Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old May 17th, 2019, 06:09 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Why not use the class and type of the phantom knights?

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old May 17th, 2019, 06:16 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Class Warfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
Why not use the class and type of the phantom knights?
PKs have the class of knights which fits less.

~Dysole, who spent way too long unaware Concan could boost them
Old May 18th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Kept meaning to do this but kept forgetting. to the Specters.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:06 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Cool.

Also, can I nominate a custom that isn't mine?
Oh yeah I kinda forgot to nominate lol. I'll nominate the unit tomorrow when I wake up.
Old May 19th, 2019, 12:03 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

to review the Spectres.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

The Specters of Aldorn have received 4 Yea votes to review (Scytale, superfrog, BiggaBullfrog, and capsocrates) and move forward in the process.
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:07 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Cool.

Also, can I nominate a custom that isn't mine?
Oh yeah I kinda forgot to nominate lol. I'll nominate the unit tomorrow when I wake up.
How about today? I'm interested in seeing whose unit it is!
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:42 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Rendar Fy by @capsocrates

The Mariedians have been my favorite VC faction since I first came across them. Rendar Fy comes as a new hero to the faction to add to their box of tools, but does he have what it takes to join the resistance?

Balance

Personally, I find a lot of comparisons between Rendar Fy and Kaemon Awa. For starters, their defense and health are the same. Both have a potential long range attack vs short range double attack with similar attack potential. The main difference, though, is that potential. Rendar Fy can outrange both the long and short range attacks of Kaemon Awa while still rolling 4 attack dice, but (1) gives up mobility and (2) needs height or he’s rolling half as many dice. Comparison-wise, this means that for 35 points less than Kaemon Awa you have a potentially as-good figure, but that figure is easy enough to play around to make him less-good (the mobility issue particularly hurts, though he does get help from the M-43 in that regard). This seems comparatively okay to me, but will also depend a lot on other overall playability to see where he really falls.

Theme

Rendar’s theme is perhaps the strongest point of design on the card to me. 4-defense plays off of the combat armor the figure is wearing, and the 2-attack provides a low base, but is easily boosted by the Sighting power which, along with Battle Rifle, plays right into the miniature chosen. The left-side stats of Soldier and Precise play directly into how the unit works, and being a Mariedian with M-43 synergies allows him to get movement boosts that work with his special powers. All in all everything on the card is tight and plays into itself to create a strong theme of a soldier running alongside the Resistance Fighters, getting into a defensive position to provide cover fire when his turn comes.

Creativity

Rendar brings two powers with him, one old and one new. Sighting is a classic power that has only been used on the Microcorp Agents, and its reuse here is a great callback while still providing something new on a Hero card. Battle Rifle is a new power that allows for plenty of decision-making when making a game plan with Rendar, especially with Sighting being used in conjunction. This goes into playability a bit, but overall the creativity in the combination of powers and stats allows for a figure that promotes a lot of interplay between opponents as they try to maximize or minimize Rendar Fy’s potential on the battlefield.

Playability

Rendar’s best-case scenario is obvious: sitting on high ground where opponents are forced to come to him in plain sight (of course with Rats in front if possible, but we won’t go too crazy here). When an opponent plays into Rendar’s strengths, they’re likely to have a rough time fighting him. 4 Life/Defense is decently sturdy for a ranged double-attacker, and being hit twice by attacks of 4 can put the hurt on attackers. This is the high-end of Rendar’s potential, and if it works out for a player it gets powerful.

That said, there are plenty of ways to play around Rendar’s strengths. Notably, in order to use his extra range or attack, Rendar can’t move. That means that an opponent can position figures to minimize Rendar’s effect by hiding their figures or remaining out of range of his double attack. Taking equal height to Fy is especially effective, as it halves his attack power and lessens his potential power without having to fight him directly. Also, while 4 Life/Defense is sturdy, it won’t hold up to multiple repeated attacks, and trying to bullrush Rendar in for the height/double attack power often leaves him vulnerable to being hit hard in return.

Overall Rendar Fy plays really well as an occasional hard-hitter. Relying on him too much loses position for the rest of your army or for Rendar himself as he’s forced to chase figures and move from a perch. He’s better when he can set up on the sidelines to pick of the occasional figure (such as one on a glyph) or get an unsuspecting snipe on a cheerleader. His mobility problems are helped a bit by the M-43, but the slower nature of that movement means that he won’t be overpowered by it. When endgame comes he can’t kite like you’d want out of most ranged figures, but he can take potshots while making his way to a piece of height to make a stand on when needed.

Summary

Rendar Fy provides some great utility as a ranged hero to the Mariedian faction without becoming just another ranged double-attacker. With high potential but many limitations he creates fun, interactive games with a lot of good decision-making required to play him at his best. Overall I loved his design and enjoyed the game play he provided.

I vote Yea to induct Rendar Fy into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:10 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I've seen a lot of customs in my day, and these guys rank up there with my all-time favorites. I'd like to nominate the Catalan Mercenaries, by Scytale:

They're just too cool and oozing with theme. To me they're like hired mercenary swordsmen that you pay, but as their army weakens the more they want to leave you in the dust on the battlefield. So very cool. Their stats are very strong for their price, but once you get later in the game you have good chances of losing everything. I think the balance is there, looks good to me. Sculpts are cool too, and Einar sure fits them. I love it.

There's also another figure that works with them - Rutgar Van Blum - but I think he might make the army too good. I dunno, he's 120, so maybe not. There's still a 10% chance of losing them when he's there so maybe it's fine. But, the squad is where it's at and what I'd like to nominate first for sure. (Maybe Rutgar down the road if he's wanted/needed?)

Scytale has quality customs, I've been having a blast looking through them. There were a couple others I really wanted to nominate, but I'll just stick to one for now.

So, yeah - Catalan Mercenaries!
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:45 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

This is an excellent custom, but an important part of nominating an unit to the SoV is available miniatures (for about 50 Scapers). Since these gentlemen are common you’d need around 200 copies of each figure available for sale...

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:53 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

The figures for that squad are:
Quote:
Man-at-Arms (D&D Harbinger) slightly repainted
Man-at-Arms (D&D Aberrations) slightly repainted
Mercenary Sergeant (D&D Underdark) repainted
Sword of Glory (D&D Giants of Legend) modded and repainted
So that's 2 full repaints, and a mod.

I like the card, but you are going to need to find different figures. Honestly Commons are hard to make possible. Older common designs like this just aren't going to have the quantity to be approved unless you can find different figures. I got lucky with the Specters because they are in constant production, and the biggest reason they are in constant production is because they aren't painted, so they are really cheap to produce. I've spent hours searching through Trollandtoad, MiniatureMarket, CoolStuffInc, RPGLocker, GameHaven, Ebay, and other sites trying to find figures with enough quantity to use, and it's not easy to match a figure to preexisting design. You have to get really lucky.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:55 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I am honored that you would nominate my Catalans, @Cleon . It's surprisingly uncommon for people to nominate other people's customs here, so it's an honor to get nominated. Unfortunately, they do not meet the basic guidelines for submission. I repainted and modded the figures to squadify them, which by itself disqualifies them, but even without that the squad is all long out-of-print figures that are almost impossible to find today.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs