Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old February 25th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

I've been removing the bases in Blender and then flipping them on their back to print for the most part. As for priming them I just lay them on a cardboard box and spray one side at a time. I suppose I could use my pin vise to drill holes in the feet and then insert a paperclip to hold them up and prime them that way. I'd still use a box to spray them.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 25th, 2020, 09:50 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I see the picture. They look pretty good @scapedood
The knights look great. I would probably print the bases separate on my fdm printer though. Good job and thanks for sharing.
I've printed with with and without bases. It's easier to remove the supports without the bases. And they look nicer with separate bases.

But I have question about painting: How to you paint them without bases? How do you hold them to spray on the primer, and then how to you hold them without getting your fingers all over them?
I white tac the models to a cardboard box by putting a tiny piece of tac under their foot while spray priming them. Then I super glue them to the finished base to finish painting them. Heroscape bases are a little harder just because you don't want to get any paint on the sticker. But in that case you can just paint the feet before super gluing them down.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 25th, 2020, 10:00 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
I've been removing the bases in Blender and then flipping them on their back to print for the most part. As for priming them I just lay them on a cardboard box and spray one side at a time. I suppose I could use my pin vise to drill holes in the feet and then insert a paperclip to hold them up and prime them that way. I'd still use a box to spray them.
I normally bring them into Blender and then add pegs on the bottom that fit into holes in the bases. Then I can weld them to the bases for final assembly. But it's still a pain to prime and paint them.
Old February 25th, 2020, 10:02 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I see the picture. They look pretty good @scapedood
The knights look great. I would probably print the bases separate on my fdm printer though. Good job and thanks for sharing.
I've printed with with and without bases. It's easier to remove the supports without the bases. And they look nicer with separate bases.

But I have question about painting: How to you paint them without bases? How do you hold them to spray on the primer, and then how to you hold them without getting your fingers all over them?
I white tac the models to a cardboard box by putting a tiny piece of tac under their foot while spray priming them. Then I super glue them to the finished base to finish painting them. Heroscape bases are a little harder just because you don't want to get any paint on the sticker. But in that case you can just paint the feet before super gluing them down.
Thanks, that makes sense. I should get some white tac
Old February 25th, 2020, 10:56 PM

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

I occasionally use paper clips as pegs for basing anyway so it wouldn't be much more than what I'd normally do. Never had a superglued paperclip piece come off it's base that's for sure.

Old February 26th, 2020, 11:11 AM

scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby!

PSA: (disappointment ahead)
Was super happy with the work WhiteKnight had done using Photogrammetry, but I wanted to see if a proper laser scanner would improve the work further; so, I bought a Sol 3D Scanner. The Sol claimed to have detail resolution up to 0.1mm, but after trying for 2 days, I can say that this product is lie.

Here is a picture showing the difference between a 3 pass through scan vs one of WhiteKnight's models captured with photogrammetry.

SOL vs Photogrammetry Comparison

Supposed to be 0.1mm resolution, can't even distinguish 1mm hole in the gun of the marrow warrior that I did.

Just wanted to share so no one goes through the hassle, i'm trying to return it.
Old February 26th, 2020, 11:55 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapedood View Post
Was super happy with the work WhiteKnight had done using Photogrammetry, but I wanted to see if a proper laser scanner would improve the work further; so, I bought a Sol 3D Scanner. The Sol claimed to have detail resolution up to 0.1mm, but after trying for 2 days, I can say that this product is lie.

Here is a picture showing the difference between a 3 pass through scan vs one of WhiteKnight's models captured with photogrammetry.

Supposed to be 0.1mm resolution, can't even distinguish 1mm hole in the gun of the marrow warrior that I did.

Just wanted to share so no one goes through the hassle, i'm trying to return it.
Wow, that is crazy. Sorry for the expense, but thank you for the investigation and information! I have been printing White Knight's matte stls like crazy and love the results. As a group, we are getting lots of expensive characters in the hands of people that could not afford the online prices. Growing the community!!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old February 26th, 2020, 12:12 PM

It's interesting that it's such poor resolution that it provides but I don't think the technology is quite there to do it yet sadly. Thanks for trying though.

Old February 26th, 2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Wow, for that cost I'd expect a lot better... Thank you so much for doing this comparison!

Are you sure you have it set to the highest resolution, in both the scanner and in the software to crunch the data and create the model?

3DF Zephyr has an Ultra mode that doesn't show up in the regular menu--you have to go into options and enable it.
Old February 26th, 2020, 12:38 PM

scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:

Wow, for that cost I'd expect a lot better... Thank you so much for doing this comparison!

Are you sure you have it set to the highest resolution, in both the scanner and in the software to crunch the data and create the model?

3DF Zephyr has an Ultra mode that doesn't show up in the regular menu--you have to go into options and enable it.
I worked with customer service to make sure I was doing everything that I was supposed to; I used the tent that came with it to block out everything, I used it in "near mode" and I scanned it in 3 different positions. I tried this roman, a marrow warrior and a couple others. It was a real disappointment.

It's actually a very user friendly device, just doesn't deliver on output quality.
Old February 26th, 2020, 12:56 PM

Guillermo-Tell Woo who?

Hi,
about the figures and bases joint (or junction? ), I've noticed the figures overlap a bit with the base so, should we cut the figure with a boolean difference modifier first?
Also, what do you think about adding some pins and holes to both parts before printing? Something easy like cylinders? It should make it easier to assemble, but more difficult to print. From what I found looks like a 0.5mm (0.02inch) tolerance is needed to get a tight fit. If someone has experience with 3D print interlocking design it would help.
Thanks.

Just playing around...
Old February 26th, 2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo-Tell View Post
Hi,
about the figures and bases joint, I've noticed the figures overlap a bit with the base so, should we cut the figure with a boolean difference modifier first?
Thanks.
I've never had an issue, but it wouldn't hurt to cut them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing