Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Notices

View Poll Results: Which map is the BEST?!
Primaerskog 3 9.68%
The Sinking Runnel 1 3.23%
Marro Thaw 1 3.23%
Wo-Sa-Ga's Quarry 2 6.45%
Mountain Pass 3 9.68%
April 1 3.23%
Halcyon 9 29.03%
Volcarren Paradise 4 12.90%
Jungle Fire 0 0%
Savage Corridor 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 15th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Wilds of Valhalla: MAP REVIEWS

Thanks for the reviews guys! I'm glad you enjoyed the map - overall I think it is my favorite map that I've made.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 27th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Marro Thaw by @legoboy

Doublespaced figures cannot access Glyphs, the build instructions have an incorrect amount of tiles (6 single-hex swamp terrain when only 2 come in a set), there are too many choke points in the middle lowground that limit movement and though the map is supposed to be partially asymmetric, it does not play balanced. One side has a couple 2-hexers for height close to the start zone, near the low ground and the other does not giving any ranged army on that side a clear advantage. And yet, it's a gorgeous map.
Tournament worthy?

Volcarren Paradise by @Robber

I really like this map, but 1) the special rules don't make it competitive for tournaments b/c it can really make strong heroes OP. Without the rules the game is still fun to play and I think it's a beautiful map...BUT my major qualm is that it doesnt do enough for Ranged armies. I know I don't usually say that and I'm all for helping the melee builds...but this is too far on one side. Melee armies (even knights) can move pretty fast across this small, low ground map...and almost too fast for ranged armies. A strong ranged army would be more forced to hunker down in the start zone rather than take the risk of development on this map, and that's just no fun. It will be very hard for ranged armies to take position on this map before their getting run over by melee units and I feel there needs to be balance even for ranged figures .
Tournament worthy?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 31st, 2017, 08:55 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I've just built Volcarren Paradise for the first time before taking it to our tournament tomorrow. It's a great looking map and I like the relative smallness in size compared to some other maps. Looking forward to playing on it tomorrow and I'll let you know my thoughts.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:04 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I loved Volcarren Paradise at our last tournament. Small and flat with a little jungle, but open sight lines and just a pinch of high ground for ranged units. I loved it and would use it again. YMMV, and that's ok.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:17 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
I've just built Volcarren Paradise for the first time before taking it to our tournament tomorrow. It's a great looking map and I like the relative smallness in size compared to some other maps. Looking forward to playing on it tomorrow and I'll let you know my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I loved Volcarren Paradise at our last tournament. Small and flat with a little jungle, but open sight lines and just a pinch of high ground for ranged units. I loved it and would use it again. YMMV, and that's ok.
Really appreciate the feedback. This was my initial review, but not an official stance yet. We've been discussing this map on a private forum and I'm going to playtest it a little more in depth to give it more consideration.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:11 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I also like the map and think it is most definitely a tournament worthy map. I of course did not use the special water rules in deciding this. I challenged sir H to give it another look, because I think it is good.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:23 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

We didn't use the special rules, either, though that would be fine for casual games. I played two 1v1 games and a 2v2 game on Volcarren Paradise. I liked how easy it was to move across the map, for all figures. At the same time, there's enough lava to make you cautious where your figures might end up. And thankfully, there are no real choke points where just one figure can sit and screw up movement paths. As far as concerns about ranged figures being steamrolled too quickly, I'm not sure it's that bad. In our games, ranged figures were just as capable as any other figure of establishing height. Sure, melee figures can get to them quicker, but they can leverage height advantage quickly and gain the advantage as well. It's definitely a map I'll be playing on again, because it was easy to build and fun to play on. Thanks!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the insight @NecroBlade . We really appreciate the reviews from the community as this helps our discussion and judgement of a map as well as our own playtesting.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 5th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Re-Review
@Tiranx and I playtested Volcarren Paradise last night and after a long discussion, decided it is tournament worthy. Though each map will at times benefit certain armies depending on the matchup, it is not a broken map, plays evenly and balanced and is aesthetically pleasing. It was also noted the placement of the startzones that allows ranged figures NOT be able to attack the opposing startzones on turn one. It was also noted the clever placement of the central water. Even with the low ground and Ticalla to help melee armies, ranged armies can very strategically camp behind the water pool and not worry about a frontal assault, forcing melee to circumvent the center, and giving ranged armies time to develop and get in some pot shots. The elevation also allows some fun and interesting strategic decisions to be made. Unlike some lava maps, this map was able to add molten lava without making it too much of an obstacle, and it helped direct the flow of troops. Well done!
Tournament worthy?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:45 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Re-Review
@Tiranx and I playtested Volcarren Paradise last night and after a long discussion, decided it is tournament worthy. Though each map will at times benefit certain armies depending on the matchup, it is not a broken map, plays evenly and balanced and is aesthetically pleasing. It was also noted the placement of the startzones that allows ranged figures NOT be able to attack the opposing startzones on turn one. It was also noted the clever placement of the central water. Even with the low ground and Ticalla to help melee armies, ranged armies can very strategically camp behind the water pool and not worry about a frontal assault, forcing melee to circumvent the center, and giving ranged armies time to develop and get in some pot shots. The elevation also allows some fun and interesting strategic decisions to be made. Unlike some lava maps, this map was able to add molten lava without making it too much of an obstacle, and it helped direct the flow of troops. Well done!
Tournament worthy?
That's what I'm talking about.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 25th, 2017, 12:28 AM

More Map Reviews

Jungle Fire by @TheEpicAlpaca
I've been thinking long and hard about my review for Jungle Fire. Initially, I like the looks of this map. I felt he did a good job of mixing sets that don't see themselves together too often. Here are my issues: The glyph behind the tree is too difficult to access from attacking armies: it's too well protected, secluded and defendable. My games consisted of one army getting there first and the other conceding the position as you can only conceivably get one attack in with melee and any ranged attack will either be from lower or on same level lava but no height attacks are possible. I loved playing amongst the lower swamp with lava, hive and some elevation...it was fun down there...but that's only where the action was. I found it faster and better position to actually cut across the swamp than to take the road and therefore neglecting that half of the map for the most part and keeping the conflict clogged in the middle/other side. The other main issue is that this map is the dream for a 4th Mass or other strong ranged army. Turn one, 5 move figures can take position on the heighted road just outside the startzone and hold their position with ease by having a tree, molten lava and lava field blocking the path of oncoming enemies. It is a very strong position to be able to hold turn 1 and in my opinion just too one-sided in that respect. I think this map does have potential though. It's got the basis for a great map, but I it'll take some workshopping to polish it up.

So for now...
Tournament worthy?

Halcyon by @capsocrates
After playtesting it, there are some clear flaws that make this map not competitive. Before getting into those though, I have to say it looks beautiful. Capsocrates did a great job with the sets he used to make this map look wild and great. The use of LOS blockers was masterfully done, especially with the smaller sized ice/rock outcrops. I like the wide open nature of this map and it's flat, fast-paced developing nature. BUT here's my beef. The MAJOR issue with this map is the division the central ice makes for the gameplay on this map. The games I played on this map, all the armies conflict focused around the Wannock glyph on that one side of the map. The tight area over there is where all the focus was. None of my army ever ventured to the opposite edge where more height was b/c i was never motivated to. Treasure glyphs do not pull conflict, but rather are something nice and shiney to pick up while going into battle. With the treasure glyphs on the outside and the height on the outside, I was never motivated to develop my army out there but rather was forced to fight for control over the wannock glyph on the opposite side of the ice. I did not enjoy that about this map. The gameplay does not use the whole map and rarely will...b/c even with a strong ranged army, one is more motivated to stay on the side with Wannock. The central ice is more the issue than wannock is though. By essentially dividing the map in half, the players decide the best course of action is to stay on the half with Wannock and try to get the upper hand. Because there's close height on that side it is also strategic to stay there rather than skirt around the outside edge of the central ice. My suggestion would be to simply remove the central ice and place wannock 2 hexes more centrally. To help direct traffic I would also throw in a couple water pieces as minor roadblocks for armies as they develop through the middle. This will OPEN up games enormously. Without the central ice and Wannock placed more centrally, the armies are motivated to take positions along the edge of the ice/shadow to keep height or to rush through the low ground middle. BUT that central ice is just too much of a dividing/limiting factor on this map for gameplay. BUT, I think it's almost there. With a few alterations, this map could be "Ship shape" and ready to go.

Tournament Worthy?

Wo-Sa-Ga's Quarry by @master4sword
This one is clear for me. The startzones are the issue here. Development of any army - ranged or melee - will be forced to waste movements moving centrally before ever developing out to the sides of the map due to the water that blocks movement from the startzone to the rest of the map. Melee armies especially will hurt because of this. It is a major no-no in my book to have too many decelerators that close to the startzone and this map puts water and immediate height both in front of the majority portion of the startzone. Not only will units be limited to moving 1 space on turn one into the water, but then they'll use the majority of turn 2 getting out of the water just to be 3 spaces away from their own startzone. This is concerning to me. The central area looks really cool, but there are major clogging/bottlenecking issues there. Glyphs are placed such that even though they may be susceptible to height attacks, if the right defenders are put in place along the low ground...it will be very difficult to get an opponent off of glyph control. In fact, in most cases I'd probably avoid the low, clogged central ground in order to keep the higher more open ground...which is good for glyphs because they make you have to choose...but I think in most cases I wouldn't bother on this map, and I think glyphs should create a strategic decision for players to make rather than a more obvious one to either completely avoid or completely control them...and on this map I'm feeling a more obvious choice to just keep the high ground and completely avoid the glyphs.

Tournament Worthy?

Sir Heroscape's Content

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; April 25th, 2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old April 25th, 2017, 12:41 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Halcyon by @capsocrates

Sir Heroscape covered most of my comments in his write up of this map. So, I don't have a ton to add. After a few games of this map, I was never able to get away from the Wannock side. I have to admit that of all the terrain types, the tundra set is my favorite and I have a hard time not favoring maps that use it when I judge them. Beside the issues previously mentioned, I had problems with with elevated stalagmite and single glacier pieces. I think they are some the most ingenious LoS blockers I have seen, but they lack stability. My first game on the map, we knocked them over four times in game and two more times when discussing the map. My last game, we knocked them over three times.

If there was a way to stabalize them a little better, I think it would improve the map a lot. I hope this map gets a redo in the near future and that I can start play testing on it again. Nice work caps!

Tournament Worthy?

Last edited by Tiranx; April 25th, 2017 at 10:42 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games