Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
NorCal - Map Monsters in August

When: Saturday, August 17th 2013, 11am to 7pm.

Where: Ronin Games (19601 Center St., Castro Valley)

What: NorCal Tournament August 2013 - Map Monsters

The Event Format: Swiss-style - 60 minute time limit. Due to space constraints, we have a six-map limit this time. Therefore we have a 13-player limit for this tournament. Unless the current champ attends and offers, this is not for the trophy. Standing will be determined by Win/Loss, then Strength of Schedule, then Points Killed (I'll explain this at the tournament).

All players will bring dice, OMs, Wound Markers, and ONE 415pt army with a 22 hex limit.

All Classic, SoV, C3V units are allowed. Marvel allowed but no C3G.

The Map Monster:
Each map will have one Unique or Uncommon Hero in the 140-210 point range called the Map Monster (MM). Beginning with OM3 of the first round, each player, on each Order Marker, has the option of taking a turn with the MM instead of the unit the OM was on.

Before placing OMs for the first round of the game, roll a d20 to determine who will place the MM on the board. Place the MM on the board before the OMs are placed. Initial placement of the MM has the following restrictions:
1. may not be placed in either start zone
2. may not be placed adjacent to any figure on the board
3. may not be placed on a glyph
4. must be placed in the designated MM Placement Zone if possible (MMPZs.pdf).

The MM is never a part of either army. So, with the exception of global-effect glyphs like Rannveig, a MM that occupies a power glyph provides the effect of the glyph only to himself, and glyph that your army occupies will not affect the MM when you control the MM. The MM is not 'friendly' to either player and will always swipe at disengaging figures. You may choose to swipe at the MM when he is disengaging from your figures, even if you are controlling him at the time. Anytime the MM must 'choose an opponent' (e.g. Wannok), roll a d20. A MM may pick up, carry, and use Treasure Glyphs just like any other Unique Hero. Since no OMs are ever on the MM, no abilities that trigger from OMs will have any effect. The MM cannot be Mindshackled or Enslaved (or any other form of taking temporary or permanent control that I'm forgetting) other than that built-in to the format.

In the event the MM is killed, at the beginning of the following round, before OMs are placed, the MM will be placed back on the board. The opponent of the player who killed the MM will remove all markers from the MM's unit card and choose where to place the MM following the same restrictions as initial placement. If (unlikely as it may be) the MM cannot be placed on the board within these restrictions, try again before either OM 2 is revealed, then, if still unplaced, before either OM 3 is revealed.

Each of the Map Monsters will have this special ability (in addition to any that they already have):
Fickle
Before taking a turn with this unit, roll a d20. On a result of 1-4, this unit's maximum move this turn is equal to the die roll. On a result of 20, your opponent controls this unit for this turn.

The Map List: Please PM me if you can provide one or more of these on game day.
Spoiler Alert!

Glyphs: - Some maps may have fixed glyphs. If you bring these maps, please provide those glyphs. If a map you are providing includes random Power Glyphs, please provide a pool of one each of as many of the following glyphs as you can (5 minimum):
Astrid, Dagmar, Gerda, Valda, Mitonsoul, Lodin, Sturla, Wannock

If a map you are providing includes Treasure Glyphs, please provide a pool of one each of as many of the following glyphs as you can (4 minimum):
Heroic Rune, Talisman of Defense, Potion of Healing, Elixir of Speed, Ring of Protection, Whetstone of Venom, Bracers of Teleportation, Cloak of Invisibility, Belt of Giant Strength, Brooch of Shielding, Scarab of Invulnerability, Giant Hunter Stone, Oceanstrider Amulet

I will bring extras of all of these for those who cannot provide enough.

The Attendee List:

1. cmgames
2. Ronin Valentina
3. Carnival Man
4. Carnival Boy
5. personwholives
6. cptnoodleloaf
7. zyx
8. Slicer51b
9. Serenity
10. CyborgJustin
11. Jerry22

Responded but Not Attending
Onibaku06
Mariogolbee & ninjakat
Robotunit197

If you have questions or comments, please post them!

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; August 4th, 2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: update attendees
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:57 PM

Robotunit197 knows what's in an order marker Robotunit197 knows what's in an order marker
Re: NorCal - Map Monsters in August

I believe I'm free the 17th unless anything pops up. I'm busy the 9th-12th, and school starts on the 19th for me. Game Kastle would be the most convenient for me.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have concerns with the MM format.

I think the initial placement should be near the center of the map. Allowing it to be placed near one army gives the other army a huge advantage. The player that is nowhere near the monster can take all of his turns for awhile with just the monster and not risk any of his/her troops. If the player being harrassed by the MM kills the monster, the other player get to place it again in position to attack the original player.

Thus, a huge advantage comes from the first die roll and the placement of the monster. Considering the small size of the armies, that might decide the game right there.
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:14 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
I have concerns with the MM format.

I think the initial placement should be near the center of the map. Allowing it to be placed near one army gives the other army a huge advantage. The player that is nowhere near the monster can take all of his turns for awhile with just the monster and not risk any of his/her troops. If the player being harrassed by the MM kills the monster, the other player get to place it again in position to attack the original player.

Thus, a huge advantage comes from the first die roll and the placement of the monster. Considering the small size of the armies, that might decide the game right there.
Initial placement is before the OM placement and therefore before d20 for initiative.

But I see the concern. I will create a Map Monster Placement Zone (MMPZ) near the center of each map. The MM must be placed in the MMPZ if possible, then in the other valid spaces per previously explicated rules if it can't be placed legally in the MMPZ.

~Z

My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; August 5th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm in! I'd selfishly vote GK over Ronin (the irony!) but honestly I'm fine with either locale.

I'll need a little time to digest the format; as I have to be awake in five-ish hours, but here's the first question that came to my mind on the format.

Can the Map Monster be mindshackled in a permanent way? (At least, until it dies and respawns.)

Lastly, I'd love to see Cyprien be a Map Monster. Think of the hilarity that could ensue.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
I'm in! I'd selfishly vote GK over Ronin (the irony!) but honestly I'm fine with either locale.

I'll need a little time to digest the format; as I have to be awake in five-ish hours, but here's the first question that came to my mind on the format.

Can the Map Monster be mindshackled in a permanent way? (At least, until it dies and respawns.)

Lastly, I'd love to see Cyprien be a Map Monster. Think of the hilarity that could ensue.
Excellent question! I think it would be best to say NO. The MM cannot be Mindshackled or Enslaved (or any other form of taking temporary or permanent control that I'm forgetting) other than that built-in to the format.

~Z

P.S. Waiting to hear back from GK on availability.
P.P.S. I'm choosing Large or Huge Heroes only. More "monster-y" that way.

My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; August 5th, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:43 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My vote would be on Ronin. It's still far away, but not excessively.

What is to keep both players from just constantly taking turns with the MM, perhaps just moving it back and forth fruitlessly in the middle of the map? Perhaps a d20 for control, with a chance of nothing happening or perhaps the opponent getting control for the turn on a particularly poor roll?
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
What is to keep both players from just constantly taking turns with the MM, perhaps just moving it back and forth fruitlessly in the middle of the map? Perhaps a d20 for control, with a chance of nothing happening or perhaps the opponent getting control for the turn on a particularly poor roll?
Nothing. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

~Z

My map thread
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
Quote:
Nothing. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

~Z
Give all Map Monsters the following ability-

Wandering Monster:
This figure cannot end its turn in any hexes it has previously occupied during this round.

This also makes using the monster a bit more strategic, because it cannot camp a spot or a location; if you activate the monster, it must move.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:55 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

I really like the look of Swamp Thing...put me down for that first, then I'll look at what's left over the weekend.

I'll go by Ronin's tomorrow after work and see if the 17th is ok...I'll check back in when I get home.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:36 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Ed at Ronin said the 17th would be fine, but they are also having a 40k tournament the same day so space will be tight. We'll have 3 tables (room for up to 6 maps max.)

I told him I would let him know for sure by Friday night.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN

Last edited by Carnival Man; August 7th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man View Post
Ed at Ronin said the 17th would be fine, but they are also having a 40k tournament the same day so space will be tight. We'll have 3 tables (room for up to 6 maps max.)

I told him I would let him know for sure by Friday night.
Say yes! GK is not available on the 17th.

~Z

My map thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events