Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Maps & Scenarios
Marvel Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios built primarily for Marvel terrain and figures.

Notices

Old March 21st, 2014, 06:56 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The Infinity Gauntlet

SCRAMBLED SCAPE: PROGRESS REPORT AND AN INVITATION TO POST HERE

Two of the three other players have also now sent me their teams, so only one remains to be submitted. I'll probably post all materials relating the the resulting game here, such as the teams used, a battle report, etc., so that they can be easily found in one place.

"Never mix; never worry!"
--Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (play and movie)

That famous line is referring to alcohol, but many also don't mix their Scapes! So if you also have any experiences scrambling Supers from different designers, or mixing Supers and Classic (or Classic/VC), or both, I'd be interested to hear about them here as well. I'm especially keen to know about the part of that experience that was different because you mixed designs or types! This would include any playing procedures you evolved along the way.

This game is ground breaking for our group in several ways: using some of the new C3G Twelve Days of Christmas 2013 cards (Thanos, the Gauntlet and the Gems) and playing them in a scenario they were clearly designed for, mixing different Scape designs and types, and having a player not usually into Supers at all who has much to offer really join fully into the spirit of the thing.

So The New York City Gang of Four continues to push our own individual envelope, even with one of our members now living out of the area. If you're ever in New York, make arrangements to come play with us in our monthly game, which continues rotating Game Masters among our members, with all kinds of different Scape resulting!

Your Pal In Brooklyn, USA
Chas

Last edited by chas; March 21st, 2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

The Gang of Four is playing chas'
The Infinity Gauntlet on April 9th. This will be a Supers game, with units draftable from all of C3G, all of Sherman Davies' Supers, and chas' Quickscan Master Lists, which contain over 650 cards, most of which chas claims to have played at least once! From The Infinity Gauntlet:

This will be my very first "UNRESTRICTED" supers scenario, in that it not only mixes Supers with Classic/Custom Scape, but also allows supers from various sources. The idea is not that players have to flip through thousands of cards to make the best possible unit selections (although they can), but to be able to play some of their favorites by using cards available from the site or from my own very large private collection (see Chas Quickscan Master Lists in Custom Comic Creations).

I'm balancing this by having a known major villain the other (2-4) players can build against, and structuring the teams to limited guidelines.

Each army totals 2,000 points in 24 spaces. The Thanos player may only use Evil figures. "Evil" is defined as Supervillains or Classic/VC army cards working for Utgar or Valkrill. (There are a few cards that I allow either side to use, such as Civilians, Bad Cops, and J. Jonah Jameson).

All other players may use both Good and Evil figures. Each army may be composed of one A Character (351-500 points), one B Character (241-350 points) three C Characters (201-240 points) and the rest D Characters (Up to 200 points). 'Characters' while usually Unique Heroes, may also be any type of army cards such as Uncommon or Common Heroes or Unique or Common Squads, as usual. Note that these are maximum strengths; you can take more characters/cards of lesser point values if you like. Supers can come from the DC, Marvel or other "Universes."

Supers: Superheroes, supervillains and their related support figures may be drawn from three sources:

1. C3G Customs
2. Sherman Davies Customs
3. The Chas Quickscan Master Lists (two lists; Heroes and Villains) These lists include all Chas customs, and also duplicate many C3G and Sherman Davies customs, as well as those from many independent designers; all have been approved as reasonably play balanced and costed (by Chas).

Classic Heroscape: All Classic and VC custom characters are eligible.

chas, having already constructed his army,suggested that we submit our teams for his approval early, as no duplicate heroes would be permitted, and to ensure that they were built according to the scenario's conditions. As a result, Taeblewalker and I have already submitted our armies.
As chas' Quickscan Master Lists contain no links, I thought it safe to use A - Z Of Custom Created SuperHeroes (Comics, Cartoons, etc.). I was mistaken. chas emailed me, and told me I had chosen 2 GreyOwl cards, which he generally considers to be too strong or under priced to mix with C3G, etc.. I also chose a Troll Warrior card with which chas was unfamiliar. Rather than have me rebuild (constructing my army had taken most of a day ), chas determined that the cards I had chosen were not egregiously overpowered, and chose to allow my army, which appears in the spoiler below.
Spoiler Alert!

The potential for game breaking unbalance, not just with my army, but in general, was a real concern to me, given that Supers cards are generally designed to be compatible with only their own creators', and/or, in many cases, C3G's, cards. But I concluded that the political aspects of this particular game, where chas' army is advantaged from the get-go by possession of the Infinity Gauntlet, and that it is a 4-Player Free-For-All (FFA), amply mitigate this issue. In fact, I figure that a FFA format is the format for mixing Supers from different designers in a single game for just this reason.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 23rd, 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:03 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The Infinity Gauntlet map is now up on my table, having been free built, and so I have added a new description of it to the OP scenario description above.

I have followed a past practice and include different sections with their own unique individual combinations of terrain, all together representing almost every type available. In addition, I have added a few specialized terrain effects as noted there. Some of these effects date back to when the game was first published and I was experimenting with the different major color types which had no specialized functions such as sand and rock.

Photos of the map and game will eventually follow, but this is the description emailed to the three players--now two days before the game is to be played. The Infinity Gem Glyphs have been randomly placed as well in various sections as mentioned where they are the most difficult to reach by movement. Each start zone is closer to a couple than others, perhaps 7-8 hexes away from the nearest ones as the crow flies.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:48 AM

*ARMIES FOR THE INFINITY GAUNTLET*

The many allowed sources for Supers cards made this a unique type of scenario in that aspect alone! The 'Mixed Supers' idea was not that players would have to look at hundreds of cards--although I had during my Great Card Hunt last year, when I made up huge hard copy files of Supers cards, based on a week long search of the site and later updates as new cards came out. Rather the idea was that almost any character in the comics would be available to play, so that anyone could use their favorite heroes and villains. In this way I've tried to recreate the Marvel/DC/Independent comic book world for my players, as much as possible. There are still dozens of character missing, a few of which I made custom cards for myself (see my own low tech supers custom thread), or asked Sherman Davies to make up for me (Sabra and Validus come to mind; see his DC and Marvel custom threads).

Along the way, now with almost 1,000 Super Scape cards in my Heroes and Villains files--these lists of characters with their points and sources are available onsite for your perusal, although the cards are not, and you'd have to find them yourself with this info to go on--I've got a few weird and possibly unbalanced ones I probably wouldn't put into a competitive game but save for solitaire madness or a special type of scenario, no players chose any card for TIG that was actually rejected by me as GM (for being possibly too unbalanced or untested). There could also easily have been one or two duplicate requests for particular characters, but this did not happen either. Well, there are lots to choose from, and everyone has their own favorites. So the Mixed Supers concept seems to be valid from that point of view as well. Note that the MS concept also allows Classic and VC Scape cards in the mix as well! Which is also working just fine for us so far.

This is being written as the same players build their teams for the sequel game. None of us are allowed to use any of the same characters/cards, so it will be another interesting exercise in both trying to win a specific scenario and using the Mixed Supers (many eligible sources) concept.

All comments and questions are welcome, and of course the players are welcome to chime in as well, although now its been 3 1/2 months since this first TIG game! I'll try to put together a bit of a battle report as well on this game, as memory allows.

Format: Name, Points, Spaces, Character Class, (Source)

Team Thanos (Chas)

Thanos 500 1 A (C3G)
Professor Zoom 250 1 B (C3G)
Crimson Dynamo 230 1 C (Matt Helm)
Green Goblin 230 1 C (C3G)
Parasite 240 1 C (C3G)
Space Phantom 160 1 D (Drewmanchu)
Mystique 165 1 D (C3G)
A.I.M. Medics (3 Figs) 100 3 D (Grey Owl)
Pied Piper + 4 Rats 120 5 (C3G)
TOTAL: 1,995 Pts/15 Sp

Team Kolakoski

Loki 350 1 A (Troll Hunter)
Brainiac 330 1 B (Sherman Davies)
Captain America 240 1 (C3G)
Silver Samurai 240 1 (C3G)
Joker 190 1 D (C3G)
Black Widow 180 1 D (Grey Owl)
Nick Fury 180 1 (Grey Owl)
Sergeant Rock 120 1 D (Sherman Davies)
Fire 130 1 D (Sherman Davies)
Amanda Waller 30 1 D (Sherman Davies)
Skrull Infiltrator 10 1 D (C3G)
TOTAL: 2,000 Pts/11 Sp

Team Taeblewalker

The Thing 325 B 1 (C3G)
She Hulk 310 B 1 (C3G)
Mr. Fantastic 235 C 1 (C3G)
Invisible Woman 215 1 (C3G)
Human Torch 225 1 C (C3G)
Batman 200 1 D (C3G)
Robin 100 1 D (C3G)
Cyborg 200 1 D (C3G)
Raven 190 1 D (C3G)
TOTAL: 2,000 Pts/9 Sp

Team Sherman Davies

Superman 370 1 A (Sherman Davies)
Flash 310 1 B (SD)
Colossus 240 1 C (SD)
Cyclops 200 1 D (SD)
Wolverine 200 1 D (SD)
Spiderman 190 1 D (SD)
Nightcrawler 160 1 D (SD)
Minions of Utgar x3 330 9 D (Classic)
2,000 Pts/16 Sp

Team Building Comments:

Team Thanos
I chose my team "Strategically" (to win this particular scenario) rather than "Tactically" (Best Team Bonding/Synergy/Order Marker Management). Professor Zoom (since I was limited to Bad Guys) should be particularly useful in gathering up Gems, but would need to be given the Gauntlet for that. Space Phantom was the "unknown wildcard" with his teleporting, which I knew would be the most unfamiliar to the other players--MwaHaHa! Dynamo and Goblin are mobile flyers. Parasite would defend the central start zone. Mystique, like Dynamo, would be sent off to hold distant areas, so my many enemies wouldn't know where Thanos (or Zoom) was headed. Two sets of order markers should expedite this. The Medics can heal back at the center. Piper and Rats would tie powerful figures down and delay them there if they came for me. I wasn't really planning to hold the center as such, it was a diversion, but i figured they would try to defeat me there, although most of the real action would be at the distant gem locations! At least, that is the plan!

Team Kolakoski
K. always chooses his armies with great care and cleverness. In this case he used various characters with personalities that would allow all kinds superior of bonding and synergy among his team members. He crossed all kinds of sources with each other, taking full advantage of the many sources allowed, including Grey Owl. I allowed this, given his effort--and heck, my AIM Medics were Grey Owl also.

Team Taeblewalker
Using all C3Gs for maximum team bonding and synergy in teams that usually fought together in the comics--FF, Teen Titans, plus Batman and Robin. Interesting.

Team Sherman Davies
SD uses his own cards, which he knows so well! Power to the max plus team synergy, and even some Classic Scape Squads for good measure. Cool.

General 'Mixed Supers' Team Building and Play Testing of the Scenario

After the game, we commented on the mixed supers concept, and the scenario team requirements. Mixed Supers worked just fine, although it was initially a controversial concept that I've been working on introducing for a couple of years now. So it was very satisfying to get it going on the table! We NYC Gang of Four members, all older experienced players, used the concept in different ways, as you can see, and the rule allowed all of us the kind of creative freedom I had envisioned.

As for the scenario itself, I went for it when C3G did a Thanos this year I could get behind--I never liked the unlimited resurrection of the Official Marvelscape Thanos in a game environment) with a Gauntlet and the Gems ready to rock. The concept is timely now also as the Marvel Universe Movies (Part 2) head toward this theme of The Infinity Gauntlet as well. (Note: I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, where Thanos appears, and the actor showed up at the LA Comic Con 2014 Panel wearing the Gauntlet too, in anticipation of future cinematic fulfillment)! I had already cut down the original point totals allowed to teams, not wanting to be too grandiose and making the game length too long. However, I still overestimated a bit, and some figures didn't get out of their start zones and into the game. For the sequel, we'll cut 2,000 points down to 1,500. (See thread "TIG2: The March of Conquest").

Last edited by chas; August 11th, 2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old August 25th, 2014, 09:22 AM

For more detailed Battle Reports of this scenario as played, see Comic Hero Custom Creations section/The Infinity Gauntlet: Who Will Win (thread by Kolakoski).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Maps & Scenarios