Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:51 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Anybody else remove wound markers instead of adding them?

Our gaming group reverses the directionality of wound markers. Every unique/uncommon hero begins with as many wound markers on his card as he has life. And as he loses life, he loses markers. Makes it much easier, at a single glance, to ascertain how close to death a figure is.

I'm curious how many others do the same. It seems so much easier than the method prescribed by the rules, which requires knowing a figure's starting life, and subtracting from that the number of visible markers, in order to figure out his life remaining.

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 23rd, 2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM

Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Anybody else remove wound markers instead of adding them

Never even thought about doing it that way. It seems like a lot of work to count them out first. I always keep the life visable and once I reach that number I know to take the figure off the board.

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of darkness
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

We don't use wound markers at all, we use dice to track wound count. One wound, the dice sits on the card on the one pip side, 2, 3, etc...

Less stuff to clutter up the table and/or get knocked around.

-insert signature here-
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have played some folks who remove markers -vs- putting them on.

I do like that idea and have no problem with it. I would suggest it would be wise to let the person you are playing know this prior the start of your game....just so everyone is on the same page and their is no misunderstanding. Even though you set your markers up that way it does not mean your oppent will notice that right away.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

That's a great idea! I should do that with my youngest when we play. The concept of getting weaker, but adding things to the character's card is a little counter-intuitive for a 5-year-old.

Not one step backwards!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

The Feral Troll/Krug might require a little extra thought for their attacks with this system...

I personally find it easier to remove them, and just to visually look and see a lot of markers, then I think "X person has taken a lot of damage". It doesn't really add any time (only seconds) to figure out life remaining, so I don't really mind.

If I did though, I would probably repaint some and call them "Life Markers".
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
The Feral Troll/Krug might require a little extra thought for their attacks with this system...

I personally find it easier to remove them, and just to visually look and see a lot of markers, then I think "X person has taken a lot of damage". It doesn't really add any time (only seconds) to figure out life remaining, so I don't really mind.

If I did though, I would probably repaint some and call them "Life Markers".
Krug and Alastair pose no problem. Instead of removing the markers from Krug's card permanently, we just slide them to the side of the card; this way it's immediately obvious both how much life he has left and how many extra dice he rolls. And when Alastair loses life, we move the markers from his card onto the MacDirk card, so we don't even have to look at Alastair's card to figure out how many extra dice his Warriors roll. Only the Feral Troll requires any extra thought.

I just find it so much more intuitive to think in terms of losing life than gaining wounds. And in game terms, it seems more helpful to easily see life left than to see damage taken.

I'm not trying to convert anybody. Just wondering why the game designers opted for what seems to me to be the more complicated and counter-intuitive system.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
We don't use wound markers at all, we use dice to track wound count. One wound, the dice sits on the card on the one pip side, 2, 3, etc...

Less stuff to clutter up the table and/or get knocked around.
I do the same thing, and I think pretty much every NESA player does as well. For me, it comes from all of the games I've played. I'm so used to other games where you put the wounds on the card/figure/etc, its just reactionary. That, and I have a ton of dice.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker

Once I have a high-life figure get down to one or two I switch to taking them off. Less clutter on the card that way.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

I've never thought of doing this before. It sounds like a good idea that I will have to try in a future game.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:11 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

I've never heard of that before, but it sounds ineresting! I'll have to give it a shot!

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Taking them off would mess up any power that says to add or remove wound markers from a card, or any power that require you to count how many wound markers are on a card. Seems to me it wouldn't be worth it to have to remember to reverse those powers all the time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion