Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old September 18th, 2007, 12:27 AM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
for those who need a little extra help being nice ;

Quote:
Hello, insert_name_here! I'm glad that you came here for your Heroscape Question Needs!

The answer to your question is yes/no/other, as illustrated in the following;

Quote:
insert_card/rulebook_quote
While the crew here at Heroscapers encourages new players and their questions, we would appreciate it a ton if you would take the time to fully read the rule book/cards. Many questions can be resolved through this easy and enjoyable exercise! But, if they can't, we are more than happy to field your questions!

Thank you, and Have a Super-Splendid Day!

~insert_name_here, stealing Aldin's thing. :P

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:33 AM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Hear hear!

Old September 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Yes exactly Thanks Newb. Perhaps you rdhight could brush up a bit on what we already have available here. Like I said, if you can't answer the persons question with a kind and respectful response, whether you think it is a stupid one or not, then simply do not respond to it.
Yeah, thanks for that. I did read the greeting when I first showed up here. If you yourself would brush up on this very thread, you'll see I mentioned it a couple posts back as a good place to put some of the basic answers or a link to them. Apparently, though, not many newcomers are doing the same, are they?
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Quote:
Yes exactly Thanks Newb. Perhaps you rdhight could brush up a bit on what we already have available here. Like I said, if you can't answer the persons question with a kind and respectful response, whether you think it is a stupid one or not, then simply do not respond to it.
Yeah, thanks for that. I did read the greeting when I first showed up here. If you yourself would brush up on this very thread, you'll see I mentioned it a couple posts back as a good place to put some of the basic answers or a link to them. Apparently, though, not many newcomers are doing the same, are they?
I really can't believe you are arguing for your right to be a jerk to newbies. Let me make this as simple as I can for you and break it down into the shortest and easiest way for you to remember how to act around here:

Be nice or do not post!

Now is that clear enough?

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Yes, yes, and yes. There are few things that **** me off more than a response that doesn't answer the question. If you have the time to post, you have the time to answer. If you can't answer with the information given, prompt for more, or leave the conversation.

If someone is being an ding bat, send a note with a link to an admin so we can step in. That's the super fun part of our volunteer job here.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
... (And, "yes," if the person has 200 posts in three days and is asking, "What are teh blew diz 4?" you can make fun of him or her all you want to.)
Okay, I'm good then.

I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. I must be nice to remedial intelligence noobies. Don't scare the noobies. Don't make fun of the noobies. ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
I really can't believe you are arguing for your right to be a jerk to newbies. Let me make this as simple as I can for you and break it down into the shortest and easiest way for you to remember how to act around here:

Be nice or do not post!

Now is that clear enough?
I'm not arguing for my right to be a jerk to newbies, because there is no argument to be made. This forum is private property, and if those with the power of the ban say that I don't have the right to be a jerk to newbies, or to use the letter E for that matter, then I don't have that right. I realize that. Go back and read what I actually wrote. Maybe you'll find it a little more believable. I said I don't come here to take part in flaming, and that still stands. I said I'm willing to work on a basic faq if that would help, and that still stands.

What irks me is that you're directing all your admin/mod emphasis!!! at the rude responses and leaving the original posters alone. I don't have the right to reprimand them, but you do! You told me to "brush up a bit on what we already have available here." Where was that scolding when someone who was actually ignorant needed to hear it? Why don't you "break it down into the shortest and easiest way for you to remember how to act around here" when an obvious question comes up?
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:25 AM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Repeat questions are already scolded, we are asking that there be an answer and direction and not just. "Don't you read the f'in rules N00B" pile on.

At various times there have been all the things people mention. They don't help with the repeat questions. People would rather ask than research. It is fairly normal. It keeps happening because we keep getting new people who have to ask at least a couple silly questions before they get the way the forum works. Then they stop asking, but there are new ones to take their place.

There is this 1ONE1 sticky that asks people to be nice. There are MULTIPLE stickies in every forum that explain how to use the forum and sub-forums. We are far from directing all the mod emphasis on the rude posters. It is high time that people are reminded that we are all supposed to help people enjoy our passionate hobby, not drive them off with rudeness like a bunch of snobs in a GamesWorkshop store (personal bad experience)
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:26 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
I completely agree with answering good questions with answers and links to the correct threads. Even a gentle nudge torwards, "hey there are lots of these things posted so have a look around, if you have any questions PM me and I will try to help" is not that bad I don't think.

But here is my question...you knew it was coming :P If the guy asks what isyour favorite flavor of Ice Cream...Vanila, Strawbarry, or Chokolate

and then adds a big poll to boot...can I razz him :P ..........please Just a little
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
Maybe you don't bring the snark that way, but others do. Incidentally, you may want to read the words you're choosing. "Victim?" "Hit?" What are we, Heroscape enforcers? Anyway, I fully believe in educating people about the benefits of reading their rules and looking up FAQs. I just don't think a signal of disapproval is necessary to do so. Then again, maybe I haven't dealt with enough people who are consistently and willfully ignorant. If you have, my sympathies.
To my mind, snark is something you would "hit" a "victim" with, sure. I don't see the mistake. Maybe what you mean by snarkiness isn't what I thought of.

Quote:
It's simple guys!!! Not hard at all!! Be nice! Be helpful! Or just simply don't post in response to the poor unsuspecting noobs! You can be firm AND helpful!! I know this for a fact. I don't want to see any of you "reprimanding" a person for asking a question YOU might think is dumb. There's just no call for it.
Reading a card or manual is simple, too. Why are you putting all the pressure on the one who answers the question and none on the one who asks it? If I ask a question that's covered in the manual, and you give a rude reply, we're both wrong. If you're going to stickify your complaint about bad replies, how about some kind of RTFC sticky to combat these stupid questions?
You mean something like this:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=6970

Newb.
Just wondering, is that PMed to all new accounts that are created? Not that it would really help when people aren't even reading manuals...
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Maybe, but like I said, this thread is not about how to fix the newbies. It's about how to treat them. Just a simple (for some) reminder that we should welcome new members and help them without being rude.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Aranas has disabled reputation
Quote:
....2. When someone posts a question answered in it, we can make sure to not answer the question right there, but link to the FAQ, so they've got to read it....
I think this is a good way to handle it. Give them a short answer and a link to the answer, the page of the rule book, the faq, an already existing thread with the answer in it, etc.

Most members will be pleased to be directed to the answer. If they still do not understand, their next question will be more to the point.

I also like the idea of Dictatorbilbo (I added the part about FAQ) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorbilbo
for those who need a little extra help being nice ;

Quote:
Hello, insert_name_here! I'm glad that you came here for your Heroscape Question Needs!

The answer to your question is yes/no/other, as illustrated in the following;

Quote:
insert_card/rulebook_quote
While the crew here at Heroscapers encourages new players and their questions, we would appreciate it a ton if you would take the time to fully read the rule book/cards and the official FAQ. Many questions can be resolved through this easy and enjoyable exercise! But, if they can't, we are more than happy to field your questions!

Thank you, and Have a Super-Splendid Day!

~insert_name_here, stealing Aldin's thing. :P
And last but not least, we can each add an answer to a MCMM to our sig. (MCMM: Most Commonly Made Mistakes)

Aranas

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's