Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!
Castles. How much is enough, and why?

Okay. I don't really see this subject in all my perusing of the topics. So, I'll start a new thread. Mods feel free to merge if you must.

As I look at all the wonderful pictures of the castles at Comic Con I began to think, "Man, maybe the four or five sets I had planned on isn't enough." I am now thinking I might want about 10 sets. But that's about $300 + tax. As I ponder this not insignificant amount of money I really think, "When will I ever use them?" Sure, I can build one massive castle with multiple towers and perhaps even a keep (which is what I would like to do), but WHEN would I ever really play on it. I play on average about once every other month when I visit my brother. If I had more people to play with it might justify the the expense.

I like big maps. I want to build a HUGE castle to put on a big map. I want to play a true "Battle of All Time". But, looking at my playing habits and opportunities I don't know if I can really rationalize the purchasing of 10 sets of castles.

The question to the peanut gallery is: How many castle sets and why? What do you want to accomplish with them? Will you be able to actually use them to their full potential? Other than the D/FW guys (and a spattering of others) how many of us can really claim a large enough gaming group to accomodate 5 or more castle sets?

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:48 AM

MBSowards has disabled reputation
Well, you need at least 2 or 3 for each general in play.

Spartacus is like Nike. The shoes are no better than any other, but you pay a whole lot for the name.
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:48 AM

MBSowards has disabled reputation
lol, I'm just playing, I only have one of each thing that comes out, and that will go for castles too, unless they actually make it onto shelves, in which case I'll buy two.

Spartacus is like Nike. The shoes are no better than any other, but you pay a whole lot for the name.
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
I am doing four for starters, I may go for 6 more after I see how they fit together.
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
well the castle set at gencon 05 was, i think, 6 sets (thats what i read was the reply from craig or someone else?!) I don't think i'll need that many because i have the same problem as you and i don't have anyone to play against on a regular basis and it would be pointless to get so many castle sets unless you are going to have frequent battles! I've ordered 2 castle sets just to try them out and if i think that they aren't going to form a big enough castle (or two castles if my opponent has one aswell) then i will order more unless they become scarce like many sets have in the past and atm! So 10 sets would probably be too many if your only going to play once a month with your brother but maybe you should stick with your 5 sets or maybe get and extra one if you have two castles, that way you and your opponent can have 3 sets to make castles from!
could you not just buy a couple of sets and try them out and if you feel like you need more then you can afterwards!
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
OK just to rock the boat a bit.

Last years GC display looks great, but how "playable" are giant keeps in the middle of your ramparts/walls? So you break the gate and get inside. You can climb ladders and do battle on the tops of the walls. But what about an enclosed tower 30 spaces tall? I have yet to see a ladder on the outside of a tower.

Thoughts?

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:11 AM

ishbul has disabled reputation
That tower looks impervious.
(is that a real word???)

Anyway, I can only pray that I can restrain myself to only buy 4 castle sets. 4 sounds good since you could make two nice sized castles pitted against each other or make one larger castle to seige.

Plus i dont want to buy too many castle sets this year and find out next year that they are releasing an Utgar stronghold castle set. then i would have to buy the same amount of those. It would put a real hurtin on my wallet. I've already commited to 4 hours of over time a week just to suppliment my budget so i can feed my current addiction to HS.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:20 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbul
That tower looks impervious.
(is that a real word???)

Plus i dont want to buy too many castle sets this year and find out next year that they are releasing an Utgar stronghold castle set. then i would have to buy the same amount of those. It would put a real hurtin on my wallet.
Firstly, i'm pretty sure that 'impervious' is a word.
Secondly, i have the same worry about them releasing seperate castles for the other generals as this castle set seems to come with a flag for Jandar! I'm really hoping that it comes with flags for each of the generals or just release a castle set for Utgar, as Utgar and Jandar are basically the 2 leading generals!
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I'm starting with two sets, either to build one medium castle or, more likely, two little ones at opposite ends of a map. After that, I'll see about the possibility of more, but with the design of the castles, table size becomes an issue for me (since we play weekly and leave the maps up for two or three weeks at a time and other people in my house have to use the dining room once in a while!).
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'll be sticking with my standard 4 of everything at first.

I have 6 MS so maybe I will get 6 casttles as well. It depends...
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama
Last years GC display looks great, but how "playable" are giant keeps in the middle of your ramparts/walls? So you break the gate and get inside. You can climb ladders and do battle on the tops of the walls. But what about an enclosed tower 30 spaces tall? I have yet to see a ladder on the outside of a tower.
My thoughts are similar to Hahnarama's here. The castle sets appear to be fairly hard to play and ensure game balance. They look awesome and you can build some really cool stuff with them, but you'd have to spend quite a bit of time designing scenarios to ensure game balance. Since I don't play much these days and the time I do have for HS I'd rather spend playing than trying to design balanced castle scenarios, I'm probably not going to buy any. If I had the space (which I literally don't have in this small, one bedroom condo) and I was playing a lot, I'd probably buy two.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Filbey has disabled reputation
I'm starting with 4 sets.It sounds like they will be releasing other types of castles sets.After I get them in hand though, I might buy a lot more if I like them!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion