Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 18th, 2011, 03:38 AM

Mnygaard is surprisingly tart
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Just wanted to let everybody know that Days of Wonder has released an open Beta version of Memoire '44 online.
Now I can play my favorite boardgame against the whole world!

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/

Garden of Athena book 1: Dogs of Hades out now!
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:01 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have played several games of Forbidden Island in the last few days. Lots of fun trying to finagle the odds. OK with two, best with three. DO NOT try to play with more than 4 players - it is a guaranteed losing game.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:15 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

As I've mentioned on its own thread, I just went back to Battle Lore after two years playing the other Borg games. I've been picking up all the expansions from both Days of Wonder and Fantasy Flight, its new home. I got Taeblewalker into it, and we tried Goblins vs Dwarves using all of the possible units and weapons for them right up to the newest expansion Bearded Brave. With Code of Chivalry coming next, reports of its demise have clearly been 'greatly exagerated!'
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
Also I only have CR and Heroscape, so I don't worry about me already having something.
What's CR? How many people do you want to play with? How long do you want your games to play?

I own about 600 games so I'm sure I could recommend you something.
CR is Castle Ravenloft. We usually play with 2-3 players. Usually it only takes about an hour, but we're very familiar with the game, so that makes a difference. I think I'm going to go with Ticket to Ride, but thanks for your help.

I love trains.
Ticket To Ride is great with 3 but not so much with just 2.

Here's a short list of games that I like with 2 and 3:

San Juan
Ingenious
Carcassonne
Through The Desert

And with $50, you should be able to get at least 2 of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played some Pillars of the Earth last night.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
Played some Pillars of the Earth last night.
I really enjoy that game. (I'll admit that it's usually one my wife picks, but when she does, I'm pretty happy.)

@quozl, that is a great list. (I haven't played Through the Desert, but the others are solid and generally pretty quick playing, fun games.)

Dominion and Forbidden Island are two others that I'd add that have a similar feel and should work for non-gamer types--both ones my mom and dad, wife and kids, etc. like. That's hard to find.
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, I really like Pillars, it was one of the first worker placement games and it still really stands up to the new ones I think.
Old January 18th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

For me, it's got just enough going on, just enough theme, just enough ways to win (esp. with the expansion, even w/o the added board) that it really works. A solid, smart game that doesn't tend to moments of total paralysis like some do and that I almost always enjoy playing--and almost always feel like it really is "play." I think it's underappreciated, but, hey, maybe it just works really well with our group of players...
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
For me, it's got just enough going on, just enough theme, just enough ways to win (esp. with the expansion, even w/o the added board) that it really works. A solid, smart game that doesn't tend to moments of total paralysis like some do and that I almost always enjoy playing--and almost always feel like it really is "play." I think it's underappreciated, but, hey, maybe it just works really well with our group of players...
I definitely agree on it being under appreciated.
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:25 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Last Night on Earth
Dominion
Claustrophobia
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
We have the expansion. It's really nice, but until you're running 5 epidemics regularly don't worry about it. The only thing we really use out of it are the new roles (which are neat, but not necessary) and the petri dishes which I really like because it stops the diseases from feeling like wooden cubes. The new pawns are a lot more reasonably sized, but again, hardly necessary.

The bulk of the expansion though, is simply making it harder. There's special epidemic cards that make one virus particularly hard to deal with and the mutating purple virus that can fully expand very quickly. There's also the bio-terrorist, which is a neat idea but seems better suited to a more dedicated game. In any case, all of these things are pretty solid, but mostly just for when you're really got the base game down.
Thanks for this tidbit of information... I don't plan on purchasing the expansion anytime soon, I just wish I had it because I feel I need to own everything related to something I have, heh. Stupid quirk of mine... Anyhow, we'll probably stick to using 5 epidemic cards until we're comfortable with that, before we move on with an expansion.

On a side note, played two games last night before bed time... The games ran really close in terms of points, which are always the best.

1x Ascension
My girlfriend won this one, but it wasn't a brutal beating like last time. The final score was 88 to 76. The more we play this game, the more we find that it is a really fun, solid game. I also love including the Rat King promo cards.

1x Dominion
We shuffled the "random" deck cards of both Dominion and Intrigue, then laid them out face down to select 10. It was an interesting pairing of decks that we randomly selected, such as the Moat to counter Militia, and the Torturer. The Great Hall and Harem was also chosen, to which those sold like hot cakes. I was victorious by a hair... The final score was 38 to 37.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnygaard View Post
Just wanted to let everybody know that Days of Wonder has released an open Beta version of Memoire '44 online.
Now I can play my favorite boardgame against the whole world!

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/
Just curious but how many 'gold ingots' does it take to play a game?

- Raider30

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games