Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old October 7th, 2014, 04:28 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I love Advance Wars about the only game I would play on boys' gameboys (DS). Great little strategy game.
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:15 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I just got a 50% off offer from GMT for any two old items, based on the fact that I have a game already on order (C&C Prussian Army in my case). I'm thinking about Twilight Struggle, which I knew nothing about but have now seen videos and written reviews on. And hey, I lived through most of the Cold War it portrays.

Anybody play TS? Do you like it? It seems to me I've heard it mentioned here. Well, I'm reading through its rules which I printed out yesterday; and it is rated the #1 Two Player on bgg!

For the other item, since they have no other games I want, I may get the larger box for Sekigahara. The bizarre story there, if you don't know it, is that they put the game out originally in a box that didn't hold the components once you broke the game out to play it. So they made a larger box for the second and further printings. My old box is now open to just the extra depth of the new box, which is available for separate purchase, but I never bothered before this. It will be more incentive to actually play through a whole game of this excellent design which is sitting on the shelf only because there have been so many other things to play since I got it. So far I've only played half a game of it, which my opponent and I really enjoyed.
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I just got a 50% off offer from GMT for any two old items, based on the fact that I have a game already on order (C&C Prussian Army in my case). I'm thinking about Twilight Struggle, which I knew nothing about but have now seen videos and written reviews on. And hey, I lived through most of the Cold War it portrays.

Anybody play TS? Do you like it? It seems to me I've heard it mentioned here. Well, I'm reading through its rules which I printed out yesterday; and it is rated the #1 Two Player on bgg!

I have only played TS once and I enjoyed it. As I recall, the Soviet Union starts off pretty strong and the U.S. has to weather the storm for a while. It was neat from a historical point of view with the cards having some real life things that went on. They are multi-purpose cards that can be used for a couple different things. It's neat in how each side tries to influence different parts of the world. As you said, it's #1 rated on BGG. That's subjective of course, but it does at least speak to it being a good game, considering there are games rated in the 100's that I like, as there are thousands of games overall.

Last night I played:

No Thanks x 2 - We needed a little filler game to give more time for others to show up before hitting the bigger games. I have played it before but for some reason I played it like an idiot last night on both occasions and came in last with 5 players.

City of Iron - I finally got to teach this one in a 4 player game. Though there is a bit of explanation to do at the beginning because there are many options for actions you can take, means of getting VP's and explaining the various cards, it went really well once we got going. The box says 2 hours and by golly it took 2 hours, but that included explaining the game and all new players (I had only soloed it to be able to teach it better), so we did quite well time-wise and it didn't feel like it took that long, as it was very engaging in you planning on what you wanted to do and some actions went really quick. I really enjoyed it, as did the others. I won by a couple VP's.

Abyss - 2nd time playing this one and really enjoy it. Same 4 of us that played City of Iron, but this time I came in last. The winner had like 72 points, while the rest of us finished with 58, 54 and 51. He just got his engine going and was able to take it to the house so to speak. Fun game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:

I've played only the first part of the game once, and it seemed to run a bit long for me. I simply ended the game prematurely. Granted that this was a learning game with my dad and we were slowly going through each turn, but I'm not certain if I'd enjoy it when played at a better pace.

As someone who admires imaginative game mechanics, I do find some neat features to the game. I especially like the fact that you have to play cards that benefit your opponent, and I like the tit-for-tat aspect.

Do you remember a classic computer game by Chris Crawford called Balance of Power? This game reminds me a bit of that classic. The very few times I played the game always ended in nuclear annihilation, so you really shouldn't vote for me to be President should I find myself delusional enough to desire the office.

I later encountered another unrelated game that also features a back-and-forth tug of war play style that I enjoyed much more: Blue Moon Legends. This is a Reiner Knizia game where you're going back and forth playing cards to set a point value, and your opponent has to either back down and give you a point ("dragon" in game terms) or try to match or beat that value. It's a really unusual game, and one that's really difficult to describe properly.
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:47 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

REGULAR BOX INTO SEGMENTED BOX

I just found a product which you can use to make a regular game box or other box into a segmented box, where you need larger individual sections than you can get in a Plano box or a more expensive Parts Sorting Box (where my Heroclix Supers figures live).

In my case, I needed a way to store the fairly large but all too fragile spaceships from Star Trek Fleet Captains. The answer turned out to be something that looks like a plastic picket fence for a dollhouse with the points rounded off.

The Container Store Item # 10051251 "Small Slotted Interlocking draw Organizer ($5.99 for a pack of five 17" long/ 2 1/2" high strips) lets you make individual square segments to store things in. And if they can organize a drawer, why not a box? I bought three packs, and exactly fit my 48 spaceships from The Original Game and the Romulan and now Dominion Expansions into those three boxes. I'm storing all the other game parts in a separate plastic box.

And that's How I Did It.

Last edited by chas; October 16th, 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
REGULAR BOX INTO SEGMENTED BOX

I just found a product which you can use to make a regular game box or other box into a segmented box, where you need larger individual sections than you can get in a Plano box or a more expensive Parts Sorting Box (where my Heroclix Supers figures live).

In my case, I needed a way to store the fairly large but all too fragile spaceships from Star Trek Fleet Captains. The answer turned out to be something that looks like a plastic picket fence for a dollhouse with the points rounded off.

The Container Store Item # 10051251 "Small Slotted Interlocking draw Organizer ($5.99 for a pack of five 17" long/ 2 1/2" high strips lets you make individual square segments to store things in. And if they can organize a drawer, why not a box? I bought three packs, and exactly fit my 48 spaceships from The Original Game and the Romulan and now Dominion Expansions into those three boxes. I'm storing all the other game parts in a separate plastic box.

And that's How I Did It.
Pretty nice find Chas. Here is a link
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:22 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
I have 2 starter sets, a TIE advanced, a TIE Phantom, an A-Wing, and a B-Wing. If I were to get 2 more ships, which 2 should I get? Should I get the shuttle, which can be used by both sides?
The Shuttle can't be used by both sides: it's just an Imperial ship. An X-Wing and a TIE Fighter expansion wouldn't be a bad idea, as that gives you more pilots for those ships, as well as a few different upgrades. Either that or a couple other different ships like a Y-Wing and a TIE Interceptor. Hop over to the X-Wing thread if you're interested in more discussion!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:35 PM

Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
This is a bit of an odd suggestion, but those of you that like Rivet Wars would like the Advance Wars video games. Similar cutesy military aesthetic to them. They're turn based and have no luck involved. They have hotseat play too. They're essentially just boardgames on your gameboy advance/DS.
It's also available for $8 on the Wii U EShop . They just started adding GBA games to the virtual console service a month or so ago.
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Started the 3rd scenario (Saving Annie?) of Robinson Crusoe with @CatScaper , also. We are doing alright, but things can go south pretty quickly with RC.
We ended up losing this one last night. We saved Annie, but our morale was hurting the whole game. We were way too conservative with our actions, opting to send 2 to explore or build too many times. Oh well, CatScaper still had fun, so good enough for me.

Squeezed in a game of Krosmaster with @Legos of Bleakewoode today. This is starting to hit the table, or in this case the floor, more. I wish it would get some local tournament love.
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars1912 View Post
Quote:
This is a bit of an odd suggestion, but those of you that like Rivet Wars would like the Advance Wars video games. Similar cutesy military aesthetic to them. They're turn based and have no luck involved. They have hotseat play too. They're essentially just boardgames on your gameboy advance/DS.
It's also available for $8 on the Wii U EShop . They just started adding GBA games to the virtual console service a month or so ago.
I wish I could get Super Metriod for the 3DS/DS....
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Three more games of Doomtown: Reloaded last night. I lost them all, but I had lots of fun!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 11th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Last few days have been me meeting up with my new found X-Wing friends. Lost the tourney today, but still had fun. Although the real time, 1 hour per round format was real annoying and screwed me. How you won was based on points destroyed. So I lost a Tie Defender and a Tie Fighter, and he lost a Tie Fighter with his Firespray (the Slave 1 ship) one hit away from death when the time limit was up. Any game that isn't a steamroll ends up being decided by the stupid time limit just as things are starting to get good.

All the one hour real time limit does is introduce the "Oh, come on!" factor into X-Wing, a game without an "Oh, come on!" factor. The "Oh, come on!" factor is the major reason why Zombies!!! isn't fun to play (without taking the power cards out of the deck).

Anyways my build was:

Cheapest Tie Defender at pilot skill 1 - 30
Howlrunner's Tie Fighter with Push The Limit - 51
4x Academy Tie Fighters - 99

Howlrunner was there to allow friendlies at range 1 to re-roll 1 attack die. I flew her in formation with everything else. She has Push The Limit in order to acquire both an evade and a focus token to increase her survivability because she's squishy and the most important ship when you're running a Tie swarm. She's like Taelord in X-Wing, but actually worth the points. The defender has a white K-turn and solid stats.

First game I got "Oh Come on" 'ed by the time limit with my opponent's one health Slave 1.

Second game I withstood my opponent's meager first attacks and got a good return volley off, wiping out her red Tie Interceptor. She was visibly upset. I then killed off most of the rest of her units before the time limit was up.

Third game I faced off against one of my X-Wing buddies. He was running two Slave 1's (They're actually called Firesprays in the game unless it's Fett's specific one, and he didn't use Fett) with a Tie Fighter. He swung his Tie Fighter way out across the map to flank me which took a couple turns, which is bad economy of force. I withstood his two attacks from the big ships and then took one of his out with a full broadside in one turn. Eventually I killed his other Firespray and won.

Next game I got whomped by 2 rookie X-Wings and 2 two pilot skill B-Wings with Heavy Laser Cannons on both of them. Their whole army had 2 pilot skill, and everything in mine was 1 except for Howlrunner's Tie at 8 so they always got to shoot first.

The game after that my opponent was running a similar arrangement to mine, except with one less Academy Tie and a super buffed Tie Phantom. If he hit with an attack he would get a free re-cloak, a free focus, and a free target lock. And if he missed with an attack, he got to fire again because he also had Gunner on his Phantom. I made the HUGE mistake of focusing his sponge and wasting a good volley and a half on it. I went on to lose.

Things I've learned: DON'T focus fire damage sponges. This happened in my first game and now this. Never again. It's okay to just swat Tie Fighters one by one and deal with the scary 4 attack Phantom later. Reduce the number of incoming attacks first.

Pilot skill is pretty valuable, more valuable than having 5 Tie Fighters instead of 4. I'm thinking of modifying this build and dropping a Tie Fighter so that I can get pilot skill 3 Ties, which are only 13 points. This counters other 1 pilot skill Tie swarms, and it 1-ups the inexpensive 2 pilot skill rebel strategy. We'll see how that works with the points. I believe there is a pilot skill 3 defender also. Should work, and I might be able to squeeze some missiles or an ion weapon onto my defender.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; October 11th, 2014 at 07:21 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games