Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old November 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM

bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Magic the Gathering + Heroscape = MagicScape?

I bet there are a lot of Magic the Gathering players on here. Hopefully, this can provide an interesting new way to play Heroscape and Magic at the same time.
This is an idea a friend and I had for combining Magic the Gathering and Heroscape into one game. I haven't tested this at all, nor do I think it is ready for use, I'd just like to hear any comments you have on it.
Just think of it as normal Magic, except your creatures are replaced with HS army cards.

I see that some others have had this idea but haven't taken it very far.
Edit: Actually, never mind, it seems that they were just converting HS cards to Magic.

Setup
You'll need one standard Magic the Gathering deck for each player, and at least an RotV worth of HS figures, preferably more.
You'll also need to set up an HS battlefield. The field should be at least large enough that you can fulfill the next step:
Each player must pick a Medium or Large HS figure or another figure of approximately Medium or Large size. This figure represents that player on the battlefield. Place these figures on the battlefield. They will be refered to as 'Planeswalkers' for simplicity. For best game balance, the figures should be about 20 hexes away from each other.

Starting the Game
Each player shuffles his or her deck and draws 7 cards. Each planeswalker starts with 20 life.

The Game
The game plays much like the standard rounds/turns format of Heroscape, but with Magic turns mixed in:
Turn Structure
Beginning of Round:
- Roll initiative
- Place order markers (if you have any units)
Turn 1:
- Player 1's Turn
> Untap Step
> Upkeep
> Draw
> First main phase (see 'Special Rules')
> Player reveals his or her first order marker and takes a standard HS turn
> Second main phase
> End-of-turn phase
- Player 2's Turn
> [Same as Player 1's]

Turn 2:
- [Same as Turn 1]
Turn 3:
- [Same as Turn 1]
Repeat

Special Rules
Obviously some rules and texts need to be changed to accommodate the HS figures. Here are some thoughts I had about this:
1.) Creatures
Whenever a player plays a creature spell, that player places that creature in it's owner's graveyard and may draft a Heroscape Army Card with point value equal to or less than the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost x30. That player places any figures on that army card on the battlefield within 4 hexes of that his or her Planeswalker. The figures must be within clear sight of the Planeswalker.
No more than one army card may be drafted for each creature spell played.
Points do not accumulate or stack.
When a Common unit is drafted this way, draft only one card's worth of that unit.
Legends Rule - When a player controls two army cards of the same Unique squad or hero, destroy all figures on both army cards.
When all figures on an army card have been destroyed, that card becomes available for draft again (except in the case of cards whose figures are still in use, such as Finn and Thorgrim).

2.) Kill spells
Spells with 'Destroy Creature' effects destroy individual figures, not army cards.

3.) Burn spells
Spells that inflict damage on a creature: roll attack die equal to the damage that spell would deal against the figure or Planeswalker targeted. Inflict that many wounds.

4.) -X/-X and +X/+X Spells
Target an army card.
These spells increase or decrease the targeted card's attack and defense rolls for the turn.
If a spell would reduce a figure's defense below 0, it reduces that figure's life for the remaining amount.
Destroying squads with -X/-X spells: For each one defense below 0 the spell would inflict, destroy one squad figure.
These effects end and end of turn, except for destroyed figures.

5.) Enchant Creature and Equipment spells
Basically, just place these on an army card as though it were a creature. All figures on that army card are affected by the spell.

6.) Attacking and Blocking
After moving, of course, you may attack. Resolve attacks against figures as normal.
Attacks against Planeswalkers:
> Planeswalkers start with 20 life. They have no defense.
> When a Planeswalker is attacked, that player may choose to redirect the attack to any figure that player controls within two clear-sight spaces of the attacking figure or that Planeswalker. If no figures fulfill this condition, that player must take the damage.

7.) Tapping creatures
Tapping is used only for the compatability with Magic cards such as Viridian Longbow.
When a figure uses a tap ability, turn its army card 45 degrees. Tapped army cards cannot use tap abilities until they become untapped.

Conclusion
Because of the complexity of Magic, it would be impossible to account for all the strange combos and incompatablity issues that may arrise while playing MagicScape. I think it's still a viable idea, though. Most of the problems that arrise can probably sorted out with house rules and common sense.
What do you think?

MSE: Easy Heroscape Card Creation
V2.5 Expanded Glyphs

Last edited by bmaczero; November 11th, 2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM

greenless is surprisingly tart
Re: Magic the Gathering + Heroscape = MagicScape?

Could be fun, but i have a few questions? How do land destruction spells work? Cards that effect drawing and discarding cards? Gaining life would be pretty broken, wouldn't it?

This would definately take alot of ironing out complexities.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

I like the idea. But when you litirally merge two games into one, it causes for many problems. I think you should make a magic heroscape game just make the way that you dont need magic cards. Just you would need to make figures and stuff yes but it could be cool.

Deathreacers should be banned!
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Very interesting. As my friends are more into Magic than Heroscape, I'll try to get them interested in a game like this sometime.

I think "destroy" effects should only be allowed on squad figures, though, otherwise you're seriously encouraging SquadScape.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM

bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Could be fun, but i have a few questions? How do land destruction spells work? Cards that effect drawing and discarding cards? Gaining life would be pretty broken, wouldn't it?
I aimed to avoid a lot of the complexities by changing the two games as little as possible. All I did was insert the Heroscape turn into the normal Magic attack phase, and replaced Magic figures with HS figures. Players would still play lands and spells other than creature spells as normal, and they would untap, draw, etc as normal.

Quote:
I like the idea. But when you litirally merge two games into one, it causes for many problems. I think you should make a magic heroscape game just make the way that you dont need magic cards. Just you would need to make figures and stuff yes but it could be cool.
Do you mean create a totally new game that combines Magic and Heroscape? That would be ideal, but of course it would require creating tons of new cards, rules, etc. It would be much easier if people could just use the Magic decks they already own and rules they already know. I think it is possible to account for all the discrepencies that may arrise in the rules with enought errata, especially because only the spells that effect creatures need to be modified.

Quote:
Very interesting. As my friends are more into Magic than Heroscape, I'll try to get them interested in a game like this sometime.

I think "destroy" effects should only be allowed on squad figures, though, otherwise you're seriously encouraging SquadScape.
Glad it can help bring more people to HS . I have definitely be debating about how kill would work. I definitely see that allowing it to kill heros could be quite annoying. I'll probably change it to destroying individual squad figures.

V2.5 Expanded Glyphs
Old February 9th, 2016, 06:50 PM

ekoxe1 is surprisingly tart

it'll never catch on
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:12 PM

Better go ask Wizards for my million dollars now :P.

V2.5 Expanded Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions