Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old September 25th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: SOV/C3V Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
An offer from the Heroscape Codex:

If anyone from the SoV or C3V would like to discuss how the behind the scenes stuff operates, I'm open to any articles or interviews.
I'd be happy to, Q. I promise to keep my language clean.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:07 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamyon View Post
To everyone's defense, I think in 2019 forums are just old fashioned and most people would rather provide feedback on social media or a discord channel. Also, our forum has many different sections and sub sections which separates us even more (a whole other topic for discussion) so it's very easy to get lost or miss important threads.

Thankfully, we have a Facebook group for Heroscapers that has actually been picking up lately. People sometimes share their personal work as well and others offer feedback. To me, it is more conducent for discussion especially since sometimes I feel bad providing feedback in custom threads when it's not asked. At least on Facebook and discord when you post you are clearly asking for feedback.

Our Discord channel has also seen a lot of action with people providing feedback... Many of which comes from the C3V community.
I cannot express how strongly I disagree with you on this. Facebook and discord are both *terrible* for asynchronous communication over a long period of time. On facebook I have difficulty finding where conversations were taking place or being certain that I've seen all the content. On discord it is really easy to fall behind and discord does very little to help you catch up over time.

On Heroscapers everything is neatly categorized and I can check in on just a few threads without affecting the "read/unread" status of the threads I don't have time for. Then when I do have time I can go back and hit those threads. If there are multiple pages of discussion, only the pages that I read get marked. Facebook and discord have nothing even close to that level of compartmentalization. I'm in the facebook group and the discord group; in the former everything feels disconnected and I'm never sure what's going on; in the latter I'm always way behind on any discussion because I don't have time to check the discord daily and the pace of conversation just moves too fast.

I actually wish more online communities were organized like "old fashioned" discussion boards (of which Heroscapers is one). On top of my comments regarding facebook and discord, I find reddit, for instance, to be similarly terrible for organized discussion of things.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I actually wish more online communities were organized like "old fashioned" discussion boards (of which Heroscapers is one). On top of my comments regarding facebook and discord, I find reddit, for instance, to be similarly terrible for organized discussion of things.
Agreed. Maybe we're just old.
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:13 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
I hear this and agree that there are some figures announced to be used from years ago that are still in the process. Any thoughts on how to fix these issues?
I was surprised when I first entered the Inner Sanctum and saw how it was built. The process is designer-focused, not output-focused. The whole concept is for people to find miniatures, come up with a design, and rework that design as they move it through the process. One side effect of that is that if a designer loses interest in a design, or leaves the project, that design will stall. That can and has happened to figures that were announced. When a design starts the process, there is no plan for when it will be released or what other units it will be "packaged" with. We build Waves once enough stuff has gotten far enough through the process and package together what we have. There are no deadlines or any checks and balances to ensure that units keep moving along once announced.
This right here may be what needs to be addressed. It sounds like we need a project manager.
For not knowing much about how our projects work, you have a lot to say about how they *should* work. We have at least one person filling this role already.

--
--
--

--
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
To everyone's defense, I think in 2019 forums are just old fashioned and most people would rather provide feedback on social media or a discord channel. Also, our forum has many different sections and sub sections which separates us even more (a whole other topic for discussion) so it's very easy to get lost or miss important threads.

Thankfully, we have a Facebook group for Heroscapers that has actually been picking up lately. People sometimes share their personal work as well and others offer feedback. To me, it is more conducent for discussion especially since sometimes I feel bad providing feedback in custom threads when it's not asked. At least on Facebook and discord when you post you are clearly asking for feedback.

Our Discord channel has also seen a lot of action with people providing feedback... Many of which comes from the C3V community.
I cannot express how strongly I disagree with you on this. Facebook and discord are both *terrible* for asynchronous communication over a long period of time. On facebook I have difficulty finding where conversations were taking place or being certain that I've seen all the content. On discord it is really easy to fall behind and discord does very little to help you catch up over time.

On Heroscapers everything is neatly categorized and I can check in on just a few threads without affecting the "read/unread" status of the threads I don't have time for. Then when I do have time I can go back and hit those threads. If there are multiple pages of discussion, only the pages that I read get marked. Facebook and discord have nothing even close to that level of compartmentalization. I'm in the facebook group and the discord group; in the former everything feels disconnected and I'm never sure what's going on; in the latter I'm always way behind on any discussion because I don't have time to check the discord daily and the pace of conversation just moves too fast.

This is one thing I actually agree on. Discord is fun, but terrible for actual organisation. Facebook... that I have zero experience with.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:16 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

The ERB literally is responsible for project management.

Trust me, I do a lot of it, as do the other ERBers.
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
An offer from the Heroscape Codex:

If anyone from the SoV or C3V would like to discuss how the behind the scenes stuff operates, I'm open to any articles or interviews.
I'd be happy to, Q. I promise to keep my language clean.
Thank you!

For anyone who wants to make sure I ask the questions they'd like to see answers to, I created a thread where you can post those questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

In my experience (which is not insignificant) synchronous chat is great for brainstorming and asynchronous posting is best for workshopping. As in Skype and Discord are great places for getting your thoughts in order and banging out a solid, initial version of a design. But the fine tuning and tracking and working through the process works much better on a forum like this.

Not sure Facebook is great for anything besides posting memes and baby pictures and getting angry about other people's political views. I guess they're pretty good at organizing events.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 25th, 2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I get that sentiment, but that sentiment is pretty old and comes from a pretty "official" place in terms of the designers of the game themselves saying that Marvel and Valhalla stuff wasn't designed to be played together. If you aren't even meant to play all the official product together, seems as if the "Battle of All Time" is marketing more than mantra.
But then, I'd argue that the fact that the official game doesn't exist anymore should be used as an advantage. We now have a game, marketed as the Battle of All Time, that already has units from wildly different settings duking it out, and no top-down marketing or company based restrictions on what you can do with it... but a lot of people still choose to be beholden to just create 'what they imagine the official designers might have done'. To me, that screams of a wasted opportunity.
And yet, VC has created a new planet, introduced themes that were never in the original game, and killed a small number of other sacred cows. You were complaining about VC being opposed to 3 range, but we've actually released a range 3 figure *and even a range 2 figure*. I think VC is treading a very nice line of breaking new ground and honoring what came before. The distinction is that we don't break boundaries for the sake of breaking boundaries. We gave The Varja* range 3 because we felt that a living lightning storm was one of the rare cases where range 3 made thematic sense in the broader context of what range values represent in the game. We gave Boreos range 2 because it made sense as a way to represent Reach on a character that can move arbitrarily high. We would not give range 2 or range 3 to someone holding a really long spear because it would make no sense. There is no spear that is so long it can attack someone 100 hexes higher--not without being so unwieldy as to be useless.

C3V even changed their release model from 1-2 waves a year (in keeping with the tradition set by Hasbro) to 1 booster every couple of months.

*speaking of boundaries, I don't think there was a unique hero in the game before The Varja that had a titular "The" in its name

--
--
--

--
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I get that sentiment, but that sentiment is pretty old and comes from a pretty "official" place in terms of the designers of the game themselves saying that Marvel and Valhalla stuff wasn't designed to be played together. If you aren't even meant to play all the official product together, seems as if the "Battle of All Time" is marketing more than mantra.
But then, I'd argue that the fact that the official game doesn't exist anymore should be used as an advantage. We now have a game, marketed as the Battle of All Time, that already has units from wildly different settings duking it out, and no top-down marketing or company based restrictions on what you can do with it... but a lot of people still choose to be beholden to just create 'what they imagine the official designers might have done'. To me, that screams of a wasted opportunity.
And yet, VC has created a new planet, introduced themes that were never in the original game, and killed a small number of other sacred cows. You were complaining about VC being opposed to 3 range, but we've actually released a range 3 figure *and even a range 2 figure*. I think VC is treading a very nice line of breaking new ground and honoring what came before. The distinction is that we don't break boundaries for the sake of breaking boundaries. We gave The Varja* range 3 because we felt that a living lightning storm was one of the rare cases where range 3 made thematic sense in the broader context of what range values represent in the game. We gave Boreos range 2 because it made sense as a way to represent Reach on a character that can move arbitrarily high. We would not give range 2 or range 3 to someone holding a really long spear because it would make no sense. There is no spear that is so long it can attack someone 100 hexes higher--not without being so unwieldy as to be useless.
And yet a SoV nominee was shot down for 3 Range 'not being official' - and that's just one of the times you feel fundamentally rigid.
Again, though, even after you set up a Feedback thread, it feels as though it's just more of the head tapping 'don't worry, it's all under control' I was talking about earlier. No criticisms are even being entertained - it's just 'if you only understood went on behind the scenes, you'd understand we're right and you're wrong'. It feels like another smokescreen.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old September 25th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I think it's worth putting the finished books out in the public. C3G does this and it gives everyone a chance to see how units were developed and what debates were had. That would help with some of these transparency issues that VC has. It would also give credit to the contributors - who did the art, who did the playtesting, who did the editing, etc.
Old September 25th, 2019, 03:14 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Agreed. Maybe we're just old.
With the disclaimer that I, too, am old, I also agree. I am theoretically on the discord but it's just too disorganized for me to contribute. The Facebook group is nice for putting out announcements and sharing things, but terrible for sustained workshopping/planning/design.

I am part of the Ashes community, and it's an unending source of frustration to me that our strategy discussions and custom development is done through a Facebook group and a slack channel. It's just worlds less effective. Everything goes down the memory hole.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs