Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
My science test.

Ok, please recognize that these are my beliefs, and you are not forced to believe, or say I am right.

So today in science class I got inside and sat down awaiting further instructions, at the time our class subject was how old the earth is, now the science books tell us that the earth is over 4.5 billion years old, and in Christianity about 8000 years old.

Anyways when my science teacher got in he sat down, and announced that we were to be having a test, over that unit. As I received the test, i looked at it, a good 3 pages front and back, not much. I sat down and began to answer the questions truthfully. as I was reading through the pages I came upon a answer reading this:
"How old is the earth about"
1. 3.5 billion yrs.
2. 4.5 billion yrs.
3. 4.0 billion yrs.
4. 5.8 billion years.
As I read this question I decided to stick up for what I believed and wrote.
6. 8000 yrs.

Now naturally I got the answer wrong, but for me It was right, and I was very proud of it.

I was wondering, is there anything you guys have done, and answered specifically that you knew was wrong but right in your religion, beliefs, etc...

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: My science test.

I'm not criticizing anybody's beliefs or religion here.

The test was on what they were teaching you, not what your beliefs were. If you were taught in that class was that the earth was 4.5 billion years old, then the correct answer on the science test was 4.5 billion years old. You can still believe that it is 8000 years old. The class doesn't affect your belief.

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishlad5 View Post
Ok, please recognize that these are my beliefs, and you are not forced to believe, or say I am right.

So today in science class I got inside and sat down awaiting further instructions, at the time our class subject was how old the earth is, now the science books tell us that the earth is over 4.5 billion years old, and in Christianity about 8000 years old.

Anyways when my science teacher got in he sat down, and announced that we were to be having a test, over that unit. As I received the test, i looked at it, a good 3 pages front and back, not much. I sat down and began to answer the questions truthfully. as I was reading through the pages I came upon a answer reading this:
1. 3.5 billion yrs.
2. 4.5 billion yrs.
3. 4.0 billion yrs.
4. 5.8 billion years.
6. 8000 yrs.

Now naturally I got the answer wrong, but for me It was right, and I was very proud of it.

I was wondering, is there anything you guys have done, and answered specifically that you knew was wrong but right in your religion, beliefs, etc...
Look. I believe in no religon, partly because of inconsisties like that. But that's not the point. Christians themselves (not all, but most do) admit that the Bible is not completely true. They admit that there are mistakes in it. But like Jim says, it doesn't come down to your beliefs. It comes down to what you're being taught.

Personally, I think that's not the time or place to be making a religous statement. And it was also quite rude to your teacher.

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty the Awasome View Post
Quote:

1. 3.5 billion yrs.
2. 4.5 billion yrs.
3. 4.0 billion yrs.
4. 5.8 billion years.
6. 8000 yrs.

Look. I believe in no religon, partly because of inconsisties like that. But that's not the point. 1.Christians themselves (not all, but most do) admit that the Bible is not completely true. They admit that there are mistakes in it. But like Jim says, it doesn't come down to your beliefs. It comes down to what you're being taught.

Personally, I think that's not the time or place to be making a religous statement. 2. And it was also quite rude to your teacher.
1. I would say that this is not is completely true. Most Christians I think would believe that the ible is 100% completely true.
2. I'm not sure how this was so rude to his teacher. Please explain.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

1. 3.5 billion yrs.
2. 4.5 billion yrs.
3. 4.0 billion yrs.
4. 5.8 billion years.
6. 8000 yrs.

Look. I believe in no religon, partly because of inconsisties like that. But that's not the point. Christians themselves (not all, but most do) admit that the Bible is not completely true. They admit that there are mistakes in it. But like Jim says, it doesn't come down to your beliefs. It comes down to what you're being taught.

Personally, I think that's not the time or place to be making a religous statement. And it was also quite rude to your teacher.

Yes, he must have been extremely mad at me for, doing what the entire education system tells us to do, think outside of the work presented...
It is no more annoying than a student lying to the teacher, its no more annoying than, a student getting a question wrong.

seriously guys I wasn't trying to say how my religion was right, I trying to spark a conversation, by a example just in case you didn't read the last line...
rant over. sorry if I offended anyone..

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Perhaps it's not because of the wrong answer you wrote down, that you failed that question, but because the teacher was angry that you skipped answer #5 and went right to #6.

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Pyro with a G-String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Perhaps it's not because of the wrong answer you wrote down, that you failed that question, but because the teacher was angry that you skipped answer #5 and went right to #6.

hehe, oops.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pti8 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

1. 3.5 billion yrs.
2. 4.5 billion yrs.
3. 4.0 billion yrs.
4. 5.8 billion years.
6. 8000 yrs.

Look. I believe in no religon, partly because of inconsisties like that. But that's not the point. 1.Christians themselves (not all, but most do) admit that the Bible is not completely true. They admit that there are mistakes in it. But like Jim says, it doesn't come down to your beliefs. It comes down to what you're being taught.

Personally, I think that's not the time or place to be making a religous statement. 2. And it was also quite rude to your teacher.
1. I would say that this is not is completely true. Most Christians I think would believe that the ible is 100% completely true.
2. I'm not sure how this was so rude to his teacher. Please explain.
1. Most Christians I've heard from belive it's not 100% true. However, I am no expert. It's all opnion, really.

2. Because his teacher isn't talking about religous views, nor is he trying to force his views on anyone else. He's simply doing his job to teach. There's no reason to do that on a test when the teacher hasn't even mentioned religon.

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

I am a Christian and actually believe in an earth that is billions of years old. Anyways, I agree with Jim. Even if you don't believe it, that is the correct answer for the class. If the question asked you to denounce your faith or something like that, that would be a different story.

I actually have a similar story from college. I had a religious professor during my freshman who taught something I disagreed with at the time (I can't remember exactly what it is now). On the test there was a question about it, and I circled the answer he was looking for and wrote a note beside the question that it was not what I believed. Looking back, I guess I felt like I had to take a stand, although now I would not have thought twice about just circling the correct answer for the class and moving on. I'm certainly not saying you did anything wrong (or rude for that matter)--I would just say that I don't believe that you would have offended God if you would have circled the answer correct for the class.

Another thought just popped in my head-it seems that maybe you feel like you are being indoctrinated by the school system with things you don't necessarily believe and are trying in a quiet way to fight it. Is that part of the reason you wrote that answer?
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Pyro with a G-String

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSisforcoolkids View Post
I am a Christian and actually believe in an earth that is billions of years old. Anyways, I agree with Jim. Even if you don't believe it, that is the correct answer for the class. If the question asked you to denounce your faith or something like that, that would be a different story.

I actually have a similar story from college. I had a religious professor during my freshman who taught something I disagreed with at the time (I can't remember exactly what it is now). On the test there was a question about it, and I circled the answer he was looking for and wrote a note beside the question that it was not what I believed. Looking back, I guess I felt like I had to take a stand, although now I would not have thought twice about just circling the correct answer for the class and moving on. I'm certainly not saying you did anything wrong (or rude for that matter)--I would just say that I don't believe that you would have offended God if you would have circled the answer correct for the class.

Another thought just popped in my head-it seems that maybe you feel like you are being indoctrinated by the school system with things you don't necessarily believe and are trying in a quiet way to fight it. Is that part of the reason you wrote that answer?
Thank you for giving a example.. by response you mean, the response on the quiz, because if so, then no, I am not trying to go on a huge rant and battle over how old the earth is. I lust felt like, showing my religion, and what I thought about the subject, without telling the whole world..

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:30 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I once took a science course that taught the billions-year-theory. I don't believe that, but when the test came, I wrote down the answer they wanted.

...But I put what I believed in parenthesis after it. I had the other one circled, but I had to.... I didn't get marked wrong that way.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Cthulhu1979 is surprisingly tart

Quote:

How many times have I taken a test where I believed my answer was right, yet my teacher marked it as wrong. Mostly it was in trigonometry, which I'm fairly certain I can't even spell correctly anymore

I can understand your desire to express your religious beliefs, however, there is always a time and a place for everything. We live in a rather compartamentalized society; part of this is in order to separate religious truths from those arrived at by the scientific method. Neither is ever completely correct, except for when they are terribly vague.

Kinda like the Buddhist story about the blind men and the elephant: none of us know the truth because none of us can see the entirety of the universe.

In class, you were being taught how to reason via the scientific method, or so I assume as it was a science class. There is little scientific method in answering a question with your desire to express your religion.

Example:

Question: Bob has two apples, Jane has three. Jane gives Bob her apples; how many apples does Bob have?

Answer: Bob has no apples. As a matter of fact, seeing as all life is an illusion created by my living soul, Bob doesn't even exist. Nor do you. Nor does this test.

There is someone answering a word problem with their belief in an immaterial world from a solipsistic perspective. I think that the example expresses, at least a little, why some have considered your actions as being rude towards your teacher.

Perhaps, if you really wanted to express yourself, you could have chose to do so face-to-face, rather than amidst a test. Have you considered that your teacher may be upset because he/she had not considered (what said teacher may have perceived as) your tender feelings about the subject of creationism?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General