Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old November 8th, 2021, 06:30 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Boromir - Rough Draft

BOROMIR Rough Draft 1.2

NAME = BOROMIR

GENERAL = JANDAR
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = CHAMPION
PERSONALITY = TORMENTED
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 130

HORN OF GONDOR
Whenever Boromir receives one or more wounds from an attack or leaving engagement, even if he would be destroyed, you may roll the 20-sided die. Add 1 to your roll for every wound marker on Boromir's Army Card. If you roll a 1-12, nothing happens. If you roll a 13-16, you may move one figure you control within 12 spaces of Boromir a number of spaces up to their Move number. If you roll a 17-19, you may move up to two figures you control within 12 spaces of Boromir a number of spaces up to their Move numbers. If you roll a 20, you may move up to three figures you control within 12 spaces of Boromir a number of spaces up to their Move numbers. Figures moved with Horn of Gondor will take leaving engagement attacks.

DEFENSIVE AURA 1
All friendly figures adjacent to Boromir add 1 die to their defense.

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Last edited by TheAverageFan; November 11th, 2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old November 8th, 2021, 06:31 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Boromir - Rough Draft

[reserved]

~TAF

Old November 8th, 2021, 06:43 PM

Design Thoughts:
I've taken what might be a somewhat controversial take on Boromir: going with not giving him One Shield Defense in favor of Defensive Aura 1 to better protect those around him with his shield. His Horn of Gondor might also be considered sloppy, as the ability to move up to any three figures could be too strong depending on certain matchups. A flat move of 5 may work smoother for Horn of Gondor, but we're at a point in Heroscape now where some units have extremely low move so that may be problematic. It's also very wordy at present.

5 Life is average as is 5 Move. 5 Attack makes him dangerous enough given his lack of more than one swing per turn. 4 Defense due to his armor and shield made enough sense to me. At present he is 130 Points though that's just eyeballing it right now.

Champion for Class, though Leader, Knight or Fighter would suffice. Tormented for Personality, though Valiant could work.

Other Power Ideas:
One-Shield Defense: Obvious choice
Stab In The Back/Eternal Hatred: Due to his weakness to the Ring, though I'm not in favor of this one.
Warrior Spirit: The ability to buff a figure after death a la Viking Champion? Maybe, I don't know.

Let the workshopping begin!

~TAF

Last edited by TheAverageFan; November 8th, 2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old November 8th, 2021, 06:49 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Initial thoughts:

1) 5 defense is too high. 4 is the standard strong defense in classic scape. Boromir shouldn't have more defense than Nilfheim.

2) I think I would prefer Horn of Gondor to activate whenever Boromir is attacked instead of on his turn. Feels more thematic and makes when you choose to attack him a more interesting choice.

3) I would strongly prefer Boromir to be a "champion" so he bonds with Knights of Weston. He was the champion of Gondor and its one of the easier direct links we can make to classic Scape.

4) Defense Aura could work, but it might end up being too strong with Knights of Weston if that change gets made.
Old November 8th, 2021, 06:52 PM

Horn of Gondor being reactive rather than active would make KoW bonding much smoother, I agree. Defense Aura shouldn't be too bad as KoW already have Thorgrim (plus two existing outlets for Attack Aura 1 as well)

~TAF

Old November 8th, 2021, 06:52 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fifth thought: reducing the number of movement spaces of Horn of Gondor down to, say, 3, might solve the Knights of Weston issue.
Old November 8th, 2021, 06:54 PM

Sorry, posting on a phone so my thoughts are coming in a few at a time.

I'm curious about others thoughts on lower d20 requirements to move figures with less movement (2 or 3) v. Higher requirements but being able to move 4 or 5 spaces. I'm torn between the two right now.
Old November 8th, 2021, 07:00 PM

At present figures are moved a number of spaces equal to their Move value. A low flat move value movement might be more balanced but I'm not familiar enough with the Marro Hive rules off the top of my head to risk it right now (plus his horn should spurn fast movement for those capable of it).

~TAF

Old November 8th, 2021, 07:51 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Is "up to their move number" necessary? could it just be "move with 1 hero figure you control, if you roll an x-x, move 2", etc? And "even if he would be destroyed" also feels like it may be extra.
4 def, 5 attack, 5 life feels pretty strong, but with no other combative abilities, they are fitting stats.
Old November 11th, 2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Is "up to their move number" necessary? could it just be "move with 1 hero figure you control, if you roll an x-x, move 2", etc? And "even if he would be destroyed" also feels like it may be extra.
4 def, 5 attack, 5 life feels pretty strong, but with no other combative abilities, they are fitting stats.
Typically Movement Bonding powers (Nakita, Blastitrons) specify the number of spaces equal to the affected unit's move value so I figured it would be best to include specifying the unit's move value. As for "even if he would be destroyed", I recall it being mentioned on other units' powers for effects that trigger when taking damage, but I don't remember which specifically those units were.

Perhaps @Dad_Scaper of Help With Wurdz fame could assist here just to make sure everything checks out.

5 Life and 4 Defense is in line with other KoW bonding options, give or take a Life. 5 Attack is supposed to mirror Aragorn's 5 Attack, though that is significantly higher than most of the other KoW bonding options, save for Alastair (who has less defense and no buff for KoW). However at present Boromir is the most expensive bonding option, so there is that to consider. Playtesting will be needed.

~TAF

Old November 11th, 2021, 01:19 PM

How do y'all feel about making him Valiant? He was described that way in the text and it would let him work in a mixed KoW/4th build.
Old November 11th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Oh good! An invitation to peek in on this project. I wish I could do more but I am stretched very, very thin.

I don't remember the language on the Microcorps Agents, but IIRC the interpretation of their Armor power is that, no matter what, they get to roll for its protection. Consider something very closely based on that language, if you have not already done so.

Thanks for the tag!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs