Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Kurrok the Elementalist (no longer rampant speculation!)

So, just as many of us suspected, there's a figure coming who will have the ability to activate multiple elementals. I expected he would be able to activate two elementals, so three is a real power boost. (I was also hoping he'd have the alternative ability to activate one large elemental, so that the GIE would get the same synergy.)

Still, the ability to activate three of these guys is pretty amazing. These guys are mediocre on their own, but pretty awesome when they get three activations at once. Consider:
  • Air elementals: By putting them in strategic spots, you can grind medium melee armies (dwarves, knights, drones, etc) to a halt. Also useful as Raelin assasins.
  • Earth elementals: fairly nasty against non-flying armies that rely on adjacency. Fairly effective at dismantling a rat screen. But not as effective as...
  • Fire elementals: 14+!! Nice knowing you, Omnicron Repulsors. They're almost as efficient as the repulsors, only the power works on everything. And they have 4 atk/4 def! These guys are the powerhouse of the set, when used with Kurrok.
  • Water elementals: ummm... ok, these guys aren't that special. The occasional move of 9 is pretty sick, but hard to use on most maps. Still, 3 for 4 isn't bad.
Combine that with the fact that you bring a figure back every other turn, and these guys are SICK.Thanks to Jexik for the spot. It's one or the other - either activate Kurrok and revive, or activate three elementals. That significantly impacts the efficiency of the build, taking it down a peg or two in net power. Still, it's pretty solid.

Kurrok the Elementalist: what's your army idea?

80 Raelin RotV
100 Ana Karithon
150? Kurrok the Elementalist
60 Air Elemental x2
140 Fire Elemental x4
530, 9 hexes

Revised now that I realize Kurrok is a little less OM-efficient and will actually see some activations and move around the board:

80 Raelin RotV
150? Kurrok the Elementalist
90 Air Elemental x3
210 Fire Elemental x6
530, 11 hexes

Last edited by dok; July 7th, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Kurrok the Elementalist rampant speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Combine that with the fact that you bring a figure back every other turn, and these guys are SICK.
You don't get to summon on a turn that you use MoE. I've underlined the relevant words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by front page
SUMMON ELEMENTAL
After moving and before attacking with Kurrok the Elementalist, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, you may, if possible, place one of your previously destroyed small or medium Elementals on an empty space within 3 clear sight spaces of Kurrok the Elementalist.

MASTER OF THE ELEMENTS
After revealing an order marker on Kurrok the Elementalist, instead of taking that turn with Kurrok, you may take a turn with up to three small or medium Elementals you control that are within 8 clear sight spaces of Kurrok the Elementalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Could he be that Hobgoblin mage in 's photo?

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Could he be that Hobgoblin mage in 's photo?
That's my assumption.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

I think Repulsors still have their place against Soulborgs. 3 Fire elementals cost 105 points. Add in the cost of Kurrok and that's quite a bit more then a couple of squads of repulsors. Don't forget the lack of emp response as well which is a pretty important part of the repulsors power.

Still an army consisting of Kurrok plus as many fire elementals as you could field does seem really cool.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm all for Vydar getting some type of elemental faction, but if they keep him aside from elementals, I think Kurrok should be Vydar. Or Ullar will suit him too, but Ullar is likely to see more elementals if more types come out (away from air, earth, ice, water, fire). Electricity? Some kind of Metal thing? Plasma? We are limited to DnD sculpts though. Also, wave D2 is "Vydar Heavy." Although I think the Warforged are what they're hype-ing, there's definitely room for some more sci-fi or Vydar-fitting stuff.

I've already posted about him, but Kurrok will bring these elementals together in the competitive scene. I do hope he's lower than Kato at 200, and that the wave comes before GC.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I'm all for Vydar getting some type of elemental faction, but if they keep him aside from elementals, I think Kurrok should be Vydar. Or Ullar will suit him too, but Ullar is likely to see more elementals if more types come out (away from air, earth, ice, water, fire).
Actually, it was my understanding Aquilla was the nature general. I think this guy is going to be Aquillan.

Moving on, I think I would use him to coordinate walls of air elementals. If you were to set those things up right I think you could have a very formidable defense on your hands!

The fact that he could revive the elementals is another plus to this strategy.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This might be a suitable mini for an Elementalist?

Old February 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Water elementals: ummm... ok, these guys aren't that special. The occasional move of 9 is pretty sick, but hard to use on most maps. Still, 3 for 4 isn't bad.
Except I noticed that the Water Elemental is the only ranged elemental. I think a ranged attack of 3 (or 4) is pretty special for a 30 point figure.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Honestly, I'm not sure if I overall like Kurrok. Yes, there is an extreme lack of information, but I don't see the elementals and himself holding his own. He will be a huge target.

I do see him having a cost of around 180-200 though, sort of like Frank. With the fact he does so much, that cost will not come cheap. I also see him as being Ullar rather than any other faction. Maybe he'd be Vydar as well, since it has been stated that the next DnD wave will have more Vydar pieces, but I doubt that. Maybe he'll be an Elf Wizard? They have stated that the DnD set would also have synergy with the older figures. What better figures to have synergy with than the underplayed Elf Wizards?

Just some random thoughts...

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Yeah, the Water Elementals are surprisingly solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I'm all for Vydar getting some type of elemental faction, but if they keep him aside from elementals, I think Kurrok should be Vydar. Or Ullar will suit him too, but Ullar is likely to see more elementals if more types come out (away from air, earth, ice, water, fire).
Actually, it was my understanding Aquilla was the nature general. I think this guy is going to be Aquillan.
I could see Aquilla. Aside from working with the generals without elements, Ullar and Vydar, I guess any other general could get him (I'd maybe base him off of his sculpt too). Ullar is more nature IMO. Aquilla (yellow), being next to Ullar (green) on the color wheel is also partially natural, as is Jandar (blue), and I think of Aquilla as more of wild-natural. But that's an opinion.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion