Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberman
Fiction: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Great surrealist writer with an ear for slightly off-kilter dialogue and a good sense of underlying theme derived from seemingly random occurances.
I've heard from quite a few people that The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is great. It's on my list. I've read other Murakami (something about an elephant), and I wasn't able to get into it, but I will still check out the book you're reading.

I told my g-ma I was looking for the Truth and she said, "Fool, where did you leave it?"

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Finished Stone of Tears last night, moving on to Blood of the Fold on my lunch break.
A good series. I still haven't finished it though. But then again, Wizard and Glass is the last "Dark Tower" book that I read. I heard that it ended stupidly so I have not brought myself to picking it back up.
I go through the fifth dark tower and that was it. I am happier it not ending. As for the Sword of Truth, I read the first 2 books in 7th grade , and lost a lot of what was so cool about it then.
You have to FINISH reading the Dark Tower series....I couldn't wait to finish. How can you not be curious about what happens to old Roland,Jake,Eddie,Susan or Oy for that matter??

The ending was actually quite fitting I thought.

Hyper~
I will eventually get around to it I think... the fifth book really put me off. I had to force myself through it and haven't gotten the sixth

DWARVES!
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM

fred the bug has disabled reputation
I'm about halfway through Guardian, Saviors of Kamigawa. It's the third book in a trilogy that's actually pretty good for being a novel based of a Magic the Gathering card set. So far, it has been just as good as the other two.[/u]

I'm James Murphy in the
Volcanic Island-Hangout
And the Arbiter (Halo 3) in the prismatic manor
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. I can't find any holes in the time travel plot; the magic is understandable but very non-RPG-style; and the man's writing skills just flat-out rock. Also has Egyptian elements and incorporates real events into a secret history. I strongly, strongly recommend it. Also, Declare by the same author is equally good, although longer and more challenging.
Anubis Gate is great hope you enjoy it

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old March 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Finished: The Prince
moving onto Against the Day

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old March 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
The Alphabet Versus The Goddess
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
On Fire like in NBA Jam!

Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Just finished the Bartimaeus Trilogy, at the same time finished the Dragonspell series, and am working on Year of the Griffin.

Can you defeat a mind such as mine?
Riddler
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM

fred the bug has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Gryphon
Just finished the Bartimaeus Trilogy, at the same time finished the Dragonspell series, and am working on Year of the Griffin.
The Bartimaeus trilogy was awesome.

I'm James Murphy in the
Volcanic Island-Hangout
And the Arbiter (Halo 3) in the prismatic manor
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberman
Fiction: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Great surrealist writer with an ear for slightly off-kilter dialogue and a good sense of underlying theme derived from seemingly random occurances.
I've heard from quite a few people that The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is great. It's on my list. I've read other Murakami (something about an elephant), and I wasn't able to get into it, but I will still check out the book you're reading.
I believe that is a short story collection. Short stories are often harder to appreciate as they only feel like fragments of an idea. My favorite Murakami is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End Of The World but I've only read 4 of his books so far. That one would appeal to any sci-fi/fantasy fan, though, or anyone with an interest in psychology. It loosely inspired artist Yo****oshi Abe when he created the anime Haibane Renmei.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
I am currently into the Lord of the Rings books, just about through Two Towers. They're great books, but very, very descriptive.

I finished the Harry Potter series right after the last book came out. Amazing.

I've also been through a bunch of the Star Wars: Expanded Universe books, and I think I'm going to take up the Golden Compass next.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM

HyperLight has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
I am currently into the Lord of the Rings books, just about through Two Towers. They're great books, but very, very descriptive.
I also thought parts of the series dragged on....Still a must read though!

I picked up a book from the StarWars: Rouge Squadron series a couple years ago and was quite impressed with it. It wasn't world changing literature mind you, just a fun read.

Hyper~

Better to reign in Hell, Than serve in Heaven - Paradise lost (1667)

Old March 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLight
I picked up a book from the StarWars: Rouge Squadron series a couple years ago and was quite impressed with it. It wasn't world changing literature mind you, just a fun read.

Hyper~
I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but I loved the Rouge Squadron (and later Wraith Squadron) series. I know a lot of people prefer SW books that use the main movie characters (Luke, Han, ...), but I preferred the fact that Rouge Squadron focused on characters that were either brand new, or had very minor roles in the movies. The relative obscurity of the characters gave the authors more freedom with the plots. For example, if Luke Skywalker is in deadly peril, you know he'll find a way to escape; can you be so sure if its Gavin Darklighter in trouble?

I agree these books aren't exactly Pulitzer material, but definitely a fun read, even if you're not a die-hard SW fan.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books