Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old March 30th, 2014, 05:17 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Robotized Humanity?

"Mankind is asleep, and struggling to awaken."
--George Gurdjieff, early 20th Century

When your cell phone rings, do you...

A) Ignore it--if its not a text message, its just your parents, so who cares?

B) Answer it immediately, even if you're driving or walking in traffic?

C) See who's calling, so you can get back to them later?

D) Don't hear it, because since you're home, you only answer your land line, and the cell is in a drawer somewhere awaiting your next long trip away from the house; it probably isn't charged anyhow.

E) I don't own a cell phone.

Your answer probably depends on your age. But its symptomatic of the increasing fusing of personal space with technology, which is slowly either providing wonderful new possibilities, or destroying your brain so I will soon be able to take over the world, as the last person whose brain isn't being destroyed by proximate cell phone radiation.

Meanwhile our attention spans are being fragmented by the internet. I have one pal who won't read all of a post I send, which is perhaps three short paragraphs long. Since he only reads the first two sentences, he then emails me back with questions that were already covered in the parts he didn't bother reading. When did I become an insurance salesman in his mind?

My grandparents lived from about 1890 to 1970. Their generation saw more technological change in one generation than in the entire history of mankind! Letter writing is now a thing of the past. I can remember when it was an art, and going to the mailbox was fun. Now all I get is bills and ads; and more than I've ever had to screen before--hey, they all say on their mysterious envelopes (with no return address) that they are IMPORTANT AND TIME SENSITIVE MATERIAL so you can't throw them out right away! I was going through a huge pile of mail once that was a year old; it all had to be screened some day, but clearly wasn't top priority. That's how I found out that I was eligible for an early retirement pension! No joke. When I asked in Personnel if I was eligible, the man said no--so I whipped out the letter and said "How about this?" The guy went to see his supervisor about it, and I retired that year at age 55.

Did you ever watch a bird or a squirrel? They sometimes suddenly stop to look around, moving their heads around in jerky motions, as if their brains can barely process sensory input second by second. It reminds me of people trying to listen and talk only in sound bits, being overwhelmed by too much information. Are you still reading this?

Are we headed for chip implanting and the totally slavery of The Matrix? The major science fiction theme of 'Will The Robots Revolt?' has been replaced in recent years by "Are We Becoming Robots Ourselves?"

Well, are we? I don't' know. I'd better go look it up on wikipedia! Or you could tell me what you think...

Last edited by chas; March 30th, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Robotized Humanity?

F) Look at it, if it's someone you want to talk to, answer.

Won't read a post that's three short paragraphs? Seriously? My God, I really don't want to look as though I'm insulting your friend, but that just seems a little... pathetic to me.

I think you're right that there's a danger of people turning into robots (and (conspiracy theorist time!) an even greater danger of a Big Brother state where everything you do and everywhere you go is tracked through your tech, emails, 'phone calls and social media - just look it up, it's a large part of the reason why I'm never getting an iPhone). I'm pretty insulated from this myself, and that is probably partly because I don't use the whole social media idea - no joke, I'm 15, this is the only forum I'm a part of, I'm not a member of Facebook or Twitter, and I only got a mobile - an ordinary, basic, mobile 'phone - a couple of weeks ago. I'm generally an old fashioned type of person, who'd rather be reading or going out than looking on things like Facebook or Twitter. The internet is vital in this day and age because it is such a useful source of information (which is why it's vital we avoid Government censoring of the internet), but there is a danger of people becoming social zombies. Fortunately, because of the choices I've made for myself growing up and the way I've been raised, I won't be one. I hope it cheers you to hear a 15 year old saying this, chas - I know I'm rare for my generation on this level.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'm E.

I used to own one instead of a landline, but kept it switched off. I now live somewhere without cell reception.

On the bigger question, I'm rooting for both sides simultaneously. On the one hand, a back-to-the-land, hippy-dippy, ecologically sound, post-oil future. On the other, AI (whether human-led or computer-led, I'm not fussy), the singularity and humanity replaced by the next stage of intelligent life, whatever that turns out to be (I'm hoping for space-faring robots).
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:05 AM

betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby!

I'm B)ish. I'll usually pull out of traffic to answer the phone, if I'm in heavier traffic. I live in a rural area and usually there's not even another vehicle on my way into town. I rarely text. And then CERTAINLY not while driving.

I do have social media, but only to keep in easier contact with distant friends.

I would then agree with Ollie, the singularity sounds exciting, but I'd rather not lose my humanity from a mental standpoint along the way.

I only turned 18 a little over a month ago, and I didn't start (social networking?) until I was 13 or 14. Didn't have a mobile til' then either. Not a smart phone, but I like it that way. I have big thumbs and touch screens confuse me at times. I didn't get an Ipod until shortly before my 18th birthday.
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:06 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

B!

I answer no matter what. I have a Bluetooth headset so it's not really putting me in danger when I drive or walk or anything. I do quite a bit of driving for work, so I try to be smart about it. I also have a little phone clip sort of thing that hooks my phone up near my dash so I can see it for when I need gps (or anything phone related, really) while I'm driving.

I also don't use most social media. Scapers and YouTube probably covers it. My wife is a different animal, she's on Facebook, Etsie(sp?) Pinterest, and probably a few others I can't remember right now. In fact, the women in her side of the family have been thinking about starting a blog!
Old March 30th, 2014, 10:22 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Lazy Orang: You've put a smile on the face of this 62 year old!

Ollie: According to the latest science shows, by the time we get outside the solar system, it won't be just robots but the genetically engineered human (oids?) we have become!

Betawolf36 and brandonwiker: I don't do social media either, or even music storage.

I'm rooting for the ideal medium too: more technology but keeping our humanity. But the change has been astounding just in my lifetime. In the old days here in New York City you knew that if a person was mumbling or shouting to themselves behind you, you'd better take a look because they are nuts. Now, everyone does it, because they are mumbling or shouting into their cells. (Better keep an eye on them anyway, since they often don't notice anyone else when they walk down crowded streets at and around you).

Last edited by chas; March 30th, 2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I'm rooting for the ideal medium too: more technology but keeping our humanity.
This.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

B) Answer it immediately, even if you're driving or walking in traffic

And

C) See who's calling, so you can get back to them later

I have an iPhone (got it free actually), so I can set different ringtones and vibration tones for different people. If I feel that person is important and is actually calling, I'll pick up the phone (or have the person sitting beside me do so). I'd rather find out someone was in the hospital or another emergency was happening that needed immediate attention, right away than wait until I got home (or at a resteraunt or whatever). That being said, I think a lot of the time people are idiots. Especially when they walk into poles as they are texting (or using their bluetooth). You can stand against one yknow. Plus, I wouldn't be able to post here without my phone

Social media wise, I'm a Facebook regular. I generally spend much of my time chatting to folks or laughing at funny pictures. I have used Youtube to look up songs (and I'm a member so I can listen to music without censoring the words. I used to be a huge chatroom junkie too. It pretty much started when I was working until the middle of the night at Wendy's and came home to nobody being awake. Bada bing bada boom.

I don't really have an opinion about where the human race is headed. Really, I just do things because I want to. I don't have kids, so the only person I'm responsible for is making funny faces at me in the mirror.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:08 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Totally depends --

B) Only if it's my crush or my parents. (Parents will kill me if I don't answer)

C) But I will try to get back as soon as possible. (Usual with a text)

I don't think the electronics are running our lives, it's more of the constant hunger for socialization that is running our lives.

~JS, crush ranks #1 on my list
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:17 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

E (as I don't have a cell). I do have Ipod, and I kinda have to answer it when I get messages on it, as the Final Fantasy 7 victory theme blares kinda loudly when I leave the volume on. Personally, while I dislike the idea of learning A.I (maybe I've watched The Matrix and Terminator or played Portal too much), I would really like to have something like Google glasses as a chip implanted in me. That way, I can watch do geeky stuff, without bothering my non-geeky friends and relatives (after it has been tested rigorously of course).

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:07 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Meanwhile our attention spans are being fragmented by the internet. I have one pal who won't read all of a post I send, which is perhaps three short paragraphs long.
That's something I just don't get about people... When did they lose their patience and indiscriminately skip things?

TL;DR
People suck.

Oh, and I'll answer if a) I'm able and not busy, otherwise get back to them or b) if I'm expecting an important call.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Last edited by Jim; March 31st, 2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: While my TL;DR is a joke, I've actually seen people give a TL;DR for two sentences. *shudder*
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:46 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Option Z) Has a track phone and rarely answers even if its someone important because I don't want to pay more minutes.

I treat my phone as a just a tool to use if I'm not at home and absolutely have to contact someone. I also don't think the mind enslaving governments or robots are going to come anytime soon, but then again isn't that what they want us to think?

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General