Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old March 30th, 2007, 02:25 AM

manger has disabled reputation
Gladiators

Are there any gladiator squads or are crixus, retiarius and spartiacus the only gladiators?
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
No squads... yet

~Aldin, anticipatingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Torredo has disabled reputation
i was pondering the idea of buying the gladiators but
wasnt sure about them?

for one i didnt like the other 3 figures that came with them
so paying 18.00 for 3 gladiators just didnt add up so...

are they any good?
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Any good? It depends. In a straight up hero melee they'd be devastating. Otherwise, Spartacus it too pricey and Retarius ability is too rare to be able to use. Crixus gets a fair amount of play though.

And those three figs you don't like the look of? They're the Nakitas and a favorite of many here for their excellent army defending abilities.

~Aldin, who didn't even mention the range or bonding

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM

demon_llama has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torredo
wasnt sure about them?

are they any good?

$18.00 ?!?!? man, am i spoiled by wally world! i'm so cheep that i won't even spend $13 at K-Mart, i wait for things to show up at wal-mart for $10.

as for the gladiators, i think they rock. when used as a team, they are really effective...

...the rich
(My HEX Game Files @ http://www.scribd.com/_the_rich)
Lawton/Fort Sill Heroscape (monthly?) Tournament:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...506#post951506
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
I have my doubts about the Gladiators but I played my son last night with them in a 400 point game and won. I completely expected to lose with all the ranged combatants he had but discovered them to be a pleasant surprise. The enhanced defense Spartacus provides the other two makes them fairly resilient and able to close. Once in melee they seem to kill with almost every swing. After the other two have died Spartacus is fairly powerful clean-up unit.

Admittedly, I wouldn't have won without a bit of luck (Spartacus survived 3 barages from Omnicron Snipers) and a healing glyph (Spartacus was down to one life and my son had one Dzu-Teh left with initiative and height advantage), but I still found them better than I expected. I have no plans on using them in another 400 point game in the future but I may try them in a 600 point game with 4 sets of Roman Archers.

Old March 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
I got thrashed using an all-gladiator army earlier in the week.

I'd say that they are poor against ranged squads, but good against melee heroes.

A squad of gladiators would be most welcome.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old March 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM

manger has disabled reputation
i bought the greeks and vipers expansion because i'm an idiot and thought that gladiators were greeks. Does anyone find the sacred band worth while? they seem pretty cool after seeing the movie 300, but they seem pretty ineffective as far as 50 point squads go. Perminio (spelling?) seems to make them a bit cooler, but then you are spending 140 points on 1 squad that has a 25% chance of cheating death. I just cant seem to justify drafting them. Anyone?
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:27 PM

fejkl Woo who?
If you have Marcus, the SB's movement becomes 5. If you have an all-disciplined army, their defense becomes 3, and if Marcus is adjacent to them, their attack becomes 4. Basically, they need a lot of help, but when it's there, they have the potential to be a 5,1,4,3 squad with a 25% chance to cheat death.

That's not too bad. The only problem is that it's a bit hard to get everything just right. It does help, though, that they bond with both Marcus and Parmenio, so you don't have to spend extra turn markers on the heros like you do for Concan (enhances Knights & Sentinels).
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:38 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torredo
wasnt sure about them?

are they any good?
The other three figure that come with the galdiators rock the house! Nakitas have bad paint jobs but they are a very powerful squad.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
bare white plastic counts as a paint job?
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM

Sargent_Drake_8 has disabled reputation
Maybe by the time they got to the fourth package they were running out of money. Solution: Don't paint half the figs and raise one fig's price to twice the value.

Sarge is Torch...
aboard STARSHIP GAMMA...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units