Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Notices

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:42 PM

TJByrum is surprisingly tart
Re: HexScape

Unfortunately, I don't have any programs or practice in creating 3D models.

I think releasing MS1 will be ideal for the time being, if you're capable, and I sure hope you get more help.

I'd certainly help I don't really have computer skills, much less 3D modeling skills.

Whatever the case: good luck man, I hope you can achieve this goal one day cause it would be seriously wicked.

Quote:
What is left is the ability to put marker on cards (visible ones like wound markers, and hidden ones like order markers that can be revealed), and then, the big work to make it playable with two players over the network, and I think I'll be able to realse an usable alpha version.
I don't want you to think I'm rushing you or anything, but how long would this sort of stuff take?

I really wish I could help you out man, but like I said I don't have skills to do the things you need done.
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:00 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not sure if Deadmaxx is around anymore but he did a few 3D models...all of wave 1 along with Q9, Wo-Sa_Ga, and the Dzu-teh It would be worth a shot to see if he would be willing to help out.

Last edited by qt.bangerang; May 19th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:52 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
At my wife's office (design firm) they use a Kinect as a 3D scanner. I can ask her how they do it -- if anyone out there has a Kinect and a complete HS collection?
Please do ! Any information is good to take to determine the best way to turn our figures into 3D Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Have collection, no Kinect
Edit: on second thought, I don't think I have any Greeks...
The 123 Catch website allow to make 3D Models from simple photos. One just need to make around 20-30 photo of a figure from all around it and upload them in their website. It then make a 3D model. One may need to clean it a little, but they have some simple tool online to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have any programs or practice in creating 3D models.

I think releasing MS1 will be ideal for the time being, if you're capable, and I sure hope you get more help.
Yes, it is the goal : first an alpha version with just the MS1 so that people can see if the software meet their need, then a steady work to increase the available collection (while adding more fonctionnalities, like spectators, replay, stats, army building, army card/3d model sharing, custom decors, and so on, I have a LOT of ideas )

Quote:
I'd certainly help I don't really have computer skills, much less 3D modeling skills.
As said before, the 123 Catch website allow to make 3D model without any modeling skill. One just need a camera, and the time to make the photo and upload it. There is some cleaning to do after, but the big of the work is making the photo. You could contributing, when the time'll come, just by making photo, if you want.

Quote:
I don't want you to think I'm rushing you or anything, but how long would this sort of stuff take?
Well, it is hard to estimate. The markers on card should be done by the end of the week I guess, but the biggest part will be the two player over network thing. I still don't really know how I'll do it. I would like to not use a central server, but more a peer-to-peer approach. It'll probably be done in a month or two, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qt.bangerang View Post
Not sure if Deadmaxx is around anymore but he did a few 3D models...all of wave 1 along with Q9, Wo-Sa_Ga, and the Dzu-teh It would be worth a shot to see if he would be willing to help out.
Wahoo, good catch ! They are probably the one included in the VirtualScape sources, so I have the Wave1 models already (albeit in 3ds max format, a paying software), but not the three others. It seems Deadmaxx owns or have access to a 3D scanner, it would be super if he wanted to help out. I'll send him a pm when the time'll come. Thanks for the links.
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

I have a simple temporary solution to replace the 3D models :
Just create pre-made blanks 3D models looking like this (but in 3D, folded ^^)

And we'll just have to add a photo of the figure into this model to make a proxy of the figure.
Just making different sizes of "3D folded papers", you can make a small/medium/large/huge or double-based figure !

It just add some imprecisions for line of sight ("can I see through this folded paper?"), but makes every figures playable without confusion.

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieLoche View Post
I have a simple temporary solution to replace the 3D models :
Yeah, I thought of something like that. It would still be a big amount of work to make all the photo need for that, and removing the surrounding on the photo. Also, the best would be to have 4 photo of each figure (front, right, left, behind). It is less work than making 3D model, but not so much ^_^

some news :

I added the ability to add markers to the cards

3 types of markers are possible :

- Simple marker : All player can see it (like the grenade marker)
- Hidden marker : those marker are hidden to others player (they see a marker, but don't know the value), and the owner can reveal them (like the order markers)
- Stackable marker : You can have more than one of those marker on a card (like wound markers)

Visually :

This image shows :
- The Agent Carr has a order marker 1 revealed, an order marker X hidden, 2 wounds, and I'm navigating in the menu to add 2 more wounds to him (the menu opens with a right click on Agent Carr image)
- Finn has an order marker 2 revealed, and 3 wounds
- Thorgrim has an hidden order marker 3

To reveal an hidden marker, one need to right click on it :

(on the right bottom, you can see the buttons to rolls a certain number of dice)

I'll take some time to clean the code and push all the change on github, and then works on the big task that is making it playable online

I'm not really good with grapism, so my icons and image probably sucks. If someone want to make better icons/images for HexScape, I'll gladly replace my icons
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:38 PM

TJByrum is surprisingly tart

That looks like pre-XP Windows.

On topic, it looks great so far. the character images look good to me. It shows their faction's background and it doesn't show their base.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
That looks like pre-XP Windows.

On topic, it looks great so far. the character images look good to me. It shows their faction's background and it doesn't show their base.
Haha, it is Windows XP, with a retro theme

The characters images are from the rectangular cards found here, all thanks for thoses images should go to their creator

Here is the link to the last version of HexScape, as asked by Spuke Boy : dropBox link

As for the asset folder :

a new folder has been added for the dice. It is named... "dice" (really !)
inside it, a subfolder for each type of dice. Inside those folder, as usual :
- dice.properties to define the dice, containing :
- the name of the dice ("name")
- the values on the faces of the dice ("values"). Note that each value must have an image with the same name in the folder.
- the max number of dice of this type you typically roll at once (to choose the number of button tu display)
- a "icon.png" to represent the dice (optionnal in fact, the name will be used if this file does not exist)
- an image file for each type of face the dice has.

Another folder has been added to the asset folder, for the markers. Its name is.. "markers". A sub folder for each type of marker (you get it by now I guess)
Inside, a marker.properties defines the marker definition. It contains the name of the marker ("name"), the type ("type", three possible values : NORMAL, REVEALABLE and STACKABLE).
an icon.png file is used to display the marker.
Revealable marker needs two more images : "ownerHiddenIcon.png" to display the marker for the owner when it is still hidden, and "notOwnerHiddenIcon.png" to display the hidden to others players.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was think that you should add the Valkyrie dice to the program too. I know you could just count the blanks but it is so much cooler to see the Valkyrie symbols.

Keep up the good work!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:34 AM

The advantage of HexScape is that you can easilly add some new dice !

1) copy "asset/dice/01-HeroscapeCombinedDie" into "asset/dice/ValkyrieDice"
2) edit "asset/dice/ValkyrieDice/dice.properties" to change the name of the dice and the "maxNumberThrown" (put 12). Also change "blank" in the value for "valkyrieSymbol"
3) Delete blank.png (not needed anymore) and put a 24x24pixels image representing a valkyrie symbol face nammed "valkyrieSymbol.png" in the folder.

And Voila! you added a new dice type to HexScape. It's as easy as that, and does'nt require to change a single line of code !

You're right, I take note to add valkyrie dice in the packaged version ! Thanks for your input.

On another point, Spuke Boy alerted me that the version of the .jar file in the dropBox link provided was not the latest one.
It is now corrected, and the dropBox link now has the latest version, with dice, chat and markers !
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:19 AM

A lot of enhancement requests have already been made on the french forum, dutifully entered https://github.com/lyrgard/HexScape/issues to keep a trace for when I'll work on them.

For now, I'm working on the network part of the game, and it goes well ! I now see a little better how it will work :

It will use a client/server model. I considered using something like peer-to-peer to not need a central server, but a server is a good thing for some points, amongst them :

- easy to connect to, even if you are behind a firewall for instance
- solve the problem of dice throws. It is possible but complicated to implement fair dice throw between equals footing peer. Having a server make it easy.

I'll provide a public server for HexScape, hosted on a server I own.
If you can't or don't want to connect to this server, you'll still be able to :

- make your own server, as I'll also provide the server software to host yours own games
- play solo offline.

Having a central server is just easier to find other players.

HexScape server will be organized in "rooms". A room is a virtual space dedicated to one game. So there'll be an "Heroscape Room" for Heroscape.
When you join a room, you'll see the games currently runing or awaiting players, as well as the others players in the room. A chat will allow to discuss with those players to organize games, or just have fun chating.

I'm currently developping the room chat, and it works (small cosmetics things are still to do, but many player can connect, see each other and chat).
So all the technical parts to start the server, connect the client to it and the mecanisms of sending data from and to the server are done. (For the curious ones, I'm using the SpiderMonkey network framework that comes with JMonkey Engine.)

During the time, some french heroscapers, amongst them DanieLoche, are starting to experiment with 123 Catch to make 3D models of figures. The results are promising ! Still, it'll be a big work !

Stay tuned !
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Regarding the 123 Catch tips---

The big things are:

1) Try to provide some background or other texture that is VERY easy for 123 Catch to latch onto to figure out the orientation of each image. That helps to make all of the images count. My favorite way to do this is to put a sheet of printed paper underneath the mini that has a variety of things on it (images/text).

2) While the program seems to do a good job correcting lens issues, it still worked best for me to keep my point-n-shoot camera zoomed all the way out and taking all images that way.

If you have the equipment or want to hack together the equivalent--putting the mini in a light tent, on a turntable, with a fixed mounted camera seemed to provide the quickest and most reliable results of making a 3d model from a mini (provided the mini is on top of a printed sheet of paper as mentioned before). In other words, I rotated the mini using the turntable instead of walked around it with the camera. I marked the turntable on the edge on regular intervals and then just took an image of the mini at each interval. When done with that, I re-positioned the camera to a different height and repeated. Re-position the camera again, and repeat. Worked great and was a very fast way to ensure I had all the necessary angles!

I worked out the workflow using a variety of minis, but only did the zombie models as a final shoot, which I'm happy to share.

This is looking great, Lyrgard! If you're willing to make a HTTP-based or websockets-based server protocol, I'd be happy to provide a way to host it here on HSers.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for the tips Xorlof.

I first tried modeling Krug, from the pictures made by Lyrgard with this system :

The results are quite good (excluding a Weston that failed... we don't know why), but it's a little hard, first for 123D Catch to make the model because with the legos there are too many identical details and then for me to get rid off the legos... ^^
So the system is under improvement phase. ^^
So I tried at home with my Gruts, making this kind of pictures (26 photos) : (whitout any system, just "feeling")

And the final model was almost at the same quality ! The images on the tables helped a lot I think.
We're on the good wa, don't hesitate to help making 3D models guys, it's not that hard !

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software