Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 5th, 2022, 04:50 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Well, I just lost to my 7 year old for the first time...

...and I'm sure not the last time.

We tried the basic version a couple years ago, but I found it kinda meh, so I packed it away with plans to break it out again when he was ready for the master rules. He's coincidentally been asking about it recently, and The News really jump started me, so today we did the full thing. He picked his own army, managed his own OMs and was responsible for his own movement and tactical decisions. He only needed a couple reminders for stuff like height or to check special rules on a card.

I think it helped his quick grasp of HS that he's waaay into board games. Star Wars Risk is one of his favorites, so he already experienced at making skirmish decisions and prioritizing actions based on how things are going.

For posterity, his army was Shurrak, Werewolf Lord and WoB x2, and I took DW8K, Brunak and Vipers x2.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old September 5th, 2022, 05:44 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Well, I just lost to my 7 year old for the first time...

Nice story. I've always thought Heroscape is a great game for teaching kids reading comprehension and arithmetic.
Old September 5th, 2022, 08:40 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Nice story. I've always thought Heroscape is a great game for teaching kids reading comprehension and arithmetic.
My son was ahead of all his classmates when he started kinder…I fully chalk it up to Heroscape. He learned how to add and subtract playing games subtracting the shields from the skulls and then adding wounds to calculate remaining life. The markers helped get that concept down I feel. Also we had a binder with all the cards and some days he’d sit next to me flipping through and have me tell him “what does this one do”. Eventually he was reading them to me. When he started making armies he was using bigger numbers…so basically…yeah I agree

Also K, I used to give my son larger armies than myself so I didn’t have to hold back and it could still be fun for both. He got to see real strategy and not daddy taking it easy strategy and I think it helped develop his skills. As he got better army totals came closer and closer. He beats me more than I beat him now. He’s 14 now but started before Starting school and he never wanted to play basic…he wanted to use Iron Mans powers.

Enjoy and I hope you have many more years of enjoyment

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old September 5th, 2022, 09:39 PM

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Also K, I used to give my son larger armies than myself so I didn’t have to hold back and it could still be fun for both. He got to see real strategy and not daddy taking it easy strategy and I think it helped develop his skills. As he got better army totals came closer and closer.
Sounds like we're on the same page. By design our armies definitely weren't competitively balanced. I let him pick his first then selected mine to give him a good match up that would still be fun for me to play and fun for him to play against. High variability ftw. But I also didn't pull any punches once we started throwing dice. And he has no expectation of that. I don't let him win just to let him win. I have a picture somewhere on my phone of him crying after I killed his Raelin the first time we tried HS a couple years ago.

Last edited by Killometer; September 5th, 2022 at 09:58 PM. Reason: I didn't mean to make him cry, and I only took the pic because it was adorable how passionate he was, not out of mean-spirite
Old September 5th, 2022, 10:52 PM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

I introduced my 7 year old (well, she’ll be 7 in December) and her 5 year old sister to a makeshift version of the basic rules using the Marvel set recently. They’re kindergarten and first grade, and are both learning reading and math basics in school; I’m optimistic that Heroscape will be a good tool to help them with those skills, while also providing some good father-daughter bonding (hah, a Heroscape pun).
Old September 6th, 2022, 06:33 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Both my kids started playing at age 8. I didn't think they'd be able to pick up on it until then.
Since introducing them, I have a roughly 10% per cent win ratio. Of course the oldest just started to university and the other is looking forward to driving lessons.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 6th, 2022 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Then they stared reprogramming my phone on me...rotten little...grumble, grumble, grumble
Old September 6th, 2022, 01:29 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
My son was ahead of all his classmates when he started kinder…I fully chalk it up to Heroscape. He learned how to add and subtract playing games subtracting the shields from the skulls and then adding wounds to calculate remaining life. The markers helped get that concept down I feel. Also we had a binder with all the cards and some days he’d sit next to me flipping through and have me tell him “what does this one do”. Eventually he was reading them to me. When he started making armies he was using bigger numbers…so basically…yeah I agree

Also K, I used to give my son larger armies than myself so I didn’t have to hold back and it could still be fun for both. He got to see real strategy and not daddy taking it easy strategy and I think it helped develop his skills. As he got better army totals came closer and closer. He beats me more than I beat him now. He’s 14 now but started before Starting school and he never wanted to play basic…he wanted to use Iron Mans powers.

Enjoy and I hope you have many more years of enjoyment
My son started playing around 5 or 6 I think? He started playing games solo around 7 or 8. He's 9 now and I played against him and the neighbor kid 2v2 (I ran two armies). I gave them an ~80 point handicap per army (I was down ~160 points total) and just narrowly won.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 6th, 2022, 08:51 PM

1-1 now. 240 vs 360 wasn't quite enough of a handicap. I'm going to start running through C-F tier units that I usually have had to avoid when playing my hyper-competitive brother or at tourneys. I'm looking forward to getting some play time with some figs that have never seen a hex.

Old September 12th, 2022, 11:25 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Blame the dice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion