Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Great Controversy -- or Is It Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
That, or by doing her job. Or by making sure it gets done by somebody else in a manner that satisfies the judge.
Thanks for the clarity. So she pretty much only has herself to blame for being put into custody.

~JS
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:09 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yes, precisely. If there is one thing I wish people reading this thread would understand, if they are really trying to understand what's happening here, it's the passage I quoted from Wikipedia about the Rule of Law. Once you really understand that, then you can see how ridiculous this situation is.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:17 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
That's not how I read the article, Hahma. As I understand it, the judge implied he might "cure" the contempt, or let her out of jail, if she authorized her deputies to issue certificates. She declined, though all the deputies except for her son said they would do so.

It's all very stupid. I am only following this story now because it's also absurd, and therefore entertaining. Culturally, it offers nothing, and legally, it offers nothing. Her opinion is of utterly no interest to me, and the only reason (as I said above) why I entertain myself by watching her turn on the spit of public humiliation is that, when she was confronted with her wrongness, she doubled down on it.

Let's take a moment to review this bedrock principle of modern society:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wikipedia
The rule of law is the legal principle that law should govern a nation, as opposed to being governed by arbitrary decisions of individual government officials. It primarily refers to the influence and authority of law within society, particularly as a constraint upon behavior, including behavior of government officials.
LINK

I know which article you are speaking about DS, but I was referencing (though there's 6 not 5 like I had thought) another article that said:

"The judge had told all six of the clerk's deputies, including her son, Nathan Davis, that they are free to issue licenses to all applicants while Davis is held in contempt, but would also face fines or jail if they fail to comply. After meeting with their lawyers, five of the six deputies agreed to issue the licenses. Nathan Davis was the lone holdout."

Some people are making this very political and her lawyer said;

"Today is the first time in history, an American citizen has been incarcerated for having the belief of conscience that marriage is a union of one man and one woman, and she's been ordered to stay there until she's willing to changer her conscience about what that belief is. This is unprecedented in American law."

Would this lawyer, Mike Huckabee and Rand Paul have the same opinions if the roles were reversed and the city clerk had moral objections to giving marriage licenses to Christians? I'm thinking they would be railing against the clerk that isn't doing their job.

And I agree in regards to the Rule of Law reference.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:24 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

That's some b.s. lawyer talk right there for sure. She's not being asked to change her conscience, just to do her job, or to take appropriate steps to allow someone else to do it for her.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
That's some b.s. lawyer talk right there for sure. She's not being asked to change her conscience, just to do her job, or to take appropriate steps to allow someone else to do it for her.
Yeah, you know those lawyers

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:50 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Oh, I hadn't seen that. You are right. The lawyer is, of course, wrong. People, pleading on behalf of their consciences, have gone to jail for years. It's not new. Some of them were brave and right, some stupid and wrong. She is in the latter category.

= =
Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:25 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Oh, I hadn't seen that. You are right. The lawyer is, of course, wrong. People, pleading on behalf of their consciences, have gone to jail for years. It's not new. Some of them were brave and right, some stupid and wrong. She is in the latter category.
To be fair, I doubt it's a deeply held believe on behalf of the lawyer. I imagine they're mostly trying to make an emotional plea that will gain public sympathy in order to put pressure on the judge at hand. I think they're strategically wrong, if that makes sense.

i.e. a lawyer being a lawyer.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:34 PM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

I'm not sure this is as cut and dried as everyone thinks it is. As Davis stopped issuing marriage licenses to any couple (gay or straight) I don't see the discrimination here. With no discrimination, I'm not sure how the federal government has an interest in the job performance of a Kentucky county employee. It seem that as all applicants for marriage licenses are equally inconvenienced, there are three legitimate solutions. One, vote her out in the next election. Two, impeach her. Three, bring a mandamus action in state court to compel her to do her job. If a state court orders her to perform her job and she refuses to do so, she could then be held in contempt. I don't see the federal aspect here.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ruler View Post
I'm not sure this is as cut and dried as everyone thinks it is. As Davis stopped issuing marriage licenses to any couple (gay or straight) I don't see the discrimination here. With no discrimination, I'm not sure how the federal government has an interest in the job performance of a Kentucky county employee. It seem that as all applicants for marriage licenses are equally inconvenienced, there are three legitimate solutions. One, vote her out in the next election. Two, impeach her. Three, bring a mandamus action in state court to compel her to do her job. If a state court orders her to perform her job and she refuses to do so, she could then be held in contempt. I don't see the federal aspect here.
This sounds like an argument over jurisdiction rather than guilt or innocence.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:48 PM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ruler View Post
This sounds like an argument over jurisdiction rather than guilt or innocence.
It is
Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:49 PM

Feels a bit beside the point.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:59 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

It is not the clerk's place to set policy. Whether it is discrimination or not is completely irrelevant. It is not given to her to make that decision to withhold marriage licenses from anyone, nor is it given to her to disregard a court order.

It is a battle over jurisdiction, as you say. She has far, far overreached her own, and now she is getting a civics lesson.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General