Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Re: Gladiators?

I see your point; but its like saying we don't need the AE because the 4th are similar. They're from the same age (gunpowder), same nation, same type of personality, etc.

But really, no.

Spartans were heavy-ass hoplites (not the nancy boys in the movie and GN 300) and whilst Alexanders infantry were essentially hoplites, they were lighter and used varying tactics. The Alexandrian greeks were more cavalry-aware (horses are how the Alexandria's were founded). The Spartans we'd want should really be able to eat any other human infantry for breakfast toe-to-toe. (Im not exaggerating - they could probably withstand most armies up to the age of gunpowder excluding the golden horde, who we also need to see)

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:36 AM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majai of Dreams View Post
I always viewed the Sacred Band as the Spartan equivalents... Sure Parmenio is not exactly King Leonidis, but the Sacred Band is a similar concept. Their defy death ability is somewhat like the Spartan's skill that keeps them alive.
The Sacred Band--from Thebes--were also paired off couples. While not exactly the way Spartans formed, the bond of love did help the zeal of the crazy Spartan folk (who were so not into democracy... oops) and those Thebians alike. Of course, the Sacred Band also defeated a MUCH larger Spartan force one time during the (eventually successful) rebellion Thebes staged... the Sacred Band never lost until Philip II and those crazy Macedonians came marching along, and refused to surrender after the army of Thebes was routed... so, in case you're wondering? The Sacred Band is way better than the Spartans, no matter what Frank Miller says.

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:23 AM

tchop is surprisingly tart

They totally need to make a unique gladiator squad. That would keep spartacus's ability in check and still satisfy everyone.

Better yet, use the thousands of gladiator packs they still probably have in some warehouse, repaint them and use them as a unique gladiator squad exclusive gencon giveaway. Then rocket all the extra nakitas into the sun or send them to the bottom of the ocean. I don't see how everyone doesn't win in that situation.

Better even yet, remelt all the nakitas into plastic chairs to use at gencon for the expanded customer base of heroscape due to the coolness of a unique gladiator squad. Take a breath. Yeah....
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:55 AM

Hal0fan117 is surprisingly tart

Despite being an avid halo player, I'm not going to reference any "Spartans" from Halo throughout the rest of my post.

I happen to be half Greek, so I'm a little biased (I'm 1/4 Athenian and 1/4 Spartan, which is soooo cool!) But I'm with the group that thinks Spartans would kick the snot out of the sacred band any day. They weren't invincible by any mean, but they weren't a bunch of cowards either. Any disfigured, misshapen, or "lacking" Spartan child was killed. No remorse. That's hard core, killing babies without feeling anything. That or heartless, or a mix of both. It was all to make Sparta the strongest of the Greek nations. Endless training, non-stop tactical lessons, everything to make Sparta the best of the best. They were a bit hairier than in the movie (lol) and waaay stronger.

Only problem I can see is that they only used spears and swords. Bows were considered too feminine for a man to use in combat. They destroyed the Peloponnese. They destroyed a ton of Athenians in their never ending thirst for power. Only reason they ever fell was because everybody ganged up on em. If they had won a few battles, or if the wars were spaced out a little wider, maybe we would be ruled over by Spartans now. They would have taken down the Romans for sure.

Later, they did adapt to the bow, but it was short lived. They soon fell.

Golden Horde I see as on par with (maybe a little below) the Spartans. If I had to make up some stats for em right now, I would say...

Spartans
Common squad
Relentless
120 points

6 move
1 range
6 attack
4 defense

Some form of bonding.

I would also throw in some sort of warlord Spartan

Xerxes
Unique hero
Disciplined
140 points

5 life
6 move
1 range
7 attack
4 defense

Spartan Leadership
If all order markers are on spartans, increase the move of all spartans by 2

Intimidate
All opposing figures lose 2 range when targeting a spartan (min. of 1)

Or something like that. The hero would be the on ly one with the red broom thing on his head.

2013, Still alive.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:40 AM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

Cool special abilities. I like abilities that use the non-numerical stats well.
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Supa is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

The only issue I have is that Xerxes was the king of the Persian empire. A little inaccurate to have him leading and inspiring Spartans.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

Oh crud... It's a THRAEX helmet... My bad... Only took a good look at the picture just now... But Spartans WOULD be cool...
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euryon View Post
Spartans were heavy-ass hoplites
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:32 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euryon View Post
Spartans were heavy-ass hoplites
+rep for timely xkcd reference.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal0fan117 View Post

I happen to be half Greek, so I'm a little biased (I'm 1/4 Athenian and 1/4 Spartan, which is soooo cool!) But I'm with the group that thinks Spartans would kick the snot out of the sacred band any day. They weren't invincible by any mean, but they weren't a bunch of cowards either. Any disfigured, misshapen, or "lacking" Spartan child was killed. No remorse. That's hard core, killing babies without feeling anything. That or heartless, or a mix of both. It was all to make Sparta the strongest of the Greek nations. Endless training, non-stop tactical lessons, everything to make Sparta the best of the best. They were a bit hairier than in the movie (lol) and waaay stronger.

Only problem I can see is that they only used spears and swords. Bows were considered too feminine for a man to use in combat. They destroyed the Peloponnese. They destroyed a ton of Athenians in their never ending thirst for power. Only reason they ever fell was because everybody ganged up on em. If they had won a few battles, or if the wars were spaced out a little wider, maybe we would be ruled over by Spartans now. They would have taken down the Romans for sure.
Sparta did at one time rule Greece, but -- because of her preoccupation with physical training, militarism, communism, and the repression of all artistic expression -- she really didn't have a civilization of her own... which, even with her military might, led to the failure to produce able leaders to keep the peace. Even if they weren't ganged up on they would have failed to suppress the free(er) spirits of the rest of the world, and eventually would have crumbled as revolutionaries would arise.
The nations (ruled by Xerxes) that ganged up on Sparta actually did her a favor by making her go out with honor, rather than the having government crumble from the inside.

On the subject of Gladiators, a pack with beast bonding would be awesome.
I came up with this a while back and, although its not very realistic, I thought it was cool.

A Gladiator riding some sort of beast with a flail of some sort (looks almost like a grok rider).

Stats
Life 4
Move 8
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 3

Passing Swipe
Special Attack: Attack 3, Range 1
Before moving, declare that you will be using the special attack. No disengagement attacks may be rolled against this figure while the Special is active. Every figure that you engage during your movement is affected by Passing Swipe. Roll dice seperately for each figure affected. When attacking a small or large figure roll one less attack dice. Medium figures roll one less defense dice against Passing Swipe. Huge figures are not affected by Passing Swipe. Movement may be inspired by Spartacus' Gladiator Inspiration, and attack may not.

Edit: Just realized that this is the section for "Official Units," I apoligize.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Old June 10th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

Spartans in Einar, quite obviously...
And then persians in... Utgar?... I'm fine with that, as long as persian people don't get mad at us...
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar Gen. View Post
Spartans in Einar, quite obviously...
And then persians in... Utgar?... I'm fine with that, as long as persian people don't get mad at us...
They already are...Ancient Persia = Iran

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units