Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old July 15th, 2016, 12:32 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
Liliana's Horde (600)

(325)Liliana Vess, Necromancer (325)

(115)Blighted Reavers

(100)Ghoul Vanguard

(60)Restless Zombies

Cards:

(25)Crippling Blight
(25)Altar's Reap
(25)Rise of the Dark Realms
(20)Ever After
(15)Strangling Soot
(15)Duress
(15)Dark Harvest
(15)Behold the Beyond
(10)Corrupt
(10)Bone Splinters
(10)Corpse Lunge
(5) Barter in Blood

This squad is pretty solid and oozing with synergy.
-Liliana herself. Positioning her a in the back lines of your Zombie Horde, but close enough to make use of that defense buff, A 2nd dice for the RZs makes a bigger difference than you'd guess. Snuff Out is incredibly powerful. Corrupt + Snuff out is super cheesy. Be careful with Corpse Lunge unless you have Corrupt/Altar's Reap in hand. It can be an extremely powerful spell for bursting down an important fig for the enemy's squad though.

-The Ghoul Vanguard is AoTP's first instance of 'Bonding' and it's actually even better! This ability is -awesome-. In the early game while jousting for position you can use his turn to slingshot a Restless Zombie (RZ) ahead to a Glyph while also giving him the opportunity for a targeted attack. In the midgame you can bond him with a Reaver to rush up and make a huge attack on a debuffed creature. Be sure to carefully consider when you want to split attacks with his bonding vs focus fire. If the Bonded Zombie just wounds a Squad Creature, but you're pretty sure they are not going to use that squad next turn, consider splitting attacks and using Snuff Out to finish the squad. He's also capable of getting some serious snowball action going if you're able to trigger Wake the Dead a couple of times.

-The Reavers are your all-around workhorse. The -2 DEF debuff is very powerful so pay close attention to your positioning. Dark Harvest and/or Duress can buff these guys nicely. If you stick Dark Harvest into Rise of the Dark Realms you're left with a 3 figure 6 ATK squad that debuffs for -2 DEF, definitely a force to be reckoned with. Do not be afraid to dump a Reaver to Altar's Reap if Lili is looking low, because of the adjacency clause you're not always going to be able to have an RZ near enough.

-Restless Zombies - These guys are blockers and glyph takers primarily. There are situations where using Dark Harvest on them is the right move and they can make some really big alpha-strikes. Don't forget you can attack your own figures! Sometimes the right move is to Corrupt or Attack that last Zombie in the squad in order to trigger the D20 roll for rez.

Overall Strengths:
+Synergy! Lili's DEF bonus, Reaver's DEF debuff, Ghoul's bonding
+Great Cards in the deck that open up very powerful plays
+Multiple Activations are powerful

Overall Weaknesses:
-Liliana has high health but low DEF, susceptible to burst attacks
-Lack of Ranged units. Only Liliana has range, but as noted above it's dangerous to push with her.
Old July 15th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Liliana's Horde (600)

I play Liliana almost exclusively.

Solid assessment. The main thing to remember is not to get too close to the Blighted Reavers(the Stinkers, as I call them) as Lil can be de-buffed.

The fact that Black got completely hosed by getting half as many cards as the more powerful Red, White and Blue is not very cool. The lack of any good cards to buff your Vanguard(besides Corpse Lounge) makes the Hero Zombie a little less appealing.

I am still trying to get my strategy solid.

You did not mention that the Vanguard can create new Zombies. These are great for sacrificing for Healing or Bone Splinters ect.

I think Lil is good one on one but not so good in a 3 way match or team game.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 15th, 2016, 09:44 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Solid assessment. The main thing to remember is not to get too close to the Blighted Reavers(the Stinkers, as I call them) as Lil can be de-buffed.

(snip)

You did not mention that the Vanguard can create new Zombies. These are great for sacrificing for Healing or Bone Splinters ect.
Actually, you're in luck! Planeswalkers are not creatures, only Squads and Heroes! No debuff for Lili, or your opponent's PW for that matter.

I touched briefly on the Zombification ability of the Vanguard, but was a little roundabout with it. The comment about how his 'bonding' is better than the HS version was because it can activate the rezzed Zombies OR your army figures. Also 'Wake the Dead' is the name of the ability that raises the Zombies that I was referring to in the snowball comment

I'd definitely agree about her being iffy in a FFA but in a 2v2 she can be quite devastating as long as your teammate has enough ranged units. Positioning the Reavers well for your teammate's squads to make use of the -2 DEF debuff can really do some damage to enemy squads in a hurry.
Old July 15th, 2016, 11:42 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Kajoq is correct, planeswalkers are classified as planeswalkers, and all others(heroes, and squads) are classified as creatures. Great thread, I would change the thread name to 600pt AOTP deckbuilding or something so people can add what they like to run.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 15th, 2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@Kajoq is correct, planeswalkers are classified as planeswalkers, and all others(heroes, and squads) are classified as creatures. Great thread, I would change the thread name to 600pt AOTP deckbuilding or something so people can add what they like to run.
Thanks!

I figured since we had our own broken out forum for 'Competitive Armies Discussion' It was well suited for individual threads for a team (or user).

It makes it a little easier to browse than having to dig through a 40-50 page thread down the road where all of the cool content is buried sporadically between pages 18-32 and keeps the discussion on topic of that particular team.
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:14 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I totally missed the creature reference. Thanks.

The other Planeswalkers will appreciate that also.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 15th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Thanks!

I figured since we had our own broken out forum for 'Competitive Armies Discussion' It was well suited for individual threads for a team (or user).

It makes it a little easier to browse than having to dig through a 40-50 page thread down the road where all of the cool content is buried sporadically between pages 18-32 and keeps the discussion on topic of that particular team.
Agreed. If other users want to share their army lists, then they can create their own thread. I very much dislike scrolling through dozens of pages to see individual ideas.
Makes searching for a topic easier too.

I especially like the spell list. Nice break down as well.
Old July 15th, 2016, 11:01 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks for sharing this army @Kajoq . I am not very good at AotP yet and this type of thread will surely help. I would love to see more people post their armies too.

I'm hoping that someone will share their thoughts on Nissa, and maybe even share a good green army build. Is she any good. I was saving her for last, thinking that I might like her best. I plan on playing my first game with her this weekend. I don't yet have the latest expansion and whatever it brings to green, either.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 16th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Are there any 'explosion attacks' in AotP?
I am thinking I will try bunching them up next time.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:00 AM

mistercharlie is surprisingly tart

Thanks for posting this I am teaching my wife how to play and she LOVES the Liliana character, but doesn't fully understand deck/army building yet. This saves me the trouble of having to build one for her.
Old October 15th, 2016, 11:31 AM

Trønderfury is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Corrupt is really sweet with her abillity too kill any squad creature that has a damage marker on it. I usually save it for a kessig ranger or other strong squads like leyline phantoms etc.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:57 PM

TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker TheEpicAlpaca knows what's in an order marker

@Kajoq Just finished a game playing this army against Kiora, Earth Elementals and Eldrazi Ruiner.

I positioned Liliana behind all my figures to grant them the def bonus which helped against the onslaught of the Elemental's. The Vanguard was able to kill one Elemental in order to transform it to a Zombie but unfortunately got targeted heavily by Kiora and went down early. The Eldrazi got summoned and actually took out the entire restless zombie squad, only to be revived next turn. The spell deck synergize's really well with the army and the Eldrazi went down rather quickly. From then it was healing on Liliana and boosting the restless zombies with Dark Harvest to finished off a wounded Kiora.
Army and deck work good and army is super fun.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Competitive Armies Discussion