Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old November 4th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness
New York New Year Showdown! Buffalo area

NYNYS - New York New Year Showdown!

Everyone is welcome to join us in kicking off 2019 in a pure, classy style, playing Heroscape! New or rusty? We will assist players with learning the game, feel free to come!

Format:
-Pre-built 365 point armies, 20 figure limit, destroy the opposition! I can provide armies to anyone that cannot build/bring their own! All official Heroscape (including official Marvel,) and C3V/SOV approved units are allowed.

*In honor of Stan Lee, I will be bringing a loaner army that consists solely of the official Heroscape Hulk (370 points). This will be the only army allowed over the 365 point limit. Please let me know if you wish to use this army at the tournament, it will otherwise be handed out to any interested walk-ins!

-40 minute battles, 4 battles, Swiss system. Battle 4 will be reverse the whip! (In reverse the whip, you trade armies with your opponent)
*If games go to time, players finish out the in-game round, and use partial card scoring to determine the winner (if you have 3 wounds on a 6 life hero, that hero is worth half of their point cost. If 2 out of 3 squad members are destroyed, that squad is worth one-third of their point cost.)

-W/L record will be primary means of determining tourney winner, point differential will be used to break ties.

Where:
Casual Dragon Games, located at 136 Walnut St, Lockport, NY 14094

When:
Saturday, January 5th, 2019. Please plan to arrive at 1:45 PM, dice to begin rolling at 2 PM! Tourney winner announcements and prize handouts to occur between 5:15-5:30.

How much?
$3 per player. All collected money will be used as prizes - store credit/gift cards.

Prizes:
The top three players will choose from the following prize pool (winner gets first pick, 2nd place next, and 3rd place gets whatever is left)

-New in Box Spearmen and Riflemen, courtesy of Typhon2222
-Collected entry fees, probably split 60/40 into gift cards/store credit (one prize being 60% of the pooled money, the other prize being 40%)

You need:
-Bare minimum: The $3 entry fee, and a friendly, competitive attitude.
-Not necessary, but feel free to bring: Your own order markers, dice, and food*, or extra money to order food*! There are plenty of nearby stores and restaurants (Molinaro's does pizza, salad, subs, italian cuisine. Sub Delicious has subs, fries, pizza. Both are walking distance.)
*Please do not eat while playing, we strongly prefer that you eat in between games, so we minimize the chance of defacing the game pieces.

Maps/Glyphs:
-This is looking like a solid choice of maps/glyphs. Glyph names in red are power glyphs, yellow are treasure glyphs. The treasure glyph trap for every map will be the following: New Years Prank - On a treasure glyph trap roll of 1-5, your opponent may place the treasure glyph (still face down) on any empty non-molten lava space within 4 spaces of the glyph's original position.

Ticalla Sunrise by @GameBear - 1 SotM, 1 TJ. Lorja Ivor (Range +1) and Lodin (D20 +1)

Ruins of Rennoc by @Flash_19 - 1 RotV, 1 VW, 1 FotA. Gerda (Def +1), as noted in map build

Galaxian by @Typhon2222 - 1 BftU. We will be slightly modifying the map: moving two water spaces, and cutting start zone down to 20 hexes, it is the version in the image below. Wannok (Wound), Ulaniva (Unique Attack +1)

Fragment by @Dignan - 1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 TT. No power glyphs. Two random treasure glyphs will be placed close to the center of the map from the following pool: Scarab of Invulnerability (1-time ignore wound), Talisman of Defense (+1 def), Ring of Protection (1-time def +3)

Marsh Manor by @brandonwiker - 1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ. Yngvild (disengage), Kelda (1-time full heal)

Dance of the Dryads by @Typhon2222 - 1 BftU, 1 RttFF, 1 VW. Valda (move +2), Dagmar (Initiative +eight) we are adding 1 random treasure glyph on the road space in the dead center of the map from this pool: Gem of Lava Resistance (Lava Resistant), Heroic Rune (attack +1)

Attending:
-brandonwiker + 5
-Sir Dendrik + Wife

Maybe:
- + 1

Feel free to PM me or post in this thread with any questions or comments! I can also be contacted at BuffaloHeroscape@gmail.com. I also plan on taking pictures of games in progress as I get a chance to. I will be uploading those as well as a post-tourney report to this site and to FB sometime after the event.

Well, are you coming? My zombies will be waiting to feast on eyeballs and entrails

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; January 3rd, 2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Finalize
Old November 4th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: New York New Year Showdown! Buffalo area

Where is Lockport?

Old November 4th, 2018, 07:35 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Where is Lockport?
Considering coming?

If you are familiar with Buffalo and/or Rochester, it is... eh... kind of in between them, but more north. If it makes any more sense to you:
- It is about 1 hour drive west of Rochester, or
- About 30 minutes northeast of Buffalo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockport_(city),_New_York

Looks like Monticello is approximately a 5 hour drive from Lockport... bit of a stinger, but we'd be excited if you came! Feel free to invite friends, we have no problem with that.
Old November 4th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I do have a friend who lives near Buffalo (I think the town is Lancaster). Maybe I'll make the trip if I can stay over at his place.

Old November 4th, 2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
I do have a friend who lives near Buffalo (I think the town is Lancaster). Maybe I'll make the trip if I can stay over at his place.
Savage, I'm only vaguely familiar with Lancaster, but it's probably within 35 minutes of Lockport. Keep me posted. I'll put you down as a maybe and poke you sometime early December if I don't hear anything else between now and then.
Old November 17th, 2018, 04:54 PM

Made some updates to OP:

-Allowing a single army that contains official Hulk only (this is the only army that will be allowed over the 365 point limit.) I will lend this one out for use to the first person that let's me know they are interested, otherwise to a walk-in.

-Maps and glyphs are looking pretty finalized. If we stay at 6 participants, I will probably shrink this down to a pool of 4 maps in mid-late December. I will only build all 6 maps if we have 10+ confirmed attendees.

-Decided to go with partial card scoring and point differential as secondary ranking criteria.

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; November 17th, 2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old November 19th, 2018, 08:06 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

@brandonwiker , hey, THANK YOU for selecting not only Dance of the Dryads for your upcoming tourney, but also Galaxian!

This may be Galaxian's first tournament appearance ever, I think.

I tried to squeeze as much as I could out of a single BftU when making the map. I hope it plays well for you all!

As a big thank-you, I'd like to contribute a prize for your tournament: a never-opened, pristine, new-in-box Spearmen & Riflemen.

New-in-box ones like this are selling for $79 on eBay, so it should make a nice New Year's prize for someone. And if the winner doesn't need any more Yari/Harqs, he can always sell it himself.

Shoot me a message with your mailing address, and I'll put it in the mail.
Old November 19th, 2018, 08:15 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

I'd also love to hear your thoughts on the map after the tourney. And am curious, which two water spaces will you move?
Old November 19th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
@brandonwiker , hey, THANK YOU for selecting not only Dance of the Dryads for your upcoming tourney, but also Galaxian!

This may be Galaxian's first tournament appearance ever, I think.

I tried to squeeze as much as I could out of a single BftU when making the map. I hope it plays well for you all!

As a big thank-you, I'd like to contribute a prize for your tournament: a never-opened, pristine, new-in-box Spearmen & Riflemen.

New-in-box ones like this are selling for $79 on eBay, so it should make a nice New Year's prize for someone. And if the winner doesn't need any more Yari/Harqs, he can always sell it himself.

Shoot me a message with your mailing address, and I'll put it in the mail.
Wow! That's awesome that you would throw that on our prize table! Thank you!

I was staring at a few of your maps to include in our pool (another candidate was one of your maps that includes Marvel terrain, Blood Shard?)

One of the guys and myself had already played on Dance of the Dryads before, and I believe a couple of the guys in the "maybe coming" list have played it. I'm a fan, and they didn't seem to have anything negative to say about it. Here is one of my battle report posts from 2014, when I think I had first played the map. Of course the map was slightly modified because that's how we roll: Dwarves and Mok vs Snakes and Elves on Dance of the Dryads!

Here is the image of the changes we are making to Galaxian for our tourney. Cut 4 spaces out of SZ and moved the water that is to the immediate outside of each start zone toward the middle/inside glyph area, where there were once no tiles:

I can let you know what I (or anyone else that attends and has an opinion) think of the map. I'm planning on getting some sort of report posted in my battle report thread along with pictures.

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; November 19th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old November 19th, 2018, 04:22 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Put me and my wife down as a maybe. Didn't know there were scapers in Western NY!
Old November 19th, 2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Here is the image of the changes we are making to Galaxian for our tourney. Cut 4 spaces out of SZ and moved the water that is to the immediate outside of each start zone toward the middle/inside glyph area, where there were once no tiles:

I can let you know what I (or anyone else that attends and has an opinion) think of the map. I'm planning on getting some sort of report posted in my battle report thread along with pictures.
I really like those changes to Galaxian! 😎 I put those two water hexes there (just outside the SZs) purely for purposes of symmetry, but wish in retrospect that I hadn't and had instead gone with your tweak.
Old November 19th, 2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Put me and my wife down as a maybe. Didn't know there were scapers in Western NY!
Excellent, will add you to the "maybes" now. I didn't know there were scapers in Western NY, either. I really hope you can make it! My wife will be coming to play as well, if you think that would help influence your wife's decision to come

In past years, I've been consistently able to play a game every month or two with either my wife or my (now ex) brother-in-law. However, in December 2017 we started fostering two kids, and my wife just doesn't have the time or energy to play with me, and she hates it when I leave maps built on the kitchen table or in our bedroom

So, over the last 7-8 months especially, I've had to take time convincing her to let me organize small events so I can spend 5-6 hours playing scape, and it looks like she will be fine with me running these sorts of things anywhere from 1-3 times a year.

Unfortunately, I'm saddled not only with setting these events up, but also bringing anywhere from 75%-100% of the maps, armies, and accessories to my events, as most of my friends like to play Heroscape, but don't own any of it at all. So perhaps it's good that I only do this a few times at most per year, so I won't easily burn out.

Well, that was a wall of text... but luckily, I have at least one friend (and potentially another) that will be assisting with small bits of this tourney setup. We are quite excited, and I'm hoping to spread a little scape word around so we can form some sort of organized and friendly community in the Buffalo area.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events