Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old September 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
At the same time, I think we need a good way to (gently!) reprimand people who post questions that can be answered directly from the rulebook or cards. If you look at this thread, it's obvious that the first two posters did not even bother to read the rulebook, or if they read, did not understand. In this one, Cavalier tried to educate the first poster a little bit by showing him where the answers were, but no luck. At some point, people are going to signal a little disapproval, and I think they have the right to do that. We shouldn't be mean, but we shouldn't have to pretend it's good behavior, either.
Less-than-complete understanding of the rules is bad behavior? Since when?
I didn't say that less-than-complete understanding of the rules is bad behavior. If it sounded like that, I was unclear. On the contrary, I think the number of after-the-fact rulings that customer service has disgorged over the relatively short lifetime of Heroscape is evidence that no one outside Hasbro has a truly complete understanding of the rules. Even now there are things that no one in the playing public really knows for sure. And there's plenty that I don't know as well. But I definitely think it's bad behavior to start a new thread asking for information that is found in the manual or on the cards. We shouldn't be rude to people who do it, but we should correct them, guide them away from doing it again.

Quote:
Posting pictures of a couple of army cards and presenting it as a puzzle to be solved isn't very friendly or helpful.
I couldn't disagree with you more. I think Cavalier's response in that thread was a better one than just answering the question would have been. He didn't put him down, didn't smart off, but he showed him where he was wrong. If I had more patience, I'd do the same thing myself.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
I'm glad I haven't been here in several days. (That way, I know he's not talking to me. :P )

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:
Posting pictures of a couple of army cards and presenting it as a puzzle to be solved isn't very friendly or helpful.
I couldn't disagree with you more. I think Cavalier's response in that thread was a better one than just answering the question would have been.
You might be able to argue that it was a better response, or even a helpful one, but you'll never convince me it was friendly.

Quote:
He didn't put him down, didn't smart off, but he showed him where he was wrong. If I had more patience, I'd do the same thing myself.
That's where we may have to agree to disagree. In my experience, the people who are most gifted at bringing the snark can do it without being obvious about it. It's not hard to put down a newb in such a way that only those in the know realize what's going on.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well said, GB.

It may drive some of us hardcore fans insane to see these redundant questions, but lighten up on the snappy responses.
You come off as @sses.

There are still people (and young ones at that!) who are new to a forum experience. As well, if you visit several different forums, you'll find they can be run and/or navigable in entirely different ways. Finding information can be a time-involved task for whoever may be searching.

We all should be HAPPY we have people coming to us to ask questions and keeping the production of the game steady. I love to see the members jump in and lend a hand understanding the game, but I'm severely disheartened with the image of this fan site with some of the crapholes start giving their all-encompassing knowledge with a gratuitous side of attitude.

It's like a bully mentatlity to jump on someone the way folks around here love to do.
I like this game and community a lot, but sometimes I wonder who the heck I'm spending my time with.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more. I think Cavalier's response in that thread was a better one than just answering the question would have been.
You might be able to argue that it was a better response, or even a helpful one, but you'll never convince me it was friendly.
There's nothing friendly about an admin locking someone's thread or banning him, either, but sometimes it has to happen for the boards to go on being a good place to visit. Sometimes the response that's most friendly isn't the most appropriate.

Quote:
Quote:
He didn't put him down, didn't smart off, but he showed him where he was wrong. If I had more patience, I'd do the same thing myself.
That's where we may have to agree to disagree. In my experience, the people who are most gifted at bringing the snark can do it without being obvious about it. It's not hard to put down a newb in such a way that only those in the know realize what's going on.
In these cases, I don't want to "bring the snark" in such a way that my victim doesn't know he's been hit; I do want him to know that I wish he would find his answers another way. It's good to be polite, but it's bad to withhold the signal of disapproval that might prompt someone to read his manual again or look up a FAQ. Like you say, maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:43 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Quote:
There's nothing friendly about an admin locking someone's thread or banning him, either, but sometimes it has to happen for the boards to go on being a good place to visit.
A good place to visit for who? For the people who have already been here a while or for everybody? Because if we aren't initially friendly to the newbs, this won't seem like a good place to visit to them.

Quote:
In these cases, I don't want to "bring the snark" in such a way that my victim doesn't know he's been hit; I do want him to know that I wish he would find his answers another way. It's good to be polite, but it's bad to withhold the signal of disapproval that might prompt someone to read his manual again or look up a FAQ. Like you say, maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.
Maybe you don't bring the snark that way, but others do. Incidentally, you may want to read the words you're choosing. "Victim?" "Hit?" What are we, Heroscape enforcers? Anyway, I fully believe in educating people about the benefits of reading their rules and looking up FAQs. I just don't think a signal of disapproval is necessary to do so. Then again, maybe I haven't dealt with enough people who are consistently and willfully ignorant. If you have, my sympathies.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Be nice? No more piling on? But what if they really deserve it?

Can we at least get a "piling on" smilie?
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann
Can we at least get a "piling on" smilie?

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
It's simple guys!!! Not hard at all!! Be nice! Be helpful! Or just simply don't post in response to the poor unsuspecting noobs! You can be firm AND helpful!! I know this for a fact. I don't want to see any of you "reprimanding" a person for asking a question YOU might think is dumb. There's just no call for it.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Embraces the Suck

Quote:
Maybe you don't bring the snark that way, but others do. Incidentally, you may want to read the words you're choosing. "Victim?" "Hit?" What are we, Heroscape enforcers? Anyway, I fully believe in educating people about the benefits of reading their rules and looking up FAQs. I just don't think a signal of disapproval is necessary to do so. Then again, maybe I haven't dealt with enough people who are consistently and willfully ignorant. If you have, my sympathies.
To my mind, snark is something you would "hit" a "victim" with, sure. I don't see the mistake. Maybe what you mean by snarkiness isn't what I thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
It's simple guys!!! Not hard at all!! Be nice! Be helpful! Or just simply don't post in response to the poor unsuspecting noobs! You can be firm AND helpful!! I know this for a fact. I don't want to see any of you "reprimanding" a person for asking a question YOU might think is dumb. There's just no call for it.
Reading a card or manual is simple, too. Why are you putting all the pressure on the one who answers the question and none on the one who asks it? If I ask a question that's covered in the manual, and you give a rude reply, we're both wrong. If you're going to stickify your complaint about bad replies, how about some kind of RTFC sticky to combat these stupid questions?
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Quote:
To my mind, snark is something you would "hit" a "victim" with, sure. I don't see the mistake. Maybe what you mean by snarkiness isn't what I thought of.

Quote:
Reading a card or manual is simple, too. Why are you putting all the pressure on the one who answers the question and none on the one who asks it? If I ask a question that's covered in the manual, and you give a rude reply, we're both wrong. If you're going to stickify your complaint about bad replies, how about some kind of RTFC sticky to combat these stupid questions?
You mean something like this:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=6970

Newb.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You mean something like this:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=6970

Newb.
Yes exactly Thanks Newb. Perhaps you rdhight could brush up a bit on what we already have available here. Like I said, if you can't answer the persons question with a kind and respectful response, whether you think it is a stupid one or not, then simply do not respond to it.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's