Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Fuel Prices feel a little like prison love!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Well now that regular unleaded is $4.35/gal by me, I thought it was fair to dig this thread up from last year and biatch about it.

"Giving finger to anyone involved with bending us over the barrel in gas prices. And I'll add for good measure."

There I've biatched.!
They are talking $5 by the end of the month. Hows that for some hope and change?

To think that supposedly this is all due to the situation in Libya.

Fat stinkin' dirty lying rats!
Yeah, well they can blame Libya all they want, but when oil companies are making like $10 Billion in profits in a quarter, that's just greed.

I believe in karma, so I hope anyone having to do with high fuel prices gets a big taste of karma right where it hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
It is costing me 20.00 a week to just mow my lawn, ...........
At that rate buying some perimeter fencing and a goat seems to be a cheeper option.

Well I have three dogs. So all I have to do is teach them to pee in more places and I won't even have to mow the back yard for all the dead grass.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Some perspective

(Incidentally, am I imagining the correlation between posters who decry oil companies' profits and those who protest regulation and/or taxes of any kind for corporations?)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Some perspective

(Incidentally, am I imagining the correlation between posters who decry oil companies' profits and those who protest regulation and/or taxes of any kind for corporations?)
Sure, I guess we got too fat and got used to getting fuel cheap and want multiples of everything (tv's, cars, Heroscape Master sets). I think in the recession most of us have cut back and have gotten to learn to live differently and that it will likely carry forward even in better times. Heck, people are actually starting to try to save money where before they spent more than they had. That said, a concern of mine is that the cost of fuel going up has a pretty big ripple effect. People spending $100-$200 more every month on gas will help the oil companies, but will hurt all the other businesses that would have benefited from that $100-$200/month that people could spend. If people aren't buying things, companies close or lay off. Then you have more people out of work trying to pound the pavement for work at record costs in gas. Companies will be in a sellers market so to speak and can pay less for help since there are so many people looking for work.

And I certainly don't protest regulation/taxes for corporations.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
It is costing me 20.00 a week to just mow my lawn, ...........
At that rate buying some perimeter fencing and a goat seems to be a cheeper option.
We have actually done this in our back yard, and it gets a more even cut than our mower did anyway.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

You know- I filled up the other day and thought of bringing this post back. I thought, "Man, these oil companies are really taking me to browntown. Wait- there's a thread about that!"

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Some perspective

Sorry, but it's a little tough to want to read an article that is from the Post Carbon Institute and take it as unbiased or anything other than propaganda.

Corporation tax? There's plenty of corporation tax as it is. How about fixing the loopholes so that they are actually being paid? Nah, it's easier to just say raise the tax instead of fixing the broken tax system, right?

Where is the outcry like when Bush was in office? Why isn't it said that Obama and "Big Oil" are bed partners?

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Probably has to do with the fact that Obama has called for windfall taxes and the like plus the removal of oil subsidies while Bush wanted less taxes and less regulations and to keep the oil subsidies.

Just a guess though.

I do agree with eliminating tax loopholes and eliminating oil subsidies however.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Corporation tax? There's plenty of corporation tax as it is. How about fixing the loopholes so that they are actually being paid? Nah, it's easier to just say raise the tax instead of fixing the broken tax system, right?

Where is the outcry like when Bush was in office? Why isn't it said that Obama and "Big Oil" are bed partners?
Whatever. Take more taxes from the rich/powerful/evil. Give that money to the poor/needy/nice. I don't care whether you call it raising taxes or fixing loopholes.

That said, this article makes some good points about why singling the oil companies out for added taxation and/or reduced subsidisation may not be the best approach. The conclusion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rapier
But there is a way that every individual can stop feeding ExxonMobil’s enormous profits. Stop buying their product. The reason they are so profitable is simply that the public keeps buying their product even as the price has doubled over the past few years. I understand that we are all dependent to one extent or another on oil, but most people use more of that product than we need to. Because of changes I have made in my own life, even though Big Oil is making record profits, they are profiting less from me than they were a decade ago. That is because of personal choices I made that you can make too. You can become more fuel efficient. You can use your car for fewer trips. You can carpool and use public transportation. Those things will have a real impact in reducing your contribution to Big Oil’s profits.

But that would require that we make some actual changes, and our collective laziness is too great for that. We want to keep consuming as we always have, while sticking it to the companies that make that consumption possible. But if you won’t make any changes in your life, then you can expect to continue transferring an ever increasing portion of your budget to Big Oil’s coffers. We might be able to drive the domestic oil companies out of business — which by the way support an estimated 9.2 million jobs — but you are still going to pay more (to Saudi Arabia and Venezuela) unless you use less. Of course your other option is to buy ExxonMobil stock. If you can’t help but feed your money to the beast, you could at least invest in them and get some of that money back as their stock value appreciates.

(Yes, yes, I know that "rich", "powerful" and "evil" are not synonymous, but the general point that taxes should be targeted at things that are bad for society (massive wealth disparity and fossil fuel burning in this case) and used to improve society (healthcare, unemployment benefits, fluffy bunny rabbits for all,...) stands.)
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

Lets make big oil responsible for FUNDING road repair.

They want us to all drive cars and use the roads, then they should maintain the friggen thing, you can bet they will invest more in researching better road materials to save money.
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
Lets make big oil responsible for FUNDING road repair.

They want us to all drive cars and use the roads, then they should maintain the friggen thing, you can bet they will invest more in researching better road materials to save money.

I also like candy companies to fund my dentist bill and maybe Sony, Samsung and Microsoft could all pinch in on my electric bill. I mean, they expect me to use their items don't they?
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

This makes going to out of state tourneys more expensive.

Solution: carpool.

However, I'm more worried about what this does to the cost of shipping everything around in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Apparently, sales of compact cars have increased with increasing fuel prices. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...29682620110503

While increasing prices are tough on people, it is good to reduce oil imports.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General