Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 9th, 2019, 05:37 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Lazy Orang & Family's Classic Customs - Imperfect Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
The Cho-Ku-No are an excellent design! 4-man ranged squads are hard to get right, but I think you may have succeeded here. I will note that these gentlemen could be nasty with MDG. Fortunately their range is short enough to not be overpowering.

May I ask what the minis are?
Thanks for the kind words, chap! I'm fairly happy with how they turned out. 4-man ranged squads do tend to be a bit tricky, though I do have plans for a few more - loads of historical customs I want to design, as I said, and it'll be nice to see more variety in that area so you don't just see the wait then fire squads all the time.
They do quite like Marcus - it takes more of a faff with Order Marker management than is worthwhile to make the attack boost happen most of the time (plus they'll just get shot to pieces while he moves up), but the boost to 6 Move is invaluable for them
The figures are Unarmoured Chinese Crossbowmen from Casting Room Miniatures - a couple of packs are enough for three squads. They come unpainted, but fully sculpted, so all you need to do is pop 'em on a base and give 'em a fairly simple paint job and you're set. Of course, they are in the U.K., which is great for me, but not so much for anyone in the U.S who wants them...

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; July 23rd, 2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old February 9th, 2019, 08:59 AM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Huh, I've stumbled across pics of repeating crossbows before, but I always kinda wrote them off as being a too fantastical... like Flails/Morning Stars lol

Excellent design, I love how the drawbacks from Repeating Crossbow naturally keep the squad in check if they have height, MDG, etc. I would've never thought that a common squad that can easily chuck 10-12 attacks in a turn would be balanced, but you pulled it off! Do they slow the game down too much? It seems like an awful lot of rolling in one turn, especially with the d20 roll thrown in.

Also, I love that the figs even look like classic 'Scape figs, so good job paining them! Keep up the good work!

P.S. Might steal this design for a PvE Scenario some time...
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post
Huh, I've stumbled across pics of repeating crossbows before, but I always kinda wrote them off as being a too fantastical... like Flails/Morning Stars lol

Excellent design, I love how the drawbacks from Repeating Crossbow naturally keep the squad in check if they have height, MDG, etc. I would've never thought that a common squad that can easily chuck 10-12 attacks in a turn would be balanced, but you pulled it off! Do they slow the game down too much? It seems like an awful lot of rolling in one turn, especially with the d20 roll thrown in.

Also, I love that the figs even look like classic 'Scape figs, so good job paining them! Keep up the good work!

Wow! Thanks for the kind words, chap! (Though I'm not sure what a PvE scenario is and now I'm curious...) I was fairly happy with how Repeating Crossbow kept a natural check on attack boosts.
I don't find that they slow games down, generally - you're making a lot of rolls, sure, but they're super quick to read, a large amount of the time they simply miss so a defence roll isn't even necessary, and when defence is rolled, you're usually just checking to see if there was at least one shield, rather than enough to block the full attack, since more than one skull is unlikely - those little seconds of checking the dice being reduced to micro-seconds allow you to keep rolling in very quick succession, so while lots of attacks are being made, they fly by, which is quite fitting really. When you then add that the number of attacks in total will usually be reduced by jamming (I generally find the average is around 8-10 attacks in a turn), and the fact that you'll actually be rolling for poison fairly rarely (the number of attacks that inflict a wound is far lower than the number of attacks total, and poison only works against certain targets), and they really don't slow the game down... unless you're using the online app, which I unfortunately use for testing. The dice rolling for that tends to lag enough that they can be a little frustrating to play on that, but on a physical battlefield, there's no issue unless you keep dropping your dice off the table and stooping to pick them up!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:47 AM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post

Wow! Thanks for the kind words, chap! (Though I'm not sure what a PvE scenario is and now I'm curious...) I was fairly happy with how Repeating Crossbow kept a natural check on attack boosts.
I don't find that they slow games down, generally - you're making a lot of rolls, sure, but they're super quick to read, a large amount of the time they simply miss so a defence roll isn't even necessary, and when defence is rolled, you're usually just checking to see if there was at least one shield, rather than enough to block the full attack, since more than one skull is unlikely - those little seconds of checking the dice being reduced to micro-seconds allow you to keep rolling in very quick succession, so while lots of attacks are being made, they fly by, which is quite fitting really. When you then add that the number of attacks in total will usually be reduced by jamming (I generally find the average is around 8-10 attacks in a turn), and the fact that you'll actually be rolling for poison fairly rarely (the number of attacks that inflict a wound is far lower than the number of attacks total, and poison only works against certain targets), and they really don't slow the game down... unless you're using the online app, which I unfortunately use for testing. The dice rolling for that tends to lag enough that they can be a little frustrating to play on that, but on a physical battlefield, there's no issue unless you keep dropping your dice off the table and stooping to pick them up!
PvE is Player vs Environment, so think dungeon crawls or campaigns like the C3G's World's Finest. They're something I love designing and running, but I seldom get to indulge in...

And I see your points about the rolling, especially since you aren't gonna be picking new targets for each and every attack lol I like these kinds of high variance units, I'll have to find a place to use them some time
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Hard as ice

Awesome, chap!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 13th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Hard as ice

The Tome of Chu-Ko-Nu

The Tome of Chu-Ko-Nu

Custom Set Fourteen
Imperfect Innovation

(Card by @mac122 )
Homeworld: Earth

The figures used for this unit are Casting Room Miniatures figures from the Chinese range.
The model name and number are Unarmoured Chinese Crossbowmen (HAN012).

Card Text

Spoiler Alert!

Unit Bio
Spoiler Alert!

Rulings, Clarifications and Errata
Spoiler Alert!

Combinations and Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Immunities, Benefits and Weaknesses

Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 13th, 2019, 05:18 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Great looking crossbowman LO. I really like the design.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 13th, 2019, 06:42 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I really like these guys. They remind me of the Ashigaru, but less reliant on Kato or Raelin to be worthwhile (although the latter definitely helps, as always). Seeing more historical figures is always nice, too, given how rare good minis for them can be nowadays.

It's particularly neat how I'm looking at a common squad that can potentially get 12 ranged attacks in and not feeling like it's overwhelming. Great job!
Old February 18th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I really like these guys. They remind me of the Ashigaru, but less reliant on Kato or Raelin to be worthwhile (although the latter definitely helps, as always). Seeing more historical figures is always nice, too, given how rare good minis for them can be nowadays.

It's particularly neat how I'm looking at a common squad that can potentially get 12 ranged attacks in and not feeling like it's overwhelming. Great job!
Forgot about this. Really appreciate the comments, chaps, especially this one. Yeah, I'm quite proud of managing to make a multi-attacking common ranged squad balanced. Hoping to be able to start putting out more historical stuff too, so watch this space!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 18th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Tome of Chu-Ko-Nu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
The Chu-Ko-Nu are designed for use with second edition dice or Valkyrie Dice - they will not work properly played with first edition dice.
This clears up my only question. Great design! It's good to see a unique well-designed 4-man ranged squad that's neither overpowered nor underpowered.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old March 9th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Hard as ice

Re: Lazy Orang & Family's Customs - A Prophecy Fulfilled

Custom Set 15:
A Prophecy Fulfilled

Do not perform an action for the reward it may bring. Perform it because it is right; it is dharma.
― Shelley Schanfield, The Tigress and the Yogi

As some of you may be aware, I regularly participate in @Dr.Goomonkey custom contests, and did so again this January. However, it is not my design from that contest that I am posting here (it would fit much better in a future Superscape Customs thread). Instead, I am posting the design submitted by @Astral Herring - my Mum - who has decided to use this thread as the depository for her customs as well as mine, to keep them all together (hence the previous presence of Brishon, another of her designs, and the new name of the thread). And what a design it is!

While I struggled to find inspiration for the last contest, ending up just posting a Superscape design for the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl that I'd already designed the year before, my Mum had no such difficulty - the serpent's wings made her think of the
chakras chakras
, and, as such, she quickly had the idea of turning the figure into a chakra serpent, who could choose which chakra to activate at any given time and manifest the powers associated with said chakra. After a short brainstorming session (a few of the chakras were harder to come up with Heroscape representations for than others, particularly the sacral chakra), she had a card she was happy with - Mhadra (a name my Mum came up with as an anagram of
dharma dharma
).

After initially estimating Mhadra's cost at 180, we soon realised that we'd overshot her slightly - though she has incredible versatility, she can only really be good at one thing at a time, and she does have a few notable weaknesses despite that versatility (most glaringly a lack of any form of multi-attack). Not all chakras are equally powerful, but achieving that and keeping them fitting to the chakra they represent would have been impossible, and, honestly, they don't need to be - they all have their uses and will be made use of when the time is right for them. Equally, you're unlikely to use all seven in a single game, but again, you don't need to - what's important is that the option is there. At the same time, if you stick to one chakra all game, you're wasting her value - you need to make use of her versatility and switch between them at the correct times for her to be worth her keep. She's an immensely strategic figure who requires a large amount of tactical thought to make use of, which I love - choosing when and how to employ the various chakras is immensely strategic, and that dynamic has caused her to rapidly climb to become one of my favourite units in the game.

Personally, I've found the most useful chakra to be the Heart Chakra - if you can use range, Special Attacks or auto-wounding powers to avoid your own attacks being weakened by it and send Mhadra out to blunt your enemy's attack power, she can really make her presence felt. It's arguably the chakra that requires the most thought to use while also providing the greatest benefit if you use it well, another thing I love - Mhadra absolutely rewards intelligent and strategic play. Honourable mentions also go to the Solar Plexus and Sacral Chakras.

Without further ado, here's the card! (And also the bio, which was also written by my Mum, and which she did an great job with.)

Card by @mac122

Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:27 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: Lazy Orang & Family's Classic Customs - A Prophecy Fulfi

Do the Chu-Ko come painted?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards