Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > AotV Maps & Scenarios
AotV Maps & Scenarios Forum for Discussion of AotV Maps & Scenarios

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 3rd, 2021, 03:31 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
[AotV] General Map and Scenario Intro

Welcome to the Maps and Scenarios subforum for Arena of the Valkyrie! If you aren't familiar with the project, then I encourage you to follow that link to learn more.

This forum is focused on discussing map and scenario ideas for release with the community-driven Master Set project. To that end, many of these maps will use some form of the included AotV terrain. That might be the cardboard mats as a base level, the cardboard ruins as Line of Sight blockers, or just the Pillars of Hár Destructible Object.

Currently, our intent is to feature a handful of scenarios with just the terrain from the three Arena of the Planeswalkers sets to make the project enjoyable as a standalone entrypoint to HeroScape. We would also like to design one scenario for each terrain expansion, so that players can easily expand and find new content while focusing on what interests them. To that end, our goal is something along these lines:
  1. Solely Arena of the Valkyrie Scenario 1
  2. Solely Arena of the Valkyrie Scenario 2
  3. Solely Arena of the Valkyrie Scenario 3
  4. Solely Arena of the Valkyrie Scenario 4
  5. Rise of the Valkyrie Scenario
  6. Swarm of the Marro Scenario
  7. Battle for the Underdark Scenario
  8. Road to the Forgotten Forest Scenario
  9. Fortress of the Archkyrie Scenario
  10. Thaelenk Tundra Scenario
  11. Volcarren Wasteland Scenario
  12. Ticalla Jungle Scenario
The exact number of scenarios per set is of course up for discussion. If the AotV scenarios aren't displaying a large amount of replayability, for instance, then we'd want to design a few more. I also don't think that there's anything wrong with designing more RotV + AotV scenarios blending the sets if we have fun ideas for them.

Also, I'd like to refrain from committing too heavily to certain scenario types at this stage in the process. We have a decent shape for 12 of the units so far (including some notable sculpts like big-bad Ozuul), but the others have not been assigned to a pod yet. To ensure that the units turn out as excellent as possible, I think that most of the AotV-only scenarios will need to be finalized closer to the end of the project.

Still, there is valuable discussion to be had in scenario design principles and general map design, especially for playtesting purposes. I would like to see us put out a few well-balanced maps so that players can feel more comfortable testing with just the core set of AotV on them, or to get a better idea of balancing on the Pillars of Hár. Some good 1v1 maps would be an asset to the project now, I think.

In any case, this thread should be a good introduction to the subforum and general point of discussion for now. I look forward to discussing the details with you all.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > AotV Maps & Scenarios