Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

View Poll Results: Choose the Top 3 Man-Eaters.
Jungle Beast 1 3.70%
Romitaen'c 1 3.70%
Manticore (Relentless Aquillan Predator) 1 3.70%
Manticore (Einarian Predator) 2 7.41%
Ol' Scratch 1 3.70%
Manticore (Utgarian Beast) 1 3.70%
Manticore (Valkrillian Marauder 2 7.41%
Akul 3 11.11%
Manticore (Utgarian Devourer) 0 0%
Crimson Manticore 6 22.22%
Tarkus 7 25.93%
Manticore (Aquillan Beast) 0 0%
Madyakhor 1 3.70%
Manticore (Valkrillian Predator) 0 0%
Manticore (Ferocious Aquillan Predator) 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 19th, 2017, 02:18 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
December Custom Contest Poll - CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DEWK

CONGRATS DEWK! If Y'all are interested in who did all the entries, just be patient, they'll be up in a day or few.

The entries have rolled in, as expected. However, more entries than ever before rolled it! We got 19 entries, more than 10 more than we've ever had (with the previous record being 8, if memory serves). Woo-hoo! In any case, that means the competition should be fierce this time around, just like many of your manticores.

Please select up to 3 of your favorites, and feel free to post explanations for why you did or didn't vote for some. You can even post your complaints about which ones didn't make it into the top 15 (as 4 still needed to be cut).

Also remember that if you are one of the finalists you must vote, but cannot vote for your own creation (I know, I know. It's blatantly superior to all the others. Get over it).

So, without further ado, here are the finalists, in no particular order (I will try to add synergy lists to each of them in the next few days):

#1 The Dewk's Tarkus

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

#2 DewNoHarm's Crimson Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

WarBeast's Jungle Beast

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Toogwick_tuk's Romitaen'c

Synergies: N/A
Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Taeblewalker's Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Scytale's Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Sam's Ol' Scratch

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

ObfuscatedHippo's Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

NecroBlade's Manticore

Synergies: N/A
Logical Explanation:
Spoiler Alert!

Lazy Orang's Akul

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

flameslayer93's Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Confred's Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

capsocrates' Madyakhor

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Astroking112's Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

aksisu11's Manticore

Synergies:
Spoiler Alert!

Runners Up:
Spoiler Alert!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; January 2nd, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old December 19th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: December Custom Contest Poll - Vote by Next Year!

The poll's description says to pick 3, but the poll itself only lets us pick 1.
Old December 19th, 2017, 08:37 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

Haven’t voted just yet, but wanted to put my initial thoughts on “paper” before I made my final decision. Thought I’d share.

Jungle Beast
Strange name for not being a “Beast”! Really good on a map with trees or bushes. At 100 points and being able to bond with Spiders, still probably better than a Wyvern on a map that doesn’t have trees or bushes, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Romitaen’c
Weird name, reminds me of Sudema 30 points less than Nilf, with a weaker, shorter ranged Nilf ability and no bonding. He will very rarely run out of barbs, so I personally think the marker aspect should be removed, and a cooler ability added.

Manticore (Relentless Aquillan Predator)
Only 20 points more than a Wyvern, but definitely worth more than those 20 points if you’re bonding with spiders (and nothing wrong with that, as the Wyvern is mediocre)! I think he’s priced just right with an interesting special – it kills bunched up squads and kills heroes, what more could one ask for?

Manticore (Einarian Predator)
Another Wyvern replacement! Priced well, with a relevant, yet circumstantial special. Possible two attacks is fun.

Ol’ Scratch
Whoa, this guy has a tough hide (or rather, a lot of blood) with that 7 life! Unearthly voice is very unique, and very cool. Double attack isn’t overpowered here, as the range of 4, attack of 4 on a 190 body (although a bonding-with-Arrow-Gruts-body) keeps it in check.

Manticore (Utgarian Beast)
Another Arrow Grut bonder, but I feel this one is a bit too inexpensive. An easily rollable autowound ability and his status as an uncommon just puts him a little too over the top for me.

Manticore (Valkrillian Marauder)
I like how the tail has been turned into a defensive ability rather than an offensive one. This Spike-Tail Shot doesn’t even mean the end of ranged units, as they can just get 5+ spaces away before firing. I also liked the reused Legendary Creature ability here as well. It is appropriately priced, and would make a decent clean-up unit.

Akul
Another Arrow Grut bonder, but this one is ridiculously overpowered. 4 powerful abilities, bonding, and decent stats for only 130? One could get 9 attacks with a single Order Marker (and the only other way to do that is with ol’ Q9, the best offensive unit in the game. And even he can only make 9 attacks of 1)! I like powerful units, but this one is too powerful.

Manticore (Utgarian Devourer)
I don’t know about that Ferocious Jump – I’d rather get two attacks with his normal attack + Poison Spires (was it supposed to be Spines..?) and not risk the instant death of my 125 point investment.

Crimson Manticore
Yay an uncommon Manticore not named just “Manticore”! A fun, but often relevant, offensive ability plus a fun, but often relevant, defensive ability is very cool. The built in healing on a lower life’d hero is nifty too. Very unique unit. Appropriately priced.
ALSO, kudos for the best bio of the lot, IMO.

Tarkus
Another Arrow Grut bonder. Rat and high-priced-squad killer! The shorter range of the special keeps it in check. Terrifying Presence isn’t too relevant, but it works. Seems appropriately priced.

Manticore (Aquillan Beast)
Reusable Airborne Elite Grenade attack that bonds with Arrow Gruts… I like it! It doesn’t just drop out of the sky like the Airborne Elite, and is on a slower body than Zelrig, so it is appropriately priced. The Devour Whole ability won’t be relevant very often, but it’s cool and has good flavor.

Madyakhor
Hmm… 1/8 chance of doing 3 wounds to a hero from 5 range with no bonding… Cool, but I wouldn’t play it at 110 points.

Manticore (Valkrillian Predator)
Poisonous Quills is kind of weird to me – 4 range unless you’re facing Soulborgs or Hounds; the ability doesn’t quite feel complete. Good flavor though, especially with the Feast on Flesh ability. Would play it as a bonder to spiders over a Wyvern!

Manticore (Ferocious Aquillan Predator
Another human killer (I do like that flavor), and another Spider-bonder, but with a very dangerous counterstrike/evil eye defensive ability tacked on. Low attack units will think twice about messing with this guy. Would definitely play it over a Wyvern, the extra 35 points are well worth it.

Last edited by The Dewk; December 19th, 2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:07 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Oh whoops! Well... Change of plans, vote for your absolute favorite.

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 21st, 2017, 01:44 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Just like last time. I do hope that we'll be able to pick our top three next time, though!

Last edited by Astroking112; December 23rd, 2017 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Removed reveal of my vote to comply with new rules.
Old December 21st, 2017, 10:54 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I thought the Einar Ferocious Predator and the Utgar Ferocious Beast were the most elegant designs. I liked some of the other's powers better, but they were often paired with *too many* powers.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:29 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I liked some of the other's powers better, but they were often paired with *too many* powers.
I agree, there's a fair amount of overdesigning here. I liked the runner up designs better than a lot of the others. Tiranx's version of Man Eater keeps the power simple and not overbearing to the unit's value. JaesShurrig's Manticore is nice and restrained in terms of powers. HEROSCAPERMTL has a simple but useful version of Frightening Roar that has just enough flavor and plays the metagame. And Dark_Stranger's Androphagos not only keeps the powers simple but makes for some good decision points in play.
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:32 PM
On vacation...

I can definitely agree that I tended to let in more complex customs, for the most part... I ended up being the only host for this contest and, in all honesty, I don't think I'm all that gifted in terms of judging customs, I just like 'em.

If anybody is interested in co-hosting in the future, do let me know! However, since it looks like we might be able to get more entries now than in contests past, understand that it will disqualify you from entering contests that you help judge on.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old December 21st, 2017, 06:03 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

2 powers + flying isn't necessarily overdesigning, as long as the powers are simple and/or easy to understand. I'm a minimalist myself when it comes to most things in life, and I only see a few overdesigned/cluttered units here. You are doing a great job, @Dr.Goomonkey , and although not everyone would agree that the "correct" 4 were cut, it is what it is!
Old December 21st, 2017, 06:11 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I like a lot if the designs people entered. Good luck to everyone! (Overdesigned and all ).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 21st, 2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post
2 powers + flying isn't necessarily overdesigning, as long as the powers are simple and/or easy to understand. I'm a minimalist myself when it comes to most things in life, and I only see a few overdesigned/cluttered units here. You are doing a great job, @Dr.Goomonkey , and although not everyone would agree that the "correct" 4 were cut, it is what it is!
There's lots more to design complication than number of powers or even amount of text. The longer I've been in the customs world the more I've come to appreciate tight designs.

I certainly do agree that it's a fine crop of submissions here. I usually expect to see rules loopholes and other problems, but the designers here know what they're doing. I'd comment further but I have a stake in the game this time around. Maybe I'll find some time to do so after voting is complete.
Old December 21st, 2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
I'd comment further but I have a stake in the game this time around. Maybe I'll find some time to do so after voting is complete.
Here’s hoping! I’m curious what a customs veteran has to say, in more detail.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards