Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old June 24th, 2019, 08:54 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [AotV] Pre-Brainstorming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I like the theming more as an alien terraforming the battlefield than as a Water Elemental spreading its element, but either one could work as thematic justification. I also wouldn't be opposed to pairing some kind of terrain-based ability with a healing ability (perhaps even boosted when targeting figures on water spaces, if we wanted the two powers to play together more).

Nice memory on recalling Durnipia! I'd have no problems with making Kiora Durnipia (given the alien lizard arm that Valguard has, I actually think it's a really cool reference), although her colors are better suited to Aquilla than Einar. It looks like we never saw more of Durnipia outside of Valguard's bio, though, so there's plenty of room to flesh her out as we see fit.
I think she's also referenced as "Einar's healer" in the bio for the 10th Regiment of Foot.
Old June 24th, 2019, 09:39 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think the bronze can work for Einar.
Old June 26th, 2019, 04:24 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

An idea for Merfolk Roilmage.
Storm surge: When [MR] is on a water space and is attacking or defending, he is considered to have height advantage. If the figure's base that he is attacking or is being attacked by is more than 10 levels above [MR's] base he doesn't get storm surge.

Long live heroscape
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:35 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Updated the unit catalogue with links to the Pod 1 threads! Sorry I haven't been able to handle a lot of stuff on my end lately since I've working quite a few extra hours and have been feeling rather lazy when I'm not at work.

Quote:
An idea for Merfolk Roilmage.
Storm surge: When [MR] is on a water space and is attacking or defending, he is considered to have height advantage. If the figure's base that he is attacking or is being attacked by is more than 10 levels above [MR's] base he doesn't get storm surge.
I'm not sure how well switching height advantages works in rules context however we can pull from the Microcorp Troopers from the C3V in denying enemies their height advantage.

Something like:

Quote:
Storm Surge:
Figures attacking or defending against <Merfolk Roilmage> never have height advantage.
Pairing that with Water Mastery or a similar buffing power can help replicate switching Height Advantage while keeping in with canonic powers.

Kiora working as an alien priestess working under Einar (as Durnipa) sounds like a great idea. I like how it also opens the door for future scifi units following Einar later on, something that really hasn't been tapped into yet but has no reason to not be reality.

Giving her powers that have an association with water and healing will work well in the set because there is quite a bit of water on the cardboard flats. That's a fantastic direction for her.

As a potential twist on "going back to sleep," we could do this:
Quote:
Go Back to Bed
When an opponent reveals an Order Marker on a Unique Hero within X clear sight spaces of Nissa, you may immediately roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, remove that Order Marker from the opposing hero's Army Card. The controlling player does not get to take a turn with it this round.
That's a more defensive twist on Dünd, which could feel more distinct. I'm not a big fan of the name for the power, but it would be easy enough to change. I also think that it's weird to put one guy to sleep and watch as an entire squad does as well, hence the Unique Hero restriction.

I believe the name was intended to be more tongue in cheek than anything, @Astroking112 .

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 29th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I believe the name was intended to be more tongue in cheek than anything, @Astroking112 .
Then you should've put it in all-caps. Capitalizing everything solves everything on the Internet.
Old June 29th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroking112 View Post
Quote:
i believe the name was intended to be more tongue in cheek than anything, @astroking112 .
then you should've put it in all-caps. Capitalizing everything solves everything on the internet.
like this right?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 29th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Talking Re: :p

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroking112 View Post
Quote:
i believe the name was intended to be more tongue in cheek than anything, @astroking112 .
then you should've put it in all-caps. Capitalizing everything solves everything on the internet.
like this right?
You missed a C, so I have no option but to take you seriously.
Old August 8th, 2019, 02:06 AM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is looking like a super cool project! Just some thoughts:
  • The unpainted figures look pretty rough, even the transparent ones. Not a big fan of introducing a bunch of translucent figures to the game. But on a much more positive note, the sculpts look good otherwise, and I've seen some pictures on the internet with a very minimal paint job that makes things look pretty stinking good.
  • At first I was a bit sceptical of the "all unique" thing, mostly cuz I figured, hey, 2 of the official master sets had commons, and if you made the fire critters common heros you could expand the elementals and 3 common heros is plenty. But then I realized that the fire critters don't really work as elementals, and I figured hey unique squads are cool!
  • Any thoughts on giving the glyphs of knowledge and recall new heroscapey names? If you're gonna print out cards then I don't think it'd be too much to ask to print out a glyph picture to glue to the glyphs. That'd be cool and artsy I think.
Anyway, super cool project, looks like it's moving along well, I'd love to help out.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old August 8th, 2019, 02:22 AM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
  • The unpainted figures look pretty rough, even the transparent ones. Not a big fan of introducing a bunch of translucent figures to the game. But on a much more positive note, the sculpts look good otherwise, and I've seen some pictures on the internet with a very minimal paint job that makes things look pretty stinking good.
  • At first I was a bit sceptical of the "all unique" thing, mostly cuz I figured, hey, 2 of the official master sets had commons, and if you made the fire critters common heros you could expand the elementals and 3 common heros is plenty. But then I realized that the fire critters don't really work as elementals, and I figured hey unique squads are cool!
  • Any thoughts on giving the glyphs of knowledge and recall new heroscapey names? If you're gonna print out cards then I don't think it'd be too much to ask to print out a glyph picture to glue to the glyphs. That'd be cool and artsy I think.
Anyway, super cool project, looks like it's moving along well, I'd love to help out.
By all means, please lend a hand! Toss ideas in here, and feel free to join up with Pod 1 (who never got completely filled).

Using the unpainted/translucent figures does open up an actual Master Set that anyone can pick up the 3 individual boxes and have an actual variety of units. It’s worth the trade if we can get squads made (and a few extra heroes!) Additionally, simple paint jobs will be made to really give them some life! For Ozuul (the big Eldrazi Ruiner figure), I had considered painting his hands and arms black, but in the style of bloodstains. For Avacyn, I was thinking grey wings and spear. Really give her that Angel feather look with a single color. But, all art stuff has to wait until we get some more designs down.

Uniques are fun! Look at RotV; after all these years it’s still fun right out of the box with plenty of variety.

Regarding Glyphs, it looks like we might stick to what’s written on the glyphs for now, but it hasn’t been super decided yet. It doesn’t help that several members of that pod have been occupied with other aspects of life. I’d expect a resurgence real soon!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old August 8th, 2019, 03:39 AM

Lumovanis Woo who?

Has anyone done anything with Nahiri yet?
Old August 8th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumovanis View Post
Not yet. I recall suggesting she be a Native American or something, to help make her historical. The skin tone isn’t 100% accurate, but the furs she’s wearing does help.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old August 8th, 2019, 07:36 PM

Thanks for checking out the project, Maklar! Feedback and interest are always welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
Yeah, some of the unpainted miniatures look less than ideal, but we want to balance that with getting enough value out of the boxes to make a true Master Set. Like you mentioned, for anyone with the talent and inclination to do so, minimal paint jobs can make them look a lot better.

Quote:
Glad to hear that you came around to the Unique Squad angle! It's tempting to make some of the stuff Common (especially because many of us already owned multiple sets), but I think that it's for the benefit of the project to keep everything unique in the vein of Rise of the Valkyrie.

I'm not a big fan of renaming the glyphs. If we did do that, we'd definitely need to print out a new sticker for each, but I personally am not bothered by the different names enough to think that it's necessary. They're already going to look different than the classic glyphs, so I'm fine with embracing that a little and saying that they're artifacts from within this strange new region that the Valkyries are investigating.

Quote:
If we have enough public support, we can definitely start a new pod to get more units in the pipeline. We stopped at Pods 0 and 1 for the time being because it didn't seem like there were enough public volunteers left (we're looking for 5 for each pod), but if there's enough interest then we could definitely start preparing another one.

Quote:
By all means, please lend a hand! Toss ideas in here, and feel free to join up with Pod 1 (who never got completely filled).
I'm not sure that Pod 1 is looking to fill that spot at this point. They've recently gotten a consensus for many of their units, so they might not want to take on another voice at this stage. It's ultimately up to their leaders, of course, but there might be enough people to start another pod if we're interested in that route.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumovanis View Post
Not yet. I recall suggesting she be a Native American or something, to help make her historical. The skin tone isn’t 100% accurate, but the furs she’s wearing does help.
I know that we're looking for historically themed units, but this feels like a bit of a stretch to me personally, given the extremely pale skin, armor, and weaponry. Whatever the route for her ends up being, I don't want to see it forced because we feel we need another design of a certain kind.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs