Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Notices

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:52 PM

Wild_Imagination Woo who?
Cool Re: A Vydar Elemental for Kurrok to summon....

Well here are the D20 "attacks" ... some aren't exactly an attack, but still work against your opponent.

Heroscape D20 attacks
  1. {[Grimnak]} - "Chomp" affects any medium or small figures. Squads are destroyed, Heroes require a D20 roll of 16+.
  2. Ne-Gok-Sa - "Mind Shackle 20" affects only unique adjacent figures. Take control of opponents figure.
  3. {[Tor-Kul-Na]} - "Trample Stomp" affects any small or medium figures on a hex that TKN may end movement on. A roll of 6+ and the adjacent figure gains one wound. If the figure is destroyed TKN may continue movement.
  4. [Sonlen] - "Dragon Swoop" affects any figure within 4 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 15+ and figure receives one wound.
  5. Deepwyrm Drow - "Poison Weapons" affects on small, medium, or large figures that have received a wound due to normal attack or leaving engagement attack. A D20 roll of 12+ give one extra wound.
  6. {[Me-Burq-Sa]} - "Paralyzing Stare 16" affects only small or medium figures. A D20 roll of 16+ cannot use any defense dice this turn.
  7. [Deathwalker 7000] - "Self-Destruct" affects any adjacent figures. Roll D20 1-3/4-15/16-19/20 receive 0/2/4/8 wounds. DW7K is destroyed by attack.
  8. {[James Murphy]} - "Whip 12" affects only small or medium adjacent figures. A D20 roll of 12+ cannot roll defense dice this turn.
  9. [Deadeye Dan] - "Sharpshooter" affects any non-adjacent figure within 10 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 19+ destroys targeted figure.
  10. [Sudema] - "Stare of Stone" affects any figure within 4 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 17+ destroys figure.
  11. Morsbane - "Rod of Negation" affects any unique figure within 6 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll 16-19, negates figures special powers ... roll 20 destroys the figure.
  12. {[Nakita Agents]} - "Engagement Strike 15" affects opponent's small or medium figure that moves adjacent. A D20 roll of 15+ receives one wound.
  13. {[Retiarius]} - "Net Trip 14" affects opponent's figure attacked. A D20 roll of 14+ may only roll a maximum of 1 die for defense.
  14. Shades of Bleakewoode - "Soul Devour" affects any adjacent unique hero. A D20 roll of 19+, destroy shade and take control of that hero.
  15. Kee-Mo-Shi - "Mind Shackle 19" affects any unique adjacent figure. Take control of enemy army card.
  16. [Runa] - "Helm of Mitonsoul Aura" affects all figures within 3 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 20 destroys the figure.
  17. [Cyprien Esenwein] - "Chilling Touch" affects one adjacent figure. Roll D20 ... 1-12/13-15/16-17/18-19/20 deals 0/1/2/3/6 wounds. Doesn't affect soulborgs or destructible objects.
  18. {[Arkmer]} - "Engagement Strike 13" affects opponent's small or medium figure that moves adjacent. A D20 roll of 13+ receives one wound.
  19. [Dund] - "Crippling Gaze 15" affects any figure within 5 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 15+ removes all order markers from targeted figure's card(s).
  20. {[Braxas]} - "Poisonous Acid Breath" affects any 3 small or medium figure within 4 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 8+ destroys squad figures, and a roll of 17+ destroys heroes.
  21. {[Jotun]} - "Throw 14" affects any small or medium non-flying figure. A D20 roll of 14+ moves targeted figure to any empty hex within 4 spaces of Jotun. Roll a D20 for damage ... a roll of 11+ receives 2 wounds, unless the place figure is moved to is a water hex or above the level Jotun is on.
  22. Wo-Sa-Ga - "Coil Crush" affects any small, medium, or large figure attacked. If hit with 2 wounds, roll D20 ... 15+, destroy wounded figure.
  23. {[Fyorlag Spiders]} - "Entangling Web" affects one small or medium opponent's figure engaged by at least 3 spiders. A D20 roll of 16+ causes one order marker to be removed from targeted figure's card.
  24. [Atlaga the Warrior] - "Ullar's Bolt of the Witherwood" affects any opponent's figure within 5 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 16+ destroys the figure. Only possible one time.
  25. [Mogrimm Forgehammer] - "Commander's Strike" affects any opponent's figure within 5 clear spaces and engaged with one of your figures. A D20 roll of 15+ deals one wound.
  26. [Fire Elemental] - "Searing Intensity" affects any adjacent figure to at least one FE. A D20 roll of 14+ deals one wound.
  27. [Greater Ice Elemental] - "Ice Spikes 15" affects any opponent's figure that moves adjacent. A D20 roll of 15+ deals one wound.
  28. {[Shurrak]} - "Knockback 14" affects any opponent's small or medium figure that successfully defended against a normal or special attack by Shurrak. A D20 roll of 14+ knocks back defending figure to an empty hex 3 clear sight spaces. Non-flying figures take falling damage if applicable.
  29. {[Black Wyrmling]} - "Fledgling Acid Breath" affects one small or medium figure within 4 clear sight spaces. A D20 of 1-10/11-15/16-20 receives 0/1/2 wounds.
  30. Mind Flayer Mastermind - "Enslave 17" affects any one Unique Hero within 4 clear sight spaces. A D20 roll of 17+ allows you to take one turn with the affected figure immediately.
  31. Werewolf Lord - "Moon Frenzy" affects any opponent's unique hero that has been infected with lycanthropy. A D20 roll of 11+ allows a turn with the hybrid hero.
[If I missed any, please note them]
The D20 attacks that would affect a common hero would be -- I skipped the D20 attacks that would have already destroyed a 1 Life figure before taking affect:
1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

The D20 attacks that would be blocked if size was seen as Huge:
1, 3, 6, 8, 12, 13, 18, 20, 21, 28, 29

==========================
So the updated stats would be:
Metal Elemental Wall (Vydar)
Elemental
Common Hero
Construct
Tricky
Medium 4

Life: 1
Movement: 5
Range: 2
Attack: 2
Defense: 3
Cost: 35

Abilities
Tough 1
When rolling defense dice add 1 automatic shield to what ever is rolled.

Wall Protection
All small, medium, and large figures that are adjacent to a Metal Elemental Wall gain 1 automatic shield for defense against ranged attacks for each Metal Elemental Wall that they are adjacent to. Maximum number of automatic shields for small and medium is 2 and for large the maximum is 1.

Mystical Metal
Metal Elemental Walls are x3 size Huge for movement and when it is targeted by any D20 power.

This way it encourages multiple walls and the requirement to have to be adjacent vulnerable to adjacent area attacks. They'll still protect quite a bit, but aren't over powered (I think). I'll have to play test this in a game and see.

I will redo the card once I get a chance. Do you think I should use a standard Vydar card or one with vines? My choice would be the one with vines.
Old October 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: A Vydar Elemental for Kurrok to summon....

3 defense + tough is way too strong, in my opinion, for a common figure. That would be the toughest common figure in existence. 2 base defense would be better. (Alternatively, I would suggest giving them 3 or 4 defense, and 1 auto-shield that only works on specials - this would fit nicely with the metal tough theme that the Iron Golem has.)

Mystical Metal seems reasonable, but I don't see why they need to be huge, in stead of large, and I don't see why they should get a climbing bonus. Actually, I like a simpler version of the power. Howe about "Metal Elemental Walls are considered large when targeted by opposing figures". This has the side effect of giving Axegrinders a bonus attack die against them, but hey, Dwarves know how to find the flaw in a chunk of metal, right?

My real beef with this figure is wall protection. That power is straight-up broken as currently worded. Giving any ranged figure next to one of these guys an autoshield is insanely powerful. It means Krav are literally immune to ranged attacks. Basically, any power that stacks with other defense-boosts is going to be very hard to balance, but that one is way over the line.

I thought a bit about how to get the sort of effect you're going for without creating the potential for so much broken-ness. I think a re-cast version of smoke powder is your best bet:

Wall Protection
When a friendly figure adjacent to a Metal Elemental Wall is targeted for an attack, and the minimum number of spaces between the attacker and the targeted figure is higher than the minimum number of spaces between the attacker and the Metal Elemental Wall, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the attacking figure must target the Metal Elemental Wall in stead, if possible.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM

Wild_Imagination Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
3 defense + tough is way too strong, in my opinion, for a common figure. That would be the toughest common figure in existence. 2 base defense would be better. (Alternatively, I would suggest giving them 3 or 4 defense, and 1 auto-shield that only works on specials - this would fit nicely with the metal tough theme that the Iron Golem has.)
At first I thought automatic shields against Special Attacks ... what a joke! But, after looking at all of the attacks that can hit multiples ... about 90% of them are all Special Attacks. Still think auto-shields against Spec. Atks isn't great, but it helps when targeted by area and multiple attacks. So you want a bunch with the ability for the best use of the auto-shields. I will up the defense to 4 and give the MEW the auto-shield against Spec. Atks. // Still don't know why the Earth Elemental doesn't have a defense 4 ... would have made it more interesting & thematic....
Since the Metal Elemental Wall isn't iron, I'll just call it Metal Tough....
METAL TOUGH 1
When rolling for defense against a special attack, Metal Elemental Walls always add one automatic shield.

Quote:
Mystical Metal seems reasonable, but I don't see why they need to be huge, in stead of large, and I don't see why they should get a climbing bonus. Actually, I like a simpler version of the power. Howe about "Metal Elemental Walls are considered large when targeted by opposing figures". This has the side effect of giving Axegrinders a bonus attack die against them, but hey, Dwarves know how to find the flaw in a chunk of metal, right?
I think there was some D20 power or some snag that hit Large, but I'm not finding it. I'm fairly certain that the Axegrinders get an extra defense die against Large and Huge figures ... not attack. To make it so that Sir Denrick and the Axegrinders special abilities kick in ... it doesn't seem to be good that Denrick gets a +2 attack for the MEW. I would prefer to keep it as is. Easy to move down into battle, and able to block many until now unblockable special powers (that somehow are not special nor normal attacks).

Unless I missed something for climbing (which I very easily could have). Height has nothing to do with how easily you climb elevation levels. It does affect how high of a elevation jump you can climb, but with a 5 move and the figure is height 4 (maybe should be 5) normally it can only go up a maximum of 4 elevation levels (4 elevation + 1 for the ending space = 5 movement). So climbing isn't changed. What it would affect would be decending/falling distance. Changing the figure's height while moving would allow it to get down into the fray easier. I will probably change the movement & D20 perceived height to be x2 Large and make the figure a Medium 5. This would make it a perceived height of 10 (Large) for movement and D20 attacks.

Quote:
My real beef with this figure is wall protection. That power is straight-up broken as currently worded. Giving any ranged figure next to one of these guys an autoshield is insanely powerful. It means Krav are literally immune to ranged attacks. Basically, any power that stacks with other defense-boosts is going to be very hard to balance, but that one is way over the line.

I thought a bit about how to get the sort of effect you're going for without creating the potential for so much broken-ness. I think a re-cast version of smoke powder is your best bet:

Wall Protection
When a friendly figure adjacent to a Metal Elemental Wall is targeted for an attack, and the minimum number of spaces between the attacker and the targeted figure is higher than the minimum number of spaces between the attacker and the Metal Elemental Wall, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the attacking figure must target the Metal Elemental Wall in stead, if possible.
Thank you! I had completely over looked the units with the one-shield defense. I agree that would have been ugly and broken... It actually made me consider the one shield defense for the MEW, but an auto-shield even just for special attacks is still better (especially since a number of cannot roll defense die attacks are special and that way you still get one shield). 13 is a good cutoff for a power that completely remove the hit-zones for normal attacks, but the Wall Protection wouldn't completely block the attack ... just protect the figure trying to use the MEW as a shield. So how about:
WALL PROTECTION 8
If an adjacent small, medium, or large figure is targeted by a ranged attack and a Metal Elemental Wall is closer to the attacker, roll a D20. If the roll is 8+ the attack still occurs, but the Metal Elemental wall is the target.

This way area & multiple attacks will still happen, just prevent 65% of the time (if the die rolled statistically true) from being able to target adjacent figures that aren't as close as the MEW to the ranged attacker. Multiple attacks that can't attack any figure more than once will only get the one attack unless the D20 rolls a 1-7. Of course you would roll for each figure separately this way. Area attacks and Multiple attacks that can attack the same figure more than once will most likely repeatedly attack the wall and the MEW would get it's defense roll & 1 auto-shield for the special attacks. I guess that if 3 figures + the MEW are hit with an area attack, and say the MEW is destroyed on the 2nd targeted figure's salvo ... the 3rd figure wouldn't get the D20 roll and would get hit by the area attack.

So the stats would be:
Life: 1
Movement: 5
Range: 2
Attack: 2
Defense: 4
Cost: 35

For reference, I noted the ranged Area & Multiple attacks:
AREA/MULTIPLE ATTACKS
Deathwalker 9000 : Explosion Special Attack (affects figures adjacent to target)
Syvarris : Double Attack (attacks 2 times)
Airborne Elite : Grenade Special Attack (one use)
Major Q10 : Machine Pistol Special Attack (attacks 4 times)
Major Q10 : Wrist Rocket Special Attack (attacks 2 times)
Erevan Sunshadow : Fire Blast Special Attack (potential multiple attack does not have to target the same figure)
Othkurik the Black Dragon : Acid Spray Special Attack (affect figures adjacent to target)
Pelloth : Lolth's Wrath Special Attack (affects potentially three targets, do not have to be adjacent)
Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan : Shotgun Blast Special Attack
Aubrien Archers : Frenzy (potentially multiple turns)
James Murphy : Shotgun Blast Special Attack (affects figures adjacent to target)
Jorhdawn : Rain of Flame Special Attack (affects figures adjacent to target)
Deathwalker 8000 : Rapid Fire Special Attack (potential multiple attack, does not have to target the same figure)
Major Q9 : Queglix Gun Special Attack (3 - 9 attacks)
Nilfheim : Ice Shard Breath Special Attack (attacks 3 times, cannot attack the same figure more than once)
Zelrig : Majestic Fires Special Attack (affects figures adjacent to target / Common Squads roll 2 less defense dice)
Agent Skahen : Double Attack (attacks 2 times)
Brandis Skyhunter : Archer's Glory (if destroys an opponent's non-adjacent Unique Hero, take another turn)
Sharwin Wildborn : Arcane Bolt Special Attack (potential multiple adjacent attacks)
Heirloom : Force Orb Special Attack (affects figures adjacent to target)
Blue Wyrmling : Fledgling Lightning Breath Special Attack (attacks 2 different figures)
White Wyrmling : Fledgling Ice Shards Special Attack (attacks 2 different figures)
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Imagination View Post
Quote:
Mystical Metal seems reasonable, but I don't see why they need to be huge, in stead of large, and I don't see why they should get a climbing bonus. Actually, I like a simpler version of the power. How about "Metal Elemental Walls are considered large when targeted by opposing figures". This has the side effect of giving Axegrinders a bonus attack die against them, but hey, Dwarves know how to find the flaw in a chunk of metal, right?
I think there was some D20 power or some snag that hit Large, but I'm not finding it. I'm fairly certain that the Axegrinders get an extra defense die against Large and Huge figures ... not attack.
Nope, they get both. And the way I worded it, the Axegrinders would only get the advantage on attack, since they are not targeting anything when they get attacked.

Quote:
To make it so that Sir Denrick and the Axegrinders special abilities kick in ... it doesn't seem to be good that Denrick gets a +2 attack for the MEW.
Denrick's power only works against huge figures, not large figures.

Quote:
Quote:
Wall Protection
Thank you! I had completely over looked the units with the one-shield defense. I agree that would have been ugly and broken... It actually made me consider the one shield defense for the MEW, but an auto-shield even just for special attacks is still better (especially since a number of cannot roll defense die attacks are special and that way you still get one shield). 13 is a good cutoff for a power that completely remove the hit-zones for normal attacks, but the Wall Protection wouldn't completely block the attack ... just protect the figure trying to use the MEW as a shield. So how about:
WALL PROTECTION 8
If an adjacent small, medium, or large figure is targeted by a ranged attack and a Metal Elemental Wall is closer to the attacker, roll a D20. If the roll is 8+ the attack still occurs, but the Metal Elemental wall is the target.
The "closer" wording needs to be cleaned up - that's why I mentioned counting spaces (similar to the MRT's concealment power). Also, you need an "if possible" there, other wise you could be asking the attacker to target a figure they can't see.

Quote:
I guess that if 3 figures + the MEW are hit with an area attack, and say the MEW is destroyed on the 2nd targeted figure's salvo ... the 3rd figure wouldn't get the D20 roll and would get hit by the area attack.
If you hit the MEW with an explosion attack, adjacent figures would still be hit.
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM

BigBadBruinsMac is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRTU View Post
Looks pretty good. You could probably even make his Move, Attack and/or Defense higher. I like the idea of him being a guard, though the other elementals are all constructs. I wonder what Ullar would have? A tree?
D&D's Wood Woad would work. Would it be a Wood elemental or a Nature elemental?

Have no clue what powers it should have.... Maybe a regenerate power when in water & 2 life... (otherwise regeneration would be meaningless).
My son and I just created an uncommon hero from the Wood Woad. It has a special ranged attack - it can target an enemy that is 7 spaces away and is also adjacent to a tree or bush. The attack is 3 + 1 extra die for each plant/tree adjacent to the enemy. Basically our Wood Woad gets its forested friends to attack the enemy lol.

Awesome traders: theredfro, R˙chean, SuperflyTNT, Kaiyu, TheSparkleInYourWater
Old September 22nd, 2020, 12:45 PM

UtgarsWorstFear is surprisingly tart

Well, resurrecting a 10 year old thread might be worth a shot, right?

I like the direction this figure was going and was really hoping Heroscapers would have some sort of metal elemental for Vydar created. Was this card or anything like it ever agreed upon by the community as being anywhere near "official?"

C3G is why I play heroscape.
Old November 21st, 2020, 01:01 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I mean, if you can find a figure for it or a print file it could be loads of fun

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs