Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 7th, 2020, 05:47 PM

scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby!
3D Printing: Resin vs PLA comparison

I realize I'm probably one of the few people on here who has both a resin and a PLA 3D printer, so I figured I'd write a comparison for anyone looking to get into 3D printing.

My Resin printer is a ANYCUBIC Photon S and my PLA printer is an Ender 3. Both bought on amazon.

Machine Cost
Machine wise, the Photon S cost $450 and the Ender 3 Cost $230, your prices may vary, especially in these times. Worth noting that the Photon S is a prebuilt and the Ender 3 requires total assembly. Either way, Winner Ender 3

Build Material Cost
Resin is typically more expensive than PLA, prices very a lot as there are many different kinds, the kinds that I buy are the following:
Resin: $32.99 per 1kg
PLA: $23.99 per 1kg
Again, PLA is cheaper. Winner: Ender 3

Cleaning Material
I don't have a cost break down for this, but it's also worth noting that printing with resin is much messier and toxic; proper safety equipment and cleaning materials is a requirement.
Required are paper towels, isopropyl alcohol, disposable gloves, and I would recommend safety glasses.
None of these are needed for PLA.
Winner: Ender 3

Print Time
This is where the types of prints that you will be doing really determines the best outcome. I'll be using a Kelda the Kyre Warrior model for demonstration purposes.

1 Kelda requires 5 hrs 30 mins for the Photon S at 0.05 mm layer height and 2 Hrs and 30 Mins for the Ender 3 at 0.12 mm layer height. However, this result is for printing a small and tall figure, things change as you go wider and print more.
if you want to mass produce figures and print 9 Kelda at a time, it requires 5 hrs and 30 mins for the Photon S and 21 Hrs and 30 Mins for the Ender 3.

This is due to the way each printing method works. PLA printers like the Ender 3 essentially draw using plastic; so there is only one point being made at a time. Resin printers like the Photon S work by curing a whole layer at a time using UV light; essentially you are printing the whole layer at once, so you can print 1 to as many figures as you can fit on the bed in the same amount of time. Winner: Photon S

Detail
It's pretty simple, the Photon S has a lot better detail as it can get as small as 0.02 mm layer height while the Ender 3 can only reach a minimum layer height of 0.12mm. the Photon S can literally get 6 times the detail of the Ender 3 at it's smallest.
This being said, I don't even print at 0.02 mm for my photon S, I typically do 0.05 mm, as it's less than half the time and it's small enough to where you can't visibly tell a difference.
Here is a comparison of the two Kelda; PLA on the left, Resin on the right.

Note, there was some stringing that happened on the PLA one, so the fuzzies on that one could be fixed. I sprayed them both with developer chalk, so you can see some of that on both.
One big thing you can see on the PLA one is on the finest detail setting of 0.12mm, you can still see some layer lines.

Winner: Photon S

Hassle
The price difference isn't that much, and the Photon S gets better print quality and a fraction of the time. So if you don't mind spending the money, why go PLA? Well, hassle. Resin printing takes alot more manual labor.

The process of printing in PLA is as simple as print, break off supports, clean any stuck on support connections, done. No clean up past throwing away the supports.

Resin printing requires you to do the same thing, but after you finish printing, you need to dip the figure in isopropyl alcohol to clean off excess resin and then a water dip, then you must delicately remove the supports using clippers and I recommend an exactoknife, this is because the material is very brittle after it's been printed. Then after, you must finish curing the resin using either a UV light or leaving it out in the sun on a clear day.

Also, there is the issue of both smell and ventilation. While resin is more of a danger to touch than it is to breathe, It's still not good to use in a small enclosed place, largely due to the bad smells. As a trade off, my PLA printer is much louder, so there are cons to both. I don't recommend printing with either in the same room as you spend most of your time.

Finally, when you are done with a PLA printer, you can just leave it as is; you can't do that with resin. if you are going to leave resin, you need to clean it out of the printer by pouring it back into the bottle using a funnel and a paint filter(to keep solid pieces out) and wipe down the printer using isopropyl alcohol and paper towels.
Winner: Ender 3

Overall, there is a lot more cost and hassle to print with resin, but as a result, you get higher detail and much quicker output. I haven't looked into the electric costs of either, but I imagine the material cost will outweigh the electric costs regardless.

Like I said earlier, I'll be uploading the pictures tonight, you can judge for yourself if the detail and efficiency is worth the extra cost and hassle.

Last edited by superfrog; May 12th, 2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added image
Old May 7th, 2020, 07:27 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: 3D Printing: Resin vs PLA comparison

I also have both types of machines. Miniatures and small details I dont bother printing on my fdm printer. I use the fdm to print large things and terrain. The resin is hands down better quality for the time and price for miniatures/ miniature quality. Not to mention easier to paint.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 7th, 2020, 07:38 PM

scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I also have both types of machines. Miniatures and small details I dont bother printing on my fdm printer. I use the fdm to print large things and terrain. The resin is hands down better quality for the time and price for miniatures/ miniature quality. Not to mention easier to paint.
That's a good point, I realized I didn't cover bed size and durability.

PLA printers typically have a larger bed size at similar cost ranges of resin printers. Also, Resin is very delicate and not recommended for terrain.

Index of 3D Scans of Figures

There are a lot of figures I don't have access to(Listed in the index), if you wish to assist the project, feel free to PM me.
Old May 8th, 2020, 12:20 AM

Added photo

There are a lot of figures I don't have access to(Listed in the index), if you wish to assist the project, feel free to PM me.
Old May 8th, 2020, 09:07 AM

Doop knows what's in an order marker Doop knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapedood View Post
Added photo

Looks like the image link broke, looking forward to seeing it as this write up has been a great comparison.
Old May 8th, 2020, 10:23 AM

Ugh, what does it take to get privileges to upload to the gallery? Would be much easier than trying to go through a third party website.

Old May 8th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Become a Site-Supporter.
Old May 8th, 2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Become a Site-Supporter.
Ah, Got it.

Well, I just used imgur, lets see if that worked.

Old May 8th, 2020, 01:00 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Also you could start writing articles for the Codex.
Old May 8th, 2020, 01:12 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Pictures are working now. Looks great.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 12th, 2020, 06:14 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for this little comparison! It is very helpful for someone like me who is strongly considering buying a 3d printer, but still deciding on what kind.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old May 13th, 2020, 12:37 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Can one of you speak on the strength/durability of the FDM prints versus the resin prints?

I can usually drop an FDM figure printed with PLA+ filament off a table onto a tile floor without it breaking. And they hold up well to normal use in a game.

How do the resin prints compare?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards