Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

View Poll Results: Do you think seperate trade threads should be allowed?
All Trade posts need to go in the trade thread regardless 45 67.16%
Site Supporters should be able to make their own trade threads 7 10.45%
Everybody should be allowed to make their own trade threads 15 22.39%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Self Entitled Sales Threads And Neg Rep

Alright, I have not started a thread over here in a very long time... honestly I believe that 3/4 of the threads started here are either goofy or have already been talked about, so I try not to add to the mess. But this brings us to my question.

The only thing I consistently neg rep for on this site is for folks who come on here to peddle their wares at high prices, have just a few posts, and are not site suporters...that is instant neg rep. But to be honest even some of the longer time members decide that when they are going to sell something or pimp their auction that the trade thread is not good enough so they need their own special thread. This frustrates me to no end...I don't neccessarily neg rep older members since they give to this community as well but am I overreacting to this or does this bother others as well?

Does this bother anyone else that people who want to sell their stuff usually for a very nice profit cannot use the trade thread but instead have to clutter the boards with their own "Hey Look at My Stuff Thread"? Perhaps it is just me, but I think the purpose of the trade thread is to sell and trade goods. If this was my site I would hunt out these posts and delete every one of them....they really do not serve the community in the least bit but only the individual.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Self Entitled Sales Threads And Neg Rep

I never really buy, sell, or trade stuff around here. I voted to put it all in the Trade Thread, but that thing is getting pretty bloated. Many people have sigs or blogs that they use to keep people aware of what they have and are looking for.

So I usually see sales threads like any other thread which I'm not that interested- I just slide on to a different thread. It doesn't really get me upset or anything, but I probably would if threads like that became really common.

The guy today selling his Tundras probably isn't making that much money off of it. Shipping to US is expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM

gelcom5 Woo who?

I completly agree. I understand if you have it just as a signature, though. But if you want to go shopping, go to the trades. Otherwise, pay attention to the correct placement.

It's not that the glass is half empty or half full... It's just the wrong drink.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The great thing about Neg-Rep is that it's yours to dispense as you see fit. If something bothers you enough, then you should neg-rep for it, I guess.

While I agree that it's a useful resource, it's often difficult to find what you're looking for in the trade thread. I've had some luck there myself, but I don't think it's the best way to get a trade or sale unless you're checking it every day and keeping up diligently. I think linking to a blog post, or keeping it in your signature is the cleanest way to handle it. That way, you're only putting up advertisements in "your own" space on HS.

I don't think I've ever seen an Admin move an individual's sales post to another thread. As such, I don't think there's really a precedent to say it's disruptive, or contrary to any policy laid out so far.

To be honest, I think an open market is healthy. If someone has fifty bucks, and they want Tundra, and someone else has Tundra and they want fifty bucks, who am I to say it's overpriced? If both parties agree, I want to stay out of the way. I've overpaid for things I was passionate about in the past, and I wouldn't want someone third party making a big deal about it when it doesn't really affect them.

Last edited by CheddarLimbo; May 23rd, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: I voted #3
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

Now linking in your sig is different all together, that does not require a Hey look at me thread...

And Cheddar... I have seen a few threads moved and I also agree that if someone wants to pay let them pay. That is not the point....the point is that I check new threads about twice a day....each time I check I go over my max 100 threads and have no idea what I missed. The reason for this is that there are tons of members who think that if they are not proliferate in their thread making then they will be ignored. Quite untrue...the other half of the threads comes from 15 post new folks who are either to lazy to search or think that they are above posing in a pre-made thread.

Either way it has quelled my interset in posting on this forum quite a bit. I still post once or twice every couple of days but for the most part this is no longer my main site. What is my main site is not important, but needless to say all of the folk who made this site great have not fallen off of the edge of the world and we do keep in touch. What you don't see are those folks on here as much because of all of the white noise. These every day trade threads are part of that noise.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I have to say that some folks may do it so they do not need to keep bumping the trade thread every day which seems to happen alot.

Perhaps the trade thread should be locked and a new one opened where everyone gets one post they can keep updating with thre current wants/haves.

I was thinkng of starting one like that for people looking for help with any other projects they were working on. That idea came up during the discussion of truth's new game that is coming out. It would be a place where people could solicit artists,programmers,playtesters etc...and where those folks with those skills could post their availability to help.

Just a thought.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I have to say that some folks may do it so they do not need to keep bumping the trade thread every day which seems to happen alot.

Perhaps the trade thread should be locked and a new one opened where everyone gets one post they can keep updating with thre current wants/haves.

I was thinkng of starting one like that for people looking for help with any other projects they were working on. That idea came up during the discussion of truth's new game that is coming out. It would be a place where people could solicit artists,programmers,playtesters etc...and where those folks with those skills could post their availability to help.

Just a thought.
That has to be the best idea I have heard in a long time. It is VERY easy to go unnoticed on the trade thread, because there are so many posts. I have never gotten a trade done there, even after having posted on the thread 10 times in the last year.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Is there a way to make a separate section of the forum for trade threads that you have to subscribe to, or opt in, to get it to show up on your new posts page? That might be the ultimate solution, if it's possible and not unduly time or energy consuming for the admins (meaning they don't mind doing it, )

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That function already exists. You can choose to subscribe to any thread you like. Just scroll down to the bottom of a thread to the section marked Thread Tools and you'll see it. You automatically subscribe to any thread you post in, too.

When you log in, go to your CP (control panel) and you'll see a list of all the subscribed threads that have recent changes.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
assistant leader

But what he is talking about is a forum to where if we don't want to see these threads we don't have too...much like the Congs thread is now.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

I never really looked at or used the trade thread until last week. I would agree it is very hard to sort through to figure out what is current and what people have or are looking for. I decided to add one line to my signiture to "advertise" the trade I was interrested in.

I am not sure if it was the post to the trade thread or the sig line but it was very effective.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
But what he is talking about is a forum to where if we don't want to see these threads we don't have too...much like the Congs thread is now.
Exactly.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General