Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
yesterday, Syvarris ruled the battlefield against a 400pt army all by himself!

He took out Deadeye Dan, then Theracus, then a full squad of Marrden Hounds, and then, for the coup d'etat, went toe-to-toe against Nilfheim and peppered him with arrows, surviving the encounter with one life left.

I had Braxas and Raelin sitting unused in my starting zone for the entire game.

I still wouldn't say that Syvarris is overpowered, but when the dice are rolling well, he can be a force to fear!!

(in our second game, my friend drafted Syv first off to see if he would do just as well for him, but my squad of Krav Maga squashed him in the first turn of round two without taking any losses... Syv, like any figure, is only dangerous if played well, and if your opponent doesn't draft ranged-resistant figs.)
Syv is only overpowered if your opponent isn't playing the KMA. Which you just proved. How he took down Nif is beyond me, good dice rolls I guess.
VERY good dice rolls with height advantage. Nilf flying at 6 move/turn is fast, but Syv was still able to get in an unanswered turn of withering fire before Nilf got in range for retaliatory strikes... then emerged unscathed with no damage the first attack due to still having height for extra defense die (and a lot of red blanks helped too!), and then surviving 2nd attack with 1 life left. Syv was was consistently rolling 3 skulls, both when rolling 4 dice with height, and when only rolling 3 skulls when Nilf got on even ground...

Even a big scary dragon falls down hard when getting peppered with 3 skull attacks twice a turn with only 4 defense! 6 wound markers pile up fast.

Raknar's Heros are huge, but not all-powerful...

Just like Syv can be deadly, but he can also turn out to be a paper tiger...

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old June 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Syv would have needed backup if your opponent had had Sgt. Drake instead of Nilfheim.

Old July 5th, 2006, 01:33 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
[quote="Exrod"]I've tried making a set of 8 balanced armies of 500 points before the party to make sure that everyone has a good chance, that seemed to help a bit.
quote]
Yeah, that's an important thing to do when introducing new people to the game. Especially with so many expansion figs available, a new player is not ina good position to make an intelligent draft. It takes most people a few turns of any game to really get the feel for it, and so to have to make game-making or breaking decisions before even the first die is rolled is pretty tough. Premade, balanced armies are, as you stated, quite helpful in such cases.

And as everyone has already said, Syv is best when operating at his full range of 9. But if the enemy gets close, say goodbye.
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:22 AM

ArcBlade has disabled reputation
One of my favorites

I typically can't rely on good dice rolls so I like characters like Syv. He was my original favorite character. His range and double attacks give you lots of chances with him to get the good roll and his five movement allows some reasonable mobility. My early drafts almost always included Syvarris, Krav Maga (my favorite squad) and Drake...I still don't think there was a better 310 point team in the original game. If we played a high total game I'd get AE next. Collect range glyph, height and Astrid..its lethal. I played one guy who drafted all melee too and he wasn't too put off because we approached the game as a learning experience and I explained during the game what had happened and why he was getting housed.

Now I feel bad, like a traitor, because with Marvel out now Syv is eclipsed by Iron Man who has good range, a big attack and flight. I still took Syv over Iron-Man tonight though, price considerations.

ArcBlade
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Smileyguy521 has disabled reputation
Everyone uses the Range resistant characters against Syvarris, but one thing I seem to see people overlook, out of the RotV almost all the 500pt teams I've seen use 400pts of random (well maybe not Random) people and almost all the teams used Syvarris. It's kind of like everyone used him just to even out the playing field.

Who says if I roll 4/4 skulls with Kaemon Awa repeatedly it's rigged?
Maybe the samurai like me, or absolutely hate you...
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM

FADE has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
yesterday, Syvarris ruled the battlefield against a 400pt army all by himself!

He took out Deadeye Dan, then Theracus, then a full squad of Marrden Hounds, and then, for the coup d'etat, went toe-to-toe against Nilfheim and peppered him with arrows, surviving the encounter with one life left.

I had Braxas and Raelin sitting unused in my starting zone for the entire game.

I still wouldn't say that Syvarris is overpowered, but when the dice are rolling well, he can be a force to fear!!

(in our second game, my friend drafted Syv first off to see if he would do just as well for him, but my squad of Krav Maga squashed him in the first turn of round two without taking any losses... Syv, like any figure, is only dangerous if played well, and if your opponent doesn't draft ranged-resistant figs.)
I had to deal with this situation twice.

The first time i had thercus. So when the opponent came at me i just bum rushed him with my flying horse.

The second time Syvarris was by himself. My opponent started taunting me when i was my turn saying i cant hit i cant hit him. So i bum rushed him with Syvarris and killed two of them of the bat. He was pretty mad.

The moral of this story is that even though there are counters you still have to realize there limitations before you start celebrating.

Me talking to my friend in lecture:
"Grimnak will eat your head" - Me
"What" - Him
"He's a orc who rides a T-Rex"
"WHAT!" - Him
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
The first time I used Syvarris, my opponent had Deathwalker 9000, and I couldn't crack his defense for the life of me. I thought that DW9K was overpowered, and that Syvarris was terrible. Since then, Syvarris being terrible has become an accepted fact at our table. I know this thread was started a long time ago, but perhaps I should give him a couple more chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Lank281 knows what's in an order marker Lank281 knows what's in an order marker
In response to the original post, I never see characters too powerful for their point values, I only see bargains.
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:11 AM

thaddeus p whirl has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lank281
In response to the original post, I never see characters too powerful for their point values, I only see bargains.
I think the game is great because there aren't any "broken" figures. Everything appears to be very well-researched and playtested, and everything feels just about right for its point cost. Another thing that helps balance is the luck factor of the dice; one great initiative roll can turn a game around completely, as can a stellar roll or a whiff on the combat dice.
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:03 AM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
The first time I used Syvarris, my opponent had Deathwalker 9000, and I couldn't crack his defense for the life of me. I thought that DW9K was overpowered, and that Syvarris was terrible. Since then, Syvarris being terrible has become an accepted fact at our table. I know this thread was started a long time ago, but perhaps I should give him a couple more chances.
Lol, we had the exact opposite happen. We used DW9000 three times, he was killed on the first shot all three times (once by Syvarris actually), and now he seems to be cursed. On the other hand, Syvarris is almost always picked. It comes down to first impressions alot of times.
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
Syvarris is a great hero, there's no doubt about it. But that's the great thing about HS; there are lots of great heroes.
I could not agree more. All of them have their weaknesses too. When it comes to Syvarris is the low defense. Syvarris can run and stay out of range, but the map is not endless. Second, you can always take him down with Laglor boosting some Vydar Units with range or fast moving units like the Venoc Vipers, etc.

Also, if your opponent got the last turn of the previous round, but the first turn in the next round, which means that he got two turns in a row, he'll get to you, and when he does, Syvarris is toast.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Syv is not that bad. But if/when Wave 8 arrives, he's sure to improve with some elf boosting elves.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units