Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old December 15th, 2019, 06:18 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed at how easy it is for the Rouge to get his back stab bonus in 5e. That and the bonus dash the rouges also get allowing them to move faster than everyone else are the only real complaint I have thus far about the new system. Rogues hit harder and more consistently then fighters, and a Halfling rogue can double move for 50', then attack, while human fighters can only move 30' and attack. As far as mini positioning, AoE spells are easier to track and quantify for sure. Since I have the 3-D terrain that I try to use, partial and full cover rules have come into play here and there too.
Old December 15th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I was a halfling rogue in the first campaign we played and I liked playing him. But he was less tanky by far than our ranger and fighter. And the ranger and fighter were nasty with range. Our wizard was squishy but had some good spells. We only played to level 3 or something like that as it was a short campaign.

Now I'm a dwarf druid and really enjoyed playing him. I'm at 5th level. Cool spells and being that I'm the moon whatever druid, I get to change into beast form easily and kick butt as a bear. Though I've been a cat and a rat for stealth purposes and a horse for other purposes.

I like him better than the rogue.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 15th, 2019, 06:56 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yeah, the way you can specialize within the classes is cool. That druid one you picked appealed to me as well. Sounds fun being able to go beast mode in combat like that. Do you have a bear mini you swap out then? Most of the classes get more interesting at the middle levels.
Old December 15th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

We don't use minis. It's all role playing. I would love to use minis, but it's not an option at this point with our group.

Old December 15th, 2019, 07:22 PM
C3G Landlord

Ahh, okay. I actually picked up a tube of animal minis at Hobby Lobby recently so I could have some generic animal figures. Bear, Gorilla, Tiger, Elephant, Hippo, Crocodile, Lion, Rhino, Panther, & Giraffe. Pretty good deal, although the Elephant is a little too small.
Old December 26th, 2019, 07:32 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

CHRISTMAS AS DARTH VADER!

Thanks guys! We came eventually to the same conclusion on a rule for Star Wars Rebellion, but the rules could be clearer in several places. We spend ten hours and had a great time learning, relearning, and playing!

Actually I'd played 3 times previously, but never owned the game and rules to really study them. I played twice when the game first came out, losing with both sides. Then this year I lost again as the Rebels. When I teach new players, I'll really get into the rules for Changing the Rebel Base, which no one did for me!

For those of you who know the game, for this "First Game of the New Era" we used the Canned Set Up, no Expansion (which I do have), and I played the Empire. The Rebels changed base twice, and the Death Star blew up one planet (Naboo). The Rebels had a Shield Generator and an Ion Cannon plus a few troops, and I failed on my mission to find out if it was the Rebel Base. So although I didn't think it was there, I did it for Revenge!

PS: A pal was clearing out games he didn't get around to playing; so I got his for $20, and then payed $30 for the expansion, and watched Rogue One again for free on my cable service on my big screen TV. I'd only seen it before on a tiny airplane screen.

The postscript is that the guy I was playing with was my Canadian pal who only visits once or twice a year, but has a pal back in Calgary who owns the game but hasn't played it much. Also, I'm scheduled to play it again this week with the original owner, who also only comes calling once or twice a year! Very nice.
Old December 26th, 2019, 10:58 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I've messed up the base evacuation card too. I rarely end up ever using it, but when I do I get the timing all wrong.
Old December 26th, 2019, 03:38 PM
C3G Landlord

Sounds like you had a blast! The base evacuation move can sometimes be very helpful, and other time not very useful at all. Depends on how many (and which) planets are still available for you to flee to. If you can flee to the other side of the board when a single Death Star is in play, then it's very difficult for the Death Star to chase you down. I've been cornered and had no where good to go to though as well, only moving a few planets away and just delaying it's destruction at best. As the Empire, I try to get two Death Star's in play if I can and have one on each side of the board. Then it's easier to have one in close proximity once you find the base, and still have one close by if it flees to a new location.
Old December 29th, 2019, 11:25 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I stuck Tiny Epic Tactics, 5 Minute Dungeon, and One Deck Dungeon under the tree this year for "the family" (of course, they're really mine...).

Haven't played TET yet, but 5 Minute Dungeons got some play while my family was in town. My 6yo and I have played it solo a bit and my wife even joined us this weekend. Neat game with a frantic pace. Long-term replayability isn't that high, but it's also not that kind of game. Basically you have 5 minutes (in real life) to beat all the cards in the dungeon deck and also defeat the boss waiting at the bottom of the deck. If you do it in time, you can reset the dungeon deck according to the next boss and then try to beat the next one. There are 5 bosses, so the game should take 30-60 minutes (depending on how long it takes you to reset the round) if you want to beat all 5 in one go. However, if you lose to a boss you have to go back to the beginning (they are in a specific order). I'd take this one over Munchkin any day of the week, although the co-op nature of it will leave some with mixed feelings.

Tried One Deck Dungeon for the first time today. It's kind of like a non-time-based version of 5MD where you roll dice and gain "loot" (items, skills, potions, or XP) from each monster in the dungeon deck that you defeat. Although there is no real-life-timer for this one, the deck itself is a timer--once it runs out and you reach the stairs at the bottom, you start taking damage whenever time is supposed to pass. You want to get to the bottom by passing as little time as possible, because time is measured by discarding cards from the deck--the more cards are discarded, the fewer chances you had to get loot from that floor of the dungeon. Once you reach the stairs (and decide to descend them) you shuffle the discard pile and reset it. There's plenty of cards and lots of time passes (you discard two cards, minimum, per team turn) so for the subsequent floors there's still plenty of cards. Each floor of the dungeon has global effects (that stack with those from the previous floor) to make things progressively harder. You don't face the cards in the dungeon deck one at a time; rather, you and your teammate(s) choose to either fill all of the open door slots with face-down cards (there are four slots for doors to go in) or enter one of the rooms by turning over a face-down card or dealing with a face-up card that you fled from before.
I probably described that in a confusing order. Seems like a neat game so far. We only did one floor because it was our first time playing, but I'm looking forward to finishing it up with the 6yo tomorrow. I'm already considering the expansion to add support for up to 4 players (with one set you can only do 1-2 players).

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 29th, 2019, 11:30 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Sat. Dec. 21: C&C Napoleonics, 2 Mockerns--French vs Russians, French vs Prussians (2 Player)

Sun. Dec. 22: Received, Inventoried, and Prepped Mezo. Glued (mounted) many new ship models for Red Alert, and a few other old game pieces for Firefly and Star Trek Ascendancy that had come apart.

Mon. Dec. 23 First game of Mezo (3 Player) Loved it!

Tues. Dec. 24 (68th Birthday) Rurik: Dawn of Kiev (3 Player)

Wed. Dec. 25 (Christmas as Darth Vader) Star Wars Rebellion (2 Player)

Th. Dec. 26 Lift Off (First play; 3 Player)

Fri. Dec. 27 Star Wars Rebellion (2 Player) First win; as Rebels!

Sat. Dec. 28 Mezo (Full 5 Player), Nanty Narking We used different gods from first game; still have 4 more of 12 to try out!

Sun. Dec. 29 Star Wars Rebellion (2 Player), Nanty Narking With George The Firefly Guy, the pal who sold SWR to me--thanks, buddy! First win with the Empire (The stars were right).

Mon. Jan. 30 Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare with a new buddy, and Undaunted Normandy, which he brought along to show me. And it turns out, he's also a Scaper!

If you count one heavy prep day, that's 10 straight days of gaming, a new record for me for sure! Whew. Happy New Year to all!

Last edited by chas; December 31st, 2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old January 1st, 2020, 10:52 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Matthias' annual What did you play last year? As always please note I am not a Euro player, occasionally I get roped it but it's usually because I've lost a bet of some sort. I play a lot of solo games but also play a lot with my kids. I do have a game group but we only meet once a month. I do get to play with buddies here and there but with 6 kids, an on call 24/7 job it's tough to line up schedules with others super often.

1. LotR: LCG (94 plays) I still love this game. I'm not sure what the future holds but I have enough stuff to last a lifetime. Con of the Rings has been super enjoyable the last 2 years I've gone. I even took my oldest with me this year.
2. Pathfinder ACG (71) I enjoy the 2nd edition even more than the first. So much content in the box and replay ability.
3. Israeli Air Force Leader (65) This was my first year with the Leader series from DVG. I was always hesitant because it didn't have any minis. I finally made the jump and it's been great. I love that IAL goes all the way back to WWII.
4. Hornet Leader (53) Similar to IAL, except this bring backs memories of the movie Top Gun and dog fighting enemy Migs.
5. Heroscape (29) Still my favorite game of all time!
5. Magic the Gathering (29) Not really a fan any more but my kids still like it so...
7. Joan of Arc (25) My favorite game of last year! The only reason it doesn't have more plays is it's a bit tedious to set up and tear down.
7. Journey's in Middle Earth (25) The more I played this the more I realized I don't like the card flipping for skill checks ala Gloomhaven.
9. Maximum Apocalypse (17) Lots of replay ability with all the different heroes and apocalypse's you can play.
10. Warfighter (16) Another DVG game. I enjoy the customizing of your soldiers and the many different objectives you can play.
11. Hexplore It (13) Once again I was leery of this game because there weren't really any minis and it seemed more RPGish. I wish I would have jumped into this when it first came out. It's just the right mix of adventure, RPG light, and leveling up for me. The only negative is that there is no campaign system. The amount of combinations you have access to is astronomical. My last game I was a Spiderkin Divine One trying to protect Raider30's Grey Dwarf Berserker. We died trying to free a city from an army of storm wolves. Great times!
11. Street Masters (13) I'm an old school Final Fight guy and this game fits that theme perfectly. I also backed the next two in the series (Altar Quest and Hour of Need)

8 plays each
Set a Watch

7 plays each
Mage Knight
Descent

5 plays each
Spyfall
Oregon Trail
Fairy Tile

4 plays each
Clank
Hero Realms
Zombie Dice
Cloudspire

3 plays each
Fairy Tale
Batman Love Letter

2 plays each
Sherman Leader
Marvel Champions
Dominion
Dice Throne
Forbidden Island
Folklore
Aeon's End
Epic
Keyforge
Dungeon Mayhem
Marvel Codenames
Set
Guess Who

1 play each
Carcassonne
David and Goliath
Sheriff of Nottingham
Pass the Pigs
Clue
Battle Cry
Fate of the Norns
Marvel Legendary
Batman Gotham Chronicles
Myth
Yggdrasil
Ashes
Dozen's Doughnuts
Qwirkle
King of Tokyo
Checkers
Gruff
Aventuria

58 different games 557 plays. A little less than I like but Adulting sucks sometimes...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; January 1st, 2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old January 1st, 2020, 11:20 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Matthias' annual What did you play last year? As always please note I am not a Euro player, occasionally I get roped it but it's usually because I've lost a bet of some sort. I play a lot of solo games but also play a lot with my kids. I do have a game group but we only meet once a month. I do get to play with buddies here and there but with 6 kids, an on call 24/7 job it's tough to line up schedules with others super often.

1. LotR: LCG (94 plays) I still love this game. I'm not sure what the future holds but I have enough stuff to last a lifetime. Con of the Rings has been super enjoyable the last 2 years I've gone. I even took my oldest with me this year.
2. Pathfinder ACG (71) I enjoy the 2nd edition even more than the first. So much content in the box and replay ability.
3. Israeli Air Force Leader (65) This was my first year with the Leader series from DVG. I was always hesitant because it didn't have any minis. I finally made the jump and it's been great. I love that IAL goes all the way back to WWII.
4. Hornet Leader (53) Similar to IAL, except this bring backs memories of the movie Top Gun and dog fighting enemy Migs.
5. Heroscape (29) Still my favorite game of all time!
5. Magic the Gathering (29) Not really a fan any more but my kids still like it so...
7. Joan of Arc (25) My favorite game of last year! The only reason it doesn't have more plays is it's a bit tedious to set up and tear down.
7. Journey's in Middle Earth (25) The more I played this the more I realized I don't like the card flipping for skill checks ala Gloomhaven.
9. Maximum Apocalypse (17) Lots of replay ability with all the different heroes and apocalypse's you can play.
10. Warfighter (16) Another DVG game. I enjoy the customizing of your soldiers and the many different objectives you can play.
11. Hexplore It (13) Once again I was leery of this game because there weren't really any minis and it seemed more RPGish. I wish I would have jumped into this when it first came out. It's just the right mix of adventure, RPG light, and leveling up for me. The only negative is that there is no campaign system.. The amount of combinations you have access to is astronomical. My last game I was a Spiderkin Divine One trying to protect Raider30's Grey Dwarf Berserker. We died trying to free a city from an army of storm wolves. Great times!
11 Street Masters (11) I'm an old school Final Fight guy and this game fits that theme perfectly. I also backed the next two in the series (Altar Quest and Hour of Need)

8 plays each
Set a Watch

7 plays each
Mage Knight
Descent

5 plays each
Spyfall
Oregon Trail
Fairy Tile

4 plays each
Clank
Hero Realms
Zombie Dice
Cloudspire

3 plays each
Fairy Tale
Batman Love Letter

2 plays each
Sherman Leader
Marvel Champions
Dominion
Dice Throne
Forbidden Island
Folklore
Aeon's End
Epic
Keyforge
Dungeon Mayhem
Marvel Codenames
Set
Guess Who

1 play each
Carcassonne
David and Goliath
Sheriff of Nottingham
Pass the Pigs
Clue
Battle Cry
Fate of the Norns
Marvel Legendary
Batman Gotham Chronicles
Myth
Yggdrasil
Ashes
Dozen's Doughnuts
Qwirkle
King of Tokyo
Checkers
Gruff
Aventuria

58 different games 557 plays. A little less than I like but Adulting sucks sometimes...
I feel bad for your lack of game play.....NOT! You get a lot more played than most people in the world I suspect.

And miniatures games only count if the minis are painted, otherwise they might was well be cardboard chit or standies

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games