Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM

fostorial is surprisingly tart
HS Card Factory - Now with custom backgrounds!!

UPDATE 19th May 2009: After requests for more backgrounds I have implemented a feature to load custom templates from you hard drive. Infinite backgrounds! Instructions contained on page 6 of this thread on the web page.

UPDATE: 11th May 2009: I had to cancel my webhosting so it disappeared from the online world for a month. I've signed up for a free website to host this so it doesnt just disappear. Sorry. New URL is:

http://www.fostorial.webs.com/applet.html

UPDATE: I've put a fix in for the filename thing so now it saves with the correct file extension by appending the extension to the end of the given filename.

Also add a new and pretty useful feature, which is still in infancy but appears to work great. When adding a figure image, the program can now make the red hitzone directly from the figure image! Just choose 'add figure image & generate <UNIT> hitzone'. It works the same as before but adds two images instead of one. This is done using transparent pixels so for best results use a png or gif (untested) with transparency for the figure image.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is probably more appropriate for the software forum but the people I want help off are in this one so I figured I'd try here.

I'm working on a JAVA program to make creating custom cards less time consuming and a bit easier for the novice. While it is not a finished version by any means I was hoping some custom card creators could give this a try. I'll be updating it as new changes get made but so far the Einar card template works the best.

Unfortunately you have to print screen to get the final image and there is no support for portraits or hit zones (its probably coming but they are easy to put on with paint).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from people not graphically gifted. I'm curious how someone with little graphic design experience finds it but am also curious what the experts think.

Instructions:
1. Click on a text field and enter the values. The Ability text fields are still a little fussy (early version) so if it looks weird try pressing enter or space bar.
2. Select card template from the General menu. The positioning may be slightly off but I'm going to be fixing that.
3. Select 'Generate PNG Image' from the file menu to open the finished image file.
4. It uses font Arial Narrow. Not sure how it will look if you dont have it.
5. It uses java 1.6 but may work on a lower version. It works in firefox and safari. Havent tried IE because I don't have a Windows machine (let me know how it works)

Ive uploaded it as an online applet but I have an offline version if anyone is interested. The offline one is customisable for card templates.

URL:
http://www.fostorial.webs.com/applet.html

Thanks for your time!

P.S. It is being improved, just wanted to know if people would find it useful because I was thinking of hosting it somewhere permanently.

HS Card Factory (Online applet) - A simplified custom making tool!! (Designed for java 1.6, may work with 1.5)

Last edited by fostorial; May 19th, 2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Updated Applet
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM

'Scaper Zeta Woo who?
Re: Cardless Custom Creators Needed

I think that this program has great potential, and the ability to help those less graphically inclined a great way to get their customs noticed as lots of people don't like looking at blocks of text.

Keep up the good work, I'd love to see this finished!
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Will T is surprisingly tart

You've got a great start. I am using Window XP and Explorer 7.0 so I went ahead and plugged in the data for one of my recently posted customs. It looked good except the text boxes for the specials did not expand in the PNG file:
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:11 AM
The Chronicler

Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness Aeston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is a great tool and will be a real asset to the customs creators that have a hard time making thier own cards. I can't wait to see it develop more! +Rep!

6 RoTV, 3 SotM, 3 RttFF, 3 FotA, 3 VW, 3 TT, 3 TJ.
At least 3 of every common, 1 of every unique.

Aeston's Maps
Before Heroscape: The History that Lead to our Game
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:15 AM

Will T, I found that too. I thought the countLine method would count the number of lines but it turns it it counts new line characters instead. it's the first thing im trying to fix.

At the end of each line press enter and it will expand and also move all the ability text boxes down. Other than that did you find it easy to use?

HS Card Factory (Online applet) - A simplified custom making tool!! (Designed for java 1.6, may work with 1.5)
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:14 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostorial View Post
Will T, I found that too. I thought the countLine method would count the number of lines but it turns it it counts new line characters instead. it's the first thing im trying to fix.

At the end of each line press enter and it will expand and also move all the ability text boxes down. Other than that did you find it easy to use?
It is easy to use (so long as you hit enter after each line in the ability text). The trouble I'm having is, how exactly do you save the PNG? Right-clicking gives no menu. I've made up a card but how to save it?

BTW, great idea!!
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

A while back I was looking for a way to easily create HS cards online and I stumbled across Aviary. It is still in beta but I requested an account to test it out. Their online image editor is called Phoenix. I found it to be more useful than the online Photoshop editor.
Anyway, the reason for this story is that I abandoned Phoenix as, while possible to do, setting up the text parts of a HS card was going to be mind-numbing. However, fast-forward to now and here is fostorial solving that part of the problem. I took a screen shot of the fostorial's java applet produced card, uploaded it to photobucket, imported it into Phoenix, sourced some photos of my figure, made a quick and dirty LOS silhouette and here is the result.

Ignoring the silliness of the card and focusing on the mechanics through which the card was made; I'd have to say it was easily completed. In all honesty Phoenix is no easier to use than the GIMP, and given that I'd probably stick to the GIMP, but, if you find yourself in a situation where you cannot download the GIMP, then Phoenix is more than able to do the job.

I still have 5 invites for a trial of Aviary if anyone is interested...
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM

In the version currently online you cant save the PNG file directly. You have to print screen on it to take the image. This is the first applet i've written so I'm not used to the permissions thing. I've sorted it now by making a digital certificate for it so you can save the file as PNG or JPG directly to your computer. I'll upload it when I get home from work in about 3 hours.

The new fixes I have put in are:
- No line wrap on text boxes, must hit enter at end of each line (Just can't figure it out)
- The ability to add figure and hit zone images. You can add as many as you like and they support transparency as long as you have java 1.6 installed. You add them from the profile menu then drag to the correct position.
- The ability to save and load the text fields. The files are typically 1-2kb in size and store all text values and the general for the card. Unfortunately they dont store image data yet but that may be added in future.
- Positioning fixed for the ability text boxes.

P.S. Thanks for all the input on this, I think it's coming along quite well.

Old May 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
C3G Hero

Quote:
In the version currently online you cant save the PNG file directly. You have to print screen on it to take the image. This is the first applet i've written so I'm not used to the permissions thing. I've sorted it now by making a digital certificate for it so you can save the file as PNG or JPG directly to your computer. I'll upload it when I get home from work in about 3 hours.
What would be good as well is if you could have an option to 'copy image location' so that someone could upload it to an online photo site without having to download the card to a computer.

Quote:
The new fixes I have put in are:
- No line wrap on text boxes, must hit enter at end of each line (Just can't figure it out)
That would be alright. The way that it is now isn't a real problem, you just have to remember to do it yourself.
Quote:
- The ability to add figure and hit zone images. You can add as many as you like and they support transparency as long as you have java 1.6 installed. You add them from the profile menu then drag to the correct position.
Will there be any image editing ability or would this all need to be done before using the Java card tool?
Quote:
- The ability to save and load the text fields. The files are typically 1-2kb in size and store all text values and the general for the card. Unfortunately they dont store image data yet but that may be added in future.
It would be cool is if you could load all of the text from a txt file.
Quote:
- Positioning fixed for the ability text boxes.
A couple of more text suggestions.
  1. The text could do with being a larger font. The text in the abilities is hard to read.
  2. All of the words in the 'race', 'unit type' and so on area need to be right justified.
  3. It would be good if the word 'size' was in all caps, then you wouldn't need to remember to change it (I forgot )
Quote:
P.S. Thanks for all the input on this, I think it's coming along quite well.
No problems, it's a great idea.
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM

URL: http://www.fostorial.co.uk/hscustoms/applet/applet.html

It's been uploaded again and the new version works fine. Make sure you accept the certificate. Its needed to save the image files and open image files for the hit zones and figures.

I cant really make the copy image location because it doesnt save the image anywhere until you save it. It is all dynamically created within the applet.

I plan to try and get a basic image editor in but just to set transparent sections and maybe basic touch ups. Nothing complicated. The hit zone image and figure picture have to created outside the app. It can be done in MS Paint and IrfanView on windows really easily for people not great with graphics programs.

The text files only save the text. Figured this was OK for the moment since you need the image files beforehand anyway. This way you can save the text file so you can edit it later.

Text size increased a little, default text set in capitols and is right justified now.

Give the new version a try, works a lot better.

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Thought it would be good to show an example of the output files. Plus I wanted to test it. The figure image and the hit zone image were put together in GIMP. Everything else is done by the java applet.

His cost might be off but I think it's close.

Old May 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker Larmo knows what's in an order marker

I can't get my image to go up. I have it saved in paint, and its a jpg. If theres a size limit for the figures, that might be it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards