Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old October 1st, 2018, 05:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I was actually just about to retract my submission of M.A.R.S. and make some minor tweaks to appease concerns, when I refreshed the page and saw even more comments.

OEAO's analysis lines up very well with what I have experienced so far. I'd put him at B+, and worst-case scenario is that he is a weaker A-. Kaemon Awa and Q10 are both stronger options due to having more defensive potential (whether Countstrike or an extra life), more move to gain better board control, and a more consistently useful Special Attack.

M.A.R.S. does have the potential to affect more figures, but he is rarely able to target more than 3 or 4. Even then, you are getting one attack of 3 against all of these figures, whereas Kaemon/Q10 get two attacks of 4, which will produce a much more consistent and reliable result. He also cannot target the same figure more than once per turn, unlike his two closest comparisons, giving him much less utility.

If the judges still feel that M.A.R.S. is too powerful for his points, then I will take him back and make some nerfs so that he is no longer performs as a B+ figure, but I stand by my assertion that he is surprisingly balanced already.
Aiming for A- will likely fail a unit. B average is your best bet, I for one will fight power creep tooth and nail especially when a unit is trying to enter an existing units biological niche. If Mars was 140 points it might of eeked by. without a ranged normal attack or a attack of 2 at range 8 or 3 at range 6 would might have worked. Two explosions at 2 attack would likely work too.

Look at uzogs history here, was uzogs to good at 90 pt? maybe but he did outclass other units and set a standard that sov was not willing to cross

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 1st, 2018, 05:54 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Sniping From The Side

Personally, I'm exactly with OEAO as far as power level. I was actually surprised by people thinking it was potentially OP (although overshadowing 9k is a different question). I think the complaint that the unit could have more strategic depth or the chassis issues resonate stronger with me than the complaints about power level.

~Dysole, who remembers having to convince people her soulborg idea wasn't broken with rats
Old October 1st, 2018, 05:58 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think I've been convinced that M.A.R.S. would be worth testing at 125. But I do think that the ability to attack figures 12 spaces apart (6 spaces in either direction) breaks with the theme of locked-on targets.

So for that reason, I vote , with hopes of seeing him later.

Last edited by superfrog; October 1st, 2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: and I wouldn't fail an A- unit. The thing is, if you "miss" your target at B+, you're ok. If you miss at A-, that's no bueno.
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:00 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Aiming for A- will likely fail a unit. B average is your best bet, I for one will fight power creep tooth and nail especially when a unit is trying to enter an existing units biological niche. If Mars was 140 points it might of eeked by. without a ranged normal attack or a attack of 2 at range 8 or 3 at range 6 would might have worked. Two explosions at 2 attack would likely work too.
Just for clarification, I was not aiming for A- and would not personally rank M.A.R.S. there. I just acknowledge that he is a good unit with the potential to either shine or fall flat on his face. I think B+ is fair, but I am willing to take him back and nerf him further if the judges are uncomfortable with testing him as is.
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:43 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
I've already had Necro "BS" one of my posts, Didn't see me getting all bent out of shape...
I'm glad you didn't, because I was just short-handing a disagreement with thematic assessment. We've got robots, ninjas, aliens, ghosts, knights, and angels fighting each other, I don't really have a problem with independent missile pods. I do agree to some extent that hitting figures 12 spaces away from each other is a bit strange, but even to that I'd counter that it's also insanely unlikely. Outside of very unusual maps and setups, I really don't see it happening that there are enemies that far away, in completely opposite directions, within line of sight. However, I would think "choose up to two figures within 2 spaces of each other; those figures and all adjacent figures are affected" would be a solid thematic nerf. If the targeted figures are 2 spaces apart, that creates some overlap in spaces affected by the explosion(s), cutting down on the high end of numbers of figures affected.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 1st, 2018, 07:38 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

It doesn't seem terribly unlikely on, say, Common Ground.
Old October 1st, 2018, 09:18 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

FWIW, I haven't read a single argument about MARS that persuaded me in any way against my initial vote. It's particularly interesting since I am one of the pickiest SoV judges to ever have the role.

MARS looks like a fun, interesting unit with nice theme and blessedly *simple*. I've seen so many bells and whistles on other brainstorms for this mini that I find this one very very refreshing. Maybe I would find him too strong or find some other nitpick and vote no (I am very picky) but that is for a later stage. I hope you bring him back, and without too many changes. Drop the periods though; MARS is just fine.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 1st, 2018, 10:12 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for the support, @capsocrates ! I'm definitely going to bring him back. I've been thinking about Dad_Scaper's suggestions a lot recently, and I'm trying to decide between three different approaches for solving M.A.R.S.' issues. I'm going to put up a new version of him in my personal thread as soon as I decide which one I like the most, see how people feel about it, and then run some more tests on him to be even more sure that he doesn't break the game before bringing him back.

The main reason that I added the periods was to distinguish the acronym in the title of the card, but your suggestion for dropping them is also noted. I'll see how it looks without them.

I'm definitely interested in more discussion about the prospect of attacking units up to 12 spaces away and how it might break the theme, but that potentially falls into workshopping territory, so that issue would better be left for my own thread.

Also thanks to everyone else who chimed in on him! I appreciate the time that everyone took to share their feedback on him, and even if I don't agree with all of it, I promise that I've given some thought to everything that I've read here. I'm hoping to have him back before too long.
Old October 1st, 2018, 10:17 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

M.A.R.S. has been removed at the submitter's request.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 06:12 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Drop the periods though; MARS is just fine.
I'm going to butt in here and say I strongly disagree there - since unit names are listed in all caps in Heroscape, without the periods there would be nothing to indicate that it's an acronym, which kind of defeats the purpose and makes it less clear as a 'robotic' name.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 2nd, 2018, 09:04 AM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
I'm going to butt in here and say I strongly disagree there - since unit names are listed in all caps in Heroscape, without the periods there would be nothing to indicate that it's an acronym, which kind of defeats the purpose and makes it less clear as a 'robotic' name.
I like the M.A.R.S. format.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 01:41 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
I like the M.A.R.S. format.
As do I. I don't think it's necessary to reach the more subtle issue, but I believe that LO is right for the right reason, as well.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs