Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old May 14th, 2022, 02:00 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Tournament Map Feedback Thread

I just put 4th on the level 3 3-hex and so I won. Definitely your fault, GameBear.
Old May 16th, 2022, 02:19 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Before I Forget Again

DARK FULCRUM

Yes! A showdown between Fulcrum fighting on the side of good and its evil twin DARK Fulcrum. A fight for the ages. Good and evil hang in the balance! Oh it's Fulcrum with Shadows. Okay I guess. *disappointment noises*

#DysoleMapReviews

All kidding aside, I don't think I really got a chance to judge this map since most of the fight took place right outside the hill on the right start zone. It was basically a melee vs melee fight and most of it was just me advancing to that spot and then whittling down everyone in that spot. I think changing the line of shadow is probably a good call, but it played almost no impact in my game. Everything else seems fine but only playing on 1/4 of the map, I'm not sure how good of a feel for the map I got.

~Dysole, noting that it did feel a bit static for what was basically a melee v melee match but that feels inevitable
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:34 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I am giving feedback on this week's OHS map, Eyohi.

Eyohi uses an often-attempted but difficult to master terrain set: 2x Dungeon 1x Jungle. I personally think this combo is extremely difficult to make perfect because of the double defensive boosts from Jungle and Shadow. The gold standard board is imo Typhon's Borogroves, which failed the original WoS. Some other solid boards with this set combo are Sirocco, Caldera, and Jabberwock.

Like most of these other boards, this board has a big shadow pool. Unlike the other boards, the shadow pool here is on level 2 instead of 0 of 1. Instead of a stacked pool of shadow and jungle in the middle, jungle shields you on the way out of the startzone on the way to the level 2 shadow pool. It's an interesting angle to fix the problems these boards have had, but I think those boards played a little more dynamically than Eyohi. On those boards, the hills on the sides pull you to the sides, while the shadow up the middle offered a quicker path to traverse the board. Here, you kind of just run up the middle to take the height and the shadow. The level 3 and 4 spaces above the shadow offer an angle to threaten the shadow pool, reminiscent of Stygian Rift, so that's interesting. Intuitively during my game I felt like the middle rock spaces should have been the level 4 instead of the dungeon spaces on the side, but that may just be me.

Ultimately I think I'd need some more games to really have a strong opinion. This board doesn't have any major flaws: doesn't pull strongly in any direction out of the startzone, doesn't have any super threatening Raelin perches. But I guess personally when it comes to such heavily tread ground as 2x Dungeon 1x Jungle, I'm looking for something really special to justify itself over these other solid boards using this set combo.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 12:06 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I appreciate the feedback Vegie!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 22nd, 2022, 12:31 PM

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I'm giving feedback on Ruined City by Leaf_It, this week's OHS map.

I've actually played this map quite a few times. It's a staple at our Peoria tournaments because of limited collections here and I want to preface this review by saying that this is a stunning map for how good it is for the terrain limitations. I don't know if anyone has even tried to make a viable map with 2x Marvel and 1 expansion set. Marvel is actually relatively easy to find nowadays so a map like this really fits well with what some new players own.

I do think it's too small though. I think the smallness is exacerbated by the layout of the map, where the startzones are almost in the middle. Any ranged army can start shooting into the enemy startzone on turn 1. The walls don't really stop that. The smallness of the board is very exploitable, imo. Games on this map are a lot shorter than normal and they tend to revolve around hitting figures in the startzone, and controlling the few hills on the board. Without lots of line of sight blockers games are very fast-paced and sharp, which I think can lead to frustrating play. The glyphs are also really far apart, to the point where the games rarely use the full board, which isn't great for a map this small.

I think using some more castle pillars, to add LoS blockers and just make the map bigger, would help a ton. The alley down the middle is my main concern, I think that shouldn't be a straight shot.

Ultimately I think my suggestions are basically saying I think it's possible to build a WoS viable map out of these sets, but it would likely require an almost completely different map. I'm thinking something between Ruined City and Styx and Stones. But honestly I'd leave Ruined City exactly as it is because it's such a great step forward to chart this space.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 01:27 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I was hoping you (and others, of course!) would stop by this thread about this map!
Old July 7th, 2022, 11:57 PM
This is merely a joke.

Wondering if anybody from the current OHS season has any thoughts after playing on Slalom last round.

Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2022, 01:22 AM
This is merely a joke.

I’d be really interested in any and all map thoughts post-ScapeCon, obviously on my map Wingspan but also some of the other less established maps in the pool: Percolator, Desolation, Blackridge, Odin Wept.
Old July 18th, 2022, 08:47 AM

Wingspan - I like it more now that I've played more games on it. The perch outside the startzone gets a lot of flak, and it does define melee vs. range matchup, but there's a Fulcrum sort of dynamic where the height in the middle threaten that startzone perch well. And the middle height is much more reachable than Fulcrum's. The shadow up the middle is fun but there's not so much jungle and shadow that it feels overpowering. Probably my favorite of the new maps there.

Blackridge - My least favorite map of the pool. It's very small, and the 1-hex road perches get so much action and are very hard to meaningfully contest. I think Royal Gardens is substantially better with the same sets.

Odin Wept - It's okay, but range can create a nasty pod outside their startzone with two figures placed on either side of the big 3-hex glacier. Directly outside the startzone on that big level 2 flat area is by far the safest place on the map. It played unique to anything else in the pool, felt like you were fighting against the lava, so that's fun. I don't think it's terrible but I'm not sure it does anything special enough.

Percolator - Didn't play a ton of games on it. It's a hill map so I think it leads to more snowbally games if you win the hill and roll downwards, but the top of the hill has fun gameplay. I think it would be better if the water in the middle were removed to open up more paths.
Old July 18th, 2022, 10:49 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Similar comments as Vegie^

Wingspan - Really like it overall...but that 2-hex felt like the obvious choice to setup shop. That said, shadow jungle center and higher height in the middle does help with that. Most of my games felt fine on this map.

Blackridge - small and pulls VERY left. I almost never developed right as the space and natural position felt harder to reinforce and setup on that side. Wasn't too crazy about this one...and yes that 1-hex road on multiple occasions just won games with a Kaemon Awa or whoever setting up shop there.

Odin Wept - having played on this map over the weekend A LOT, I have a really good sense of how it plays. I won most of my games on it, but the games weren't very enjoyable. The map lends itself to EXTREME podding for range setting up on that flat zone behind the glacier and controlling the right side glyph. For Melee mathups, lava was BRUTAL, and the snow hex in the center next to the center glacier was a very obvious raelin perch. But you could also just leave her in the SZ and cover most of what you wanted to do for your pod. If you wanted to avoid the central lava, the sides were also a nightmare to develop as there were very few ways to develop your army to route the opponent without taking only ever taking low ground the whole way and the ups and downs on the side made for very difficult movement. some of my melee games consisted of each side setting up on each side of the lava and just kinda waiting it out a bit until the new round to try and jump up and assault the other side...but if you did...it was so easy to just lock your opponent on lava while you had the Shadow. One of my matchups against NecroBlade was just me sitting knights on the Shadow while he tried to punch through with Romans while sitting on lava. He couldn't do it and so burned at the end of the round. Just overall, a tough map where you felt like you were fighting the map as much as your opponent which made for games where me and my opponent were both not having a great time.

Percolator - Pulls very left for melee in order to utilize all the jungle for development. I didn't develop to the right very much on this map...even with the ruin, as the ruin just kinda got in the way moreso than helping the advance. Lateral movement is tough on this one and I agree removing 1 or both central water hexes would do a lot for helping with that.

Desolation - Felt a little big, but not by much. I liked it more than I thought I would, and my games were pretty “normal” ie nothing glaring stood out. The only thing I really didn’t like was the weird swamp water that splits the start zone.

Aeon - Having played on it ALOT as well this weekend, it solidified for me how awesome this map really is. Never a bad game on it and I always felt like the map was “on my side” when it came to strategic moves ie even if my opponent had better position, I felt like I could still make it a fair fight by utilizing other map features.

Bad Moon Rising - Never been super crazy about this map, but it was fine. It’s one of the OGs and so far has stood the test of time.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; July 18th, 2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old July 18th, 2022, 04:47 PM
This is merely a joke.

Desolation?
Old July 18th, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Desolation?
Added with other map commentary as well.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios