Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old September 28th, 2017, 04:53 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Japanese Anime Updates

NARUTO

Still another guilty pleasure for this old guy is yet another adventure of a 15 year old, and one of the most popular anime, Naruto. Technically his time is over now, and the adventures of his son are coming out, but there's plenty more for me to watch as it posts one episode a week of Shippuden, the final and never ending Naruto series. This is after having watched a very long original series and several movies.

I'm up to Episode 174 of Shippuden, being broadcast on cable's Adult Swim one episode per week. Starting to wonder if there was an end in sight, I checked on wikipedia, to learn that the show doesn't end until Episode 500. Yikes!

Last edited by chas; September 28th, 2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old September 28th, 2017, 06:34 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
NARUTO

Still another guilty pleasure for this old guy is yet another adventure of a 15 year old, and one of the most popular anime, Naruto. Technically his time is over now, and the adventures of his son are coming out, but there's plenty more for me to watch as it posts one episode a week of Shippuden, the final and never ending Naruto series. This is after having watched a very long original series and several movies.

I'm up to Episode 174 of Shippuden, being broadcast on cable's Adult Swim one episode per week. Starting to wonder if there was an end in sight, I checked on wikipedia, to learn that the show doesn't end until Episode 500. Yikes!
Don't feel too guilty. This old guy loves Naruto. It is one of my favorites. I too watched the original series and many episodes of Shippuden. I made it up to episode 347 when I caught up to the series. That was a year or two ago, when I got out of the habit of watching it. I have been meaning to get back to it ever since.

It is great to know how many episodes there are in total. 500? Yikes is a good response to that. There is much that I have forgotten but I don't think that I'll be rewatching 347 episodes. It is also good to know that it plays on Adult Swim, as the site that I used to watch it on is no longer up. I'll have to look it up and set the DVR.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; September 28th, 2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old September 28th, 2017, 07:21 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I actually was moved to check out the plot ending because a) I might not be around to see the ending unless they do broadcast the whole thing, and b) without revealing a spoiler, an important development took place in Naruto's personal life in a recent episode I saw that now I know is concluded nicely in that last episode! PM me if you want to know what it is, and don't mind a major reveal about his personal life. I know may people have already seen the whole series, unless this is its first broadcast, which I doubt, but I still don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet like us.

Last edited by chas; November 3rd, 2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

No My Hero Academia hype in here? Easily tied for first place for the best anime I've watched. The last episode of season 2 airs Saturday and I can barely contain my waiting.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:06 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I actually was moved to check out the plot ending because a) I might not be around to see the ending unless they do broadcast the whole thing, and b) without revealing a spoiler, an important development took place in Naruto's personal life in a recent episode i saw that now I know is concluded nicely in that last episode! PM me if you want to know what it is, and don't mind a major reveal about his personal life. I know may people have already seen the whole series, unless this is its first broadcast, which I doubt, but I still don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet like us.
Now I must know. PM sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
No My Hero Academia hype in here? Easily tied for first place for the best anime I've watched. The last episode of season 2 airs Saturday and I can barely contain my waiting.
I am unfamiliar with that one but I will be looking it up.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Keglo,

PM answer returned.

As I mentioned to him in addition to the spoiler, I love the character relationships much more than all the fighting. For example, I love how his much older mentor Jiraya has to pull his former woman teammate out of a drunken funk in a gambling den so she can clean herself up to become the new leader (hokage) of the Hidden Leaf Village!
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Keglo,

PM answer returned.

As I mentioned to him in addition to the spoiler, I love the character relationships much more than all the fighting. For example, I love how his much older mentor Jiraya has to pull his former woman teammate out of a drunken funk in a gambling den so she can clean herself up to become the new leader (hokage) of the Hidden Leaf Village!
Thanks chas!

You know, it's funny. I started watching Naruto with my grandkids thinking that they might like it because it was a popular anime. The kids only made it through a few episodes before they lost interest. It hooked me pretty much from the beginning.

Old September 28th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I am unfamiliar with that one but I will be looking it up.
It's an awesome show set in a future where 4 in 5 people have some kind of superpower - and the protagonist is one of the 1 in 5 who is born powerless. Great superhero stuff, great action, great themes and warm fuzzies, some of the most fun characters I've seen. Not many shows have moved me to tears, but I'm not even ashamed to admit that this one has gotten me all sorts of choked up.

If you like Naruto, you'll probably like MHA. I haven't seen much of Naruto, but they do have similar themes and stuff (typical of the genre). And MHA is quickly moving to replace Naruto now that it's ended. Bonus is that it's only two seasons in (thirty-something episodes), so it's not hard to catch up compared to Naruto's 500 episodes (or One Piece's 800+!). You can find it on Hulu or Crunchyroll, if you have either.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; September 28th, 2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Man, with how much I try to get people to watch this show, its creators should start paying me ad fees...
Old November 1st, 2018, 06:01 PM

CHINESE ANIME UPDATES!

I've just discovered that there is now tons of Chinese anime on youtube. I just finished watching two very long series, originally on their TV, done over the last several years, which are related and by the same director and company. Both are absolutely amazing stories about the China of 2,000 years ago. These are mainland productions, although at least one is based on a Taiwanese novel series:

Qin's Moon: (139 20 minute episodes) 5 seasons (7 were planned) Refugees and exiles from the First Emperor's subjugation of six other kingdoms unite to resist him and the new Qin (Chin) Empire circa 221 BCE. There is history, fantasy, culture, romance, and action in many varied and intricate locations! This was China's first 3D computer animated action series. I was totally astounded at the beauty of the visuals--and I usually much prefer drawn animation! The series does not end with a final conclusion, although it has not yet been continued as planned. (There are also three 'Special Episodes' with different story lines set in the same time line and a movie! I enjoyed the three episode one; the movie doesn't seem to be available on youtube.) Instead we now have...

Nine Songs of the Moving Heavens: (60 20 minute episodes, ending "To Be Continued...") This is the newer prequel to the previous series above. I actually watched it first--its set a few years earlier in time, just before Chin conquers the other states, in the state of Han--and then recognized five characters from it in Episode 1 of Qin's Moon. It features even better animation, similar to the last season of the above. I also like the story more, since instead of some child heroes it has all adult characters.

Both of these series have extensive entries on wikipedia, including episode and character summaries!

Do you watch Chinese anime? What are your favorites?

Last edited by chas; November 3rd, 2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:20 AM

ANIME COLLECTION LIST

Here's a list of anime I actually own; I've seen a least ten times as many more via rental and Cable TV, etc. over the years. I started out just after the first period of their availability, when you were lucky to get semi legal versions with subtitles at tiny comic book convention booths, let alone dubbed copies! In almost all cases of long series I own complete ("perfect") collections, some of which can take up half a shelf by themselves. I watched Astro Boy back in the Sixties on local TV, and never turned back!

Astro Boy (Remake)
AKB0048*
Akira
Appleseed
Armitage III
A Wind Named Amnesia

Blue Seed
Blue Submarine
Bubblegum Crisis* (several versions)
Burst Angel

Cowboy Beebop

Demon City Shinjuku
Dominion Tank Police

El Hazard*
Escaflowne*

Fushigi Yugi* (The Mysterious Play)

Ghost In The Shell*
Girls Und Panzer
Grave of the Fireflies

Highlander: The Search For Vengence

Inu Yasha*

Love Hina*
Lum (Those Obnoxious Aliens)* Movies and first few episodes.
Lupin III

Milennium Actress

Neon Genesis Evangelion*
Ninja Scroll

Oh My Goddess*
Outlanders
Outlaw Star

The Phoenix

Ran Ma*
Record of Lodoss War*
Robotech* (Remake)
Roueroni Kenshin*

Shingu*
Spirited Away
Steam Boy

Tenchi Muyo*
The Twelve Kingdoms*
Those Who Hunt Elves

Utawarerumono

Venus Wars
Video Girl Ai

Wicked City

* Particularly large offerings, usually including one or more TV series plus movies, OAVs, etc.

Last edited by chas; November 3rd, 2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 03:11 AM

Initial research on My Hero Academia on wikipedia notes that they are now up to three seasons and a movie. It is available on youtube, so I'll be soon checking it out. Thanks, guys! The author noted that Naruto was indeed his inspiration. (Edit) Turns out its not available there. Although I did see and enjoy the first episode there!

I've also started Boruto, the adventures of Naruto's son. So far I'm not that excited by it, although I do enjoy seeing brief appearances of older versions of a few of the original Naruto characters. Apparently after Lady Tsunade 's run as village elder (hokage) of the Hidden Leaf, first his old team leader Kakashe sensei served and now Naruto himself has the job!

Last edited by chas; November 5th, 2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 08:33 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Is Highlander any good?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies