Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 21st, 2014, 07:57 PM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Japanese Anime Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Marrowick,

Couldn't agree with you more! Sorry if I wasn't clear; I meant compete with Hollywood's BUDGET. (If I didn't think anime was moving, I wouldn't have set this thread up).
True true.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old December 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

My daughter stumbled on The Devil is a Part Timer. She saw some mention of it somewhere and saw that it was on Netflix. She was watching it in the same room, and I stopped what I was doing several times laughing at the dialogue. Holy carp it's funny. It's about the Satan coming to Earth and getting stuck here unable to replenish his magical power. He gets a part time job at McDonald's to pay the rent until he can figure out how to get back. Meanwhile a hero who killed some of his generals is similarly stuck.
Old December 29th, 2014, 03:18 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Animeflower

Thus far my anime experience has been limited (I literally hadn't watched it until about 6 months ago) but I've enjoyed what I've seen. (Although literally all of it has been recommendations from someone else so it's probably among the better stuff in the genre)

Cowboy Bebop (my personal favorite and the only one thus far to actually make me cry)
Trigun (has probably one of my all time favorite characters)
Some Miyazaki works (Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle)
Just halfway under Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

We'll see where I end up after this (I think Code Geass is next on my to watch list) but I have noticed some interesting trends. (Mostly that I tend to like the sci-fi/fantasy ones and tend to stick to things I can consume pretty quickly) All in all it's been quite fascinating.

~Dysole, posting in here in case people give him updates on something that he'll find fascinating
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:01 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

My own favorite Miyazaki so far is indeed Spirited Away, which is so bizarre that it makes me uncomfortable. I saw a good parody on a scene from it once, I think on The Simpson's!

There's something about watching communications, most especially Fantasy or Sci Fi, made from an 'alien' culture (Japan, heavily influenced by preCommunist China), that bad translations/dubs just make seem an even more wonderful mixture of real and unreal...and can open up a receptive mind in pretty unusual ways. (Even when they are some times trying to copy us to some degree).

If you're looking at the good stuff, you can definitely get some experiences from another dimension, which is what art is all about.
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Dysole: Check out Gantz( sci-fi) and Berserk(fantasy) and the .
Both are based off of manga. Both are for adults in case little ones may be around.
Unfortunately both are incomplete in the sense that the story continues in the manga.
Gantz also has a live action version.

Miyazaki is incredible and pretty much everything he made is worth a watch.
Pom Poko(1994) Shape shifting racoons.
Porco Rosso(1992) WWI fighter pilot cursed to look like a pig.
Lupin III(1979) directorial debut. This anime was used to create a laser disc video game, Cliffhanger(1983)(like Dragon's Lair).
On your Mark(1995) 7 minute short.
http://vk.com/video147739517_164786458

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:24 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

Almost a year since the last post. Let's bring this up as I'm out looking for new animes to watch.

My personal faves:
Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli... Spirited Away; My Neighbor, Totoro; Howl's Moving Castle; Laputa, Castle in the Sky; Pricess Mononoke and lots more. I actually have a 4-Disc DVD Miyazaki Collection.
Masamune Shirow... Ghost in the Shell; Appleseed (there's 3 animes for this title)
Cowboy Beebop, Akira and Evangelion.
...and then I couldn't remember any other anime movies.

As for series, the lesser known Phantom (just 1 season), Attack on Titan, watch a few Gundam series but they never really grasp me. I feel that those series from the 80's were better, like Star Blazers, Danguard Ace and Macross.
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:22 PM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Animeflower

How I'd rank the animes I've seen. (Just alphabetical within tier, no ranks)

Tier 1:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Tier 2:

Attack on Titan
The Miyazaki films I've seen
Puella Magi Madoka Magicka
Soul Eater

Tier 3:

Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun

~Dysole, who is probably going to watch Sword Art Online or Deadman Wonderland next
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:10 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker
Re: Animeflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
How I'd rank the animes I've seen. (Just alphabetical within tier, no ranks)

Tier 1:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Is this one a movie or series?
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:55 AM

In Da Brotherhood

It's a series that follows the manga very closely.

~Dysole, finding it one of the most satisfying endings ever
Old June 29th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Just started getting into Anime...and I have to say, I'm hooked!

Burned through Sword Art Online over a weekend and love it! Just finished Death Note, and while that was mentally exhausting...it was still very good.

I'm now onto Fullmetal Alchemist and loving that as well!

Any other anime suggestions?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 29th, 2016, 06:31 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Just a few that I have enjoyed:

Mirai Nikki

Naruto

Naruto Shippuden

Black Butler

Shakugan no Shana

FLCL (Fooly Cooly)

Elfen Lied (not for kids)

Claymore

And, of course, you all have already mentioned many great ones.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; June 29th, 2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Just started getting into Anime...and I have to say, I'm hooked!

Burned through Sword Art Online over a weekend and love it! Just finished Death Note, and while that was mentally exhausting...it was still very good.

I'm now onto Fullmetal Alchemist and loving that as well!

Any other anime suggestions?
Wasn't a huge SAO fan; though you can see Digibro's youtube analysis for why.

Death Note was fantastic, what a great ending too!

FMA I lost interest in, but then I started watching again, and once you reach the second season (episode 26) it starts to become really awesome.

Attack on Titan is one that I use for introducing people to anime; such a cool show. Good for new and old viewers alike.

If you want something in a similar vein to Death Note check out Code Geass; haven't finished yet but I'm loving it. It has a lot more action than DN, but still has the awesome Light-like main character in Lelouch.

And, of course, if you like Fullmetal Alchemist you'll love Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I finished FMA and haven't watched FMAB yet because there are some noticeable differences between the two, and I wanted to step back into that universe fresh again, which is why I'm now watching Code Geass.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies