Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old September 24th, 2021, 12:37 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I *almost* wish we had a rule that designers could not nominate their own designs. I would much rather see submissions where someone played someone else's design and liked it so much that they wanted it to be part of the canon. The SoV started as a way to vet and approve customs that were already known and loved by the community, but now it seems to operate (through no fault of its own) as a kind of personal design-approval committee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I actually think it is the availablity piece that keeps non designers from submitting. In my custom tread I have a shout-out to more than a few desigs I enjoy, but they have old figures that are rare, out of print or simply impossible to find.
This is first and foremost the reason I have never submitted anything from anyone else. If availability wasn't an issue I would instantly submit 4 different designs from other people. There are designs out there that are amazing, and I wish there was a figure, or in at least 1 case a squad full of figures that I could find to represent them. I hope that one 3D printing solves this some day, but that day is a long ways off.
Old September 24th, 2021, 12:52 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I *almost* wish we had a rule that designers could not nominate their own designs. I would much rather see submissions where someone played someone else's design and liked it so much that they wanted it to be part of the canon. The SoV started as a way to vet and approve customs that were already known and loved by the community, but now it seems to operate (through no fault of its own) as a kind of personal design-approval committee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I actually think it is the availablity piece that keeps non designers from submitting. In my custom tread I have a shout-out to more than a few desigs I enjoy, but they have old figures that are rare, out of print or simply impossible to find.
This is first and foremost the reason I have never submitted anything from anyone else. If availability wasn't an issue I would instantly submit 4 different designs from other people. There are designs out there that are amazing, and I wish there was a figure, or in at least 1 case a squad full of figures that I could find to represent them. I hope that one 3D printing solves this some day, but that day is a long ways off.
Absolutely agreed. I think another factor that I haven’t seen mentioned is the difficulty of play testing. There are several people’s customs that I think would make excellent sov submissions, but I’m hard pressed to find the time to extensively play test my own/c3v/aotv customs, let alone others’ customs that I think are cool.

Last edited by Captain Stupendous; September 24th, 2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old September 24th, 2021, 11:53 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I'd like to submit my Einar Monk design: Lee Jun.

Card text:
Spoiler Alert!

Known Synergies:
- Master Lao Xin
- Master Win Chiu Woo
- Sacred Band
- Ebon Armor
- Count Raymond

Balance/Playability: Lee Jun is naturally swingy, just like the squad. In a mostly melee fight where he can engage plenty of figures, He'll be amazing. Against Range he'll fall as fast as any of his fellow Monk Heros. His Bending Reed Stance can be great with some hot dice, and it's especially good when you can engage an Enemy hero who has Multiple attacks, but it's only as good as your defense rolls. You'll occasionally have an amazing game where he always gets his markers, and can wipe the board, but most of the time the ability is no better than double attack, and it's often worse due to it's inconsistency. Realin of course can help, but as a Melee figure, that's still pretty inconsistent to set up, and have it work out. As long as you don't attack Lee Jun, he can only attack you once. From my experience he averages about 60 points worth of damage in most games, so that's where I've priced him.

The figure used is a D&D figure from the "Giants of Legend" wave called "Scarlet Brotherhood Monk".
There is also a promo figure that has white clothing instead of red, but it is extremely rare, and expensive, so I didn't count it towards the availability.
I was able to find these quantities:
Quote:
6 GameHollow.com
10 NobleKnight.com
12 RPGLocker.com
10 MiniatureMarket.com
2 CoolStuffInc.com
14 TrollandToad.com
1 Amazon.com
30 Ebay.com (I made sure not to count stores that also list their items on ebay.)
This gives a grand total of 85 at this time. There were around ~120 a couple months ago when I checked. Hopefully the supply comes back.

Last edited by Leaf_It; September 30th, 2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typos
Old September 25th, 2021, 12:33 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

to review.

I like how he has a defense ---> offense flow to his powerset.
Old September 27th, 2021, 11:52 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Clean design and perfect choice of miniature @Leaf_It
Old September 28th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

The Feral Swog by @MegaSilver has received 4 Nay votes to review and is removed from the process.

Is it intended that Lee Jun can chain multiple Bending Reed bonus attacks together in a single turn?
Old September 29th, 2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Is it intended that Lee Jun can chain multiple Bending Reed bonus attacks together in a single turn?
Yes. That is the intention. It has the potential to be "Quadruple Attack" if you manage to successfully defend against 4 attacks without taking any wounds, and spend all 3 markers one after another. This maximum potential doesn't happen very often, especially since you usually want to use him as soon as he has any markers on his card.
Old September 29th, 2021, 10:49 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Just wanted to verify.

to review Lee Jun. I have some concerns about how much you're getting for 60 points, but his value is highly dependent on how well the opponent plays. Lee leaping into the middle of a bunch of squaddies looks quite strong.
Old September 29th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I *really* like the Bending Reed power. Strongly thematic.

"Close Quarters Combat Expert" is a clunky name. It sounds like a power we might give John Wick: someone who *can* fight at range, but is a particular expert in close quarters. And it has a contemporary feel, too. What about "Hand to Hand Combat Expert," instead? That sounds more monk-ish, to me.

Sorry to workshop in here, but I really like this design, and I want to see its best foot forward.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 29th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

to review Lee Jun. Looks like a cool design to give Einar a Monk and really fits along the other VC monks. I agree Close Quarters Combat Expert is a little wordy, but not the end of the world.
Old September 29th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

What about just Close Combat Expert?
That is what C3G uses.
Something simple like Fast Hands could work.
Old September 29th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
"Close Quarters Combat Expert" is a clunky name. It sounds like a power we might give John Wick: someone who *can* fight at range, but is a particular expert in close quarters. And it has a contemporary feel, too. What about "Hand to Hand Combat Expert," instead? That sounds more monk-ish, to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I agree Close Quarters Combat Expert is a little wordy, but not the end of the world.
Close Quarters Combat Training is a renamed Varkaanan Blade Defense from the Varkaanan Blade Dancers. I'm okay with altering the name a bit, if that's something enough people take issue with. I just wanted to give it a more generic name so that it could be reused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
What about just Close Combat Expert?
That is what C3G uses.
Something simple like Fast Hands could work.
I actually tried "Close Quarters Expert" initially. I put that one through the Pre-SoV like a year and a half ago, and was asked to use the full "Close Quarters Combat Expert", though I don't remember exactly who asked for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Just wanted to verify.

to review Lee Jun. I have some concerns about how much you're getting for 60 points, but his value is highly dependent on how well the opponent plays. Lee leaping into the middle of a bunch of squaddies looks quite strong.
Yes. His price is based on how well he did when I was actively trying to avoid giving him markers. I treated him a lot like Krug in my testing, where I would either ignore him, or heavily focus him down. That is key to fighting him. You don't want to just attack him occasionally. You either go all in, or you don't attack him at all. This is why I have the line in my submission "As long as you don't attack Lee Jun, he can only attack you once." In a Monk army, if he doesn't have at least 1 marker, there are almost always better options to take a turn with.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs