Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: In-house Meta Game

Right now the #1 fig here in Ben Lomond is Morsbane. Both my brother and I like our big, expensive, Special-heavy heroes, so we always have plenty of targets for Negation. It isn't uncommon to have Morsbane trying to negate Morsbane.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM

tshill12 Woo who?

Yeah, it's fun to think about how our styles have evolved. Of course we started out like everyone with big heavy cool looking heroes dominating the game, not ever considering how more attacks are better. I remember the first time time I faced the KMA Raelin combo and thought it was impossible to defeat. That dominated our game for a looooong time. At one point my brother gave me rats for my birthday (which I'm sure he has regretted every day since) so that took over the game for a month or two. Lately the theme has been bonding, bonding bonding. The last dozen armies I've played have had bonding in the worst way. How can you beat free turns with Braxas, Mimring or Krug? Lately we've been trying themed armies or other wise regulated armies to promote trying new units and getting out of our shells, which has been a lot of fun, but I still look for any chance I get to sneak Q9 in. Nothing tastes better than Q9 wrapped in Bacon
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshill12 View Post
I still look for any chance I get to sneak Q9 in. Nothing tastes better than Q9 wrapped in Bacon
So that's why you want us to each bring a Vydar army.

That's okay, I have a few new tricks for that army, and some old friends for my other general's army.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM

Master of the fen is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

my friend likes to play the omnicrons, so i try to use figures that can repel their attack or get rid of them i'm looking at you pk's. i use sharwin to destroy all of his omnicrons once, and then when on a six turn frenzy rampage with his squad of vipers i was using. i like to use mainly d&d utgar figures and elementals, but am going to switch to gruts. my friend like i said, likes to use omnicrons, and most of his army ends up being rangers. he likes to use the tarn viking and the viking brothers.
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of the fen View Post
my friend likes to play the omnicrons, so i try to use figures that can repel their attack or get rid of them i'm looking at you pk's. i use sharwin to destroy all of his omnicrons once, and then when on a six turn frenzy rampage with his squad of vipers i was using. i like to use mainly d&d utgar figures and elementals, but am going to switch to gruts. my friend like i said, likes to use omnicrons, and most of his army ends up being rangers. he likes to use the tarn viking and the viking brothers.
Welcome to the site (not sure if you have been welcomed yet)! That is a classic example of what I'm talking about. Not what's best, but favorites, new figures, and counters to favorite and new figures dominate. I've started to realize that my Meta-game is slowing closing the gap beetween melee and range. I do not have any multiples of 4 member ranged squads (execpt for blastrons, but no glads, so there still terrible) so if you want to go with range, you might actually have a tough time taking out everything that charging at you (without rats that is). Orcs are the best at laying down the hurt on range. They can charge in with a champion that helps there defense and offence (sometimes not in the case of Nerak) pretty fast too, and unleash basiclly 4 attacks of 3 ( 2 in the case of Nerak) and whatever there champion has in store for the enemy too.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:36 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

The metagame in my house has shifted to:
Spoiler Alert!

...made all the better by incredibly good d20 rolls.
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

With Cyprien it's feast or famine...

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:01 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Our Metagame has shifted to where Othkurik gets played almost every game. Even on maps without shadow or swamp. He's cheap, so more of us are willing to pay for him. Acid Spray has been on a streak of killing whole squads at a time. So Othkurik has a reputation of being stronger than he is. Because of this rats haven't been seen in months.

Old September 6th, 2010, 10:10 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hey other NYC guys, why don't you tell me when you discover such a great thread? +rep to The Thread Starter for sure! Where's Taeblewalker?

We are older players who Own It All, so our NYC Metagame tends to follow the Game Designers' production as new army cards come out (as most of us have been doing it since 2004). We get excited over new units, and most especially how new cards sometime 'rescue' old ones by making them more playable, which is the best design development of all.

But we try every variant of playing we can think of, from occasional General Specific Armies, Customs or Marvel Allowed, Drafting, Teleportation Hexes between multiple boards, to perhaps a Single Board Defender, or Collective Play in a Campaign (more than one player per army) 'cause fun and the exploration of what the Designers give us is ultimately more important than victory. We rotate who is designing and running each game, so everyone gets input into what we do from month to month. What 'shared philopsophies' (as Sherman Davies mentions above) are in evidence? Hmmm:

1. Not playing A+ units in general--what's the challenge there?
2. Getting every figure off the shelf every once in a while.
3. Trying out new team player combos and scenario ideas.
4. Not playing the same figures all the time (you get hazed).
5. Not playing the same cards as another player in the same game.
6. Medium sized boards (say 18 x 18 hexes) to fit monthly group 4+ player games.
7. An open invitation for new contacts to join us as visitor or regulars. My apartment can handle about up to six, but we may try up to eight some time (people stop by for 1 on 1 too on other days).
8. Experimentation.

We're having a good wacky time.

Last edited by chas; September 6th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
Spoiler Alert!

Except that I stopped using him because he was winning games for me too easily.
My home's big metagame mostly consists of the Jandar four-man squads (4th Mass and knights) and Braxas.

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

My home's big metagame mostly consists of the Jandar four-man squads (4th Mass and knights) and Braxas.
He just got banned (temporarily) from games. It's not really fun when he kills about 400 points and has 2 wound markers on him. (Which always seems to happen with him)
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM

AceofShadows is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

He just got banned (temporarily) from games. It's not really fun when he kills about 400 points and has 2 wound markers on him. (Which always seems to happen with him)
I remember a time when my brother destroyed my Jandar army with Cyprien. He rolled 20's on Srgt Drake, Alastair, and NILFHEIM! He also took out two squadies and another hero (don't remember who he was). Now every time my brother drafts Cyprien, I (along with everyone else) drafts either Q9 or plenty of squads.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles