Drones then I really need to focus on high ground and not placing last unless I have some key ranged units that I don't want engaged at the start.

FYI:
Another ruling on this event from two years ago was that if you have Nakita Agents and your opponent places a unit next to them during the 'placement' stage, you do get to take the engagement strike roll.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Is The Skullmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post

FYI:
Another ruling on this event from two years ago was that if you have Nakita Agents and your opponent places a unit next to them during the 'placement' stage, you do get to take the engagement strike roll.
Thanks that's actually really useful to know.

Are they going to use that ruling at gencon?
Does it only apply if you placed nakitas first?
Do you roll engagement before placing the next card or at the start of the game?
Does this also apply to Arkmer?
Where was this ruling originally used?
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post

FYI:
Thanks that's actually really useful to know.

Are they going to use that ruling at gencon?
Does it only apply if you placed nakitas first?
Do you roll engagement before placing the next card or at the start of the game?
Does this also apply to Arkmer?
Where was this ruling originally used?
I am sure that this ruling is still in effect. It does apply to Arkmer also. It only applies after you place the Nakitas, so placing your Nakitas next to someone does not qualify for an engagement strike. Not sure on the timing, but I think the roll would take place immediately upon placing a unit next to a Nakita agent.

GB and I discussed it in this thread HERE

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con